× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Best way to use DiskInternals to recover data?

DrJones
Aspirant

Best way to use DiskInternals to recover data?

Hi my Duo v.1 died & I want to use DiskInternals to recover data from Disk1.

I DO have USB backups, but had my NAS configured to not delete old stuff first, so there may be duplicates / old info in the backups; if I rename a file from "FileA" to "File-A" I will have both files in my USB backup.

Anyway, there are about 1-1.5TB of data I need to get at, so speed of recovery is what's most important.

Here's what I'm thinking / hoping I can do, please let me know which will work and won't and the fastest way to recover data:

- Seems that you can run DiskInternals as a boot disk - so could I plug my DUO drive into the SATA port of a spare PC I have, boot to the CD and copy/paste files from it, to the other HD attached to the PC via SATA? If so, could/would PartedMagic do the same thing? I've used PMagic before. If this method is possible, seems it would be the fastest. Also DiskInternals makes no mention of Win7 compatibility - is this an issue?

- Connect the Duo drive to a Win7 PC via USB - far slower.

How do you use DiskInternals? Their website is a bit short on how-to's ' FAQs....

Thanks!
Message 1 of 11
StephenB
Guru

why not try partedmagic first, and report back on whether it reads the disk?
Message 2 of 11
DrJones
Aspirant

StephenB wrote:
why not try partedmagic first, and report back on whether it reads the disk?

Because I want to ensure that it's safe to simply connect the disk into the SATA port of a Windows PC and boot to PMagic before proceeding...
Message 3 of 11
StephenB
Guru

Then try connecting with USB and using diskinternals/linux reader installed under windows. Several people have done that. If someone replies who has run PMagic, you can always stop the process, and start again with SATA.
Message 4 of 11
DrJones
Aspirant

Thank you I just connected the drive via SATA/USB adapter & pulled a word file I needed.

I'm still waiting to hear if I can safely connect the drive directly to the motherboard via SATA to speed the recovery process.

Thanks...
Message 5 of 11
StephenB
Guru

Connecting to the motherboard should be fine. But I have not done it.

I would just start pulling everything - by the time you hear, you likely will be done recovering your data.
Message 6 of 11
DrJones
Aspirant

StephenB wrote:
Connecting to the motherboard should be fine. But I have not done it.

I would just start pulling everything - by the time you hear, you likely will be done recovering your data.

The parts for the new media server I'm building should all arrive by Friday....so yeah I guess I'll just start....

Thank you!
Message 7 of 11
DrJones
Aspirant

So I connected disk 1 from my Duo to a spare PC via SATA....seems to work ok....

But I discovered an enormous problem.....my iTunes library says it's got just over 24,000 tracks, 153GB of music.....98% of that is contained in a single directory, with a LOT of sub-directories...

When I recovered it from Disk 1, it is only 87GB, 15,000 files.... I compared individual folders that I know to be particularly large, such as Classical & Frank Sinatra....they are off by a lot.

I have another backup of this particular directory, fortunately, to compare with, and there is just a huge mismatch.

Is this a problem with the DiskInternals software, the ReadyNAS or what?

This is a very big problem and further cements my move away from any sort of Linux-based NAS device.

What's most bizarre, is I obtained the backup of this music directory by configuring Cobian on my Windows PC to backup from my ReadyNAS, to a drive on my Windows PC. I'm discovering folders on the NAS recovery / diskInternals that are totally empty.

What gives?
Message 8 of 11
DrJones
Aspirant

Does anyone have any idea why DiskInternals would not be able to read all the data off Disk1 of my Duo? I'm missing over 8,000 mp3 files....fortunately I had them backed up not only to a USB drive (or two) attached to my Duo, but also to a large disk inside my PC.

I'm so completely done with ReadyNAS, it's not even funny.....
Message 9 of 11
StephenB
Guru

I suspect the file system got corrupted when the NAS died.
Message 10 of 11
DrJones
Aspirant

StephenB wrote:
I suspect the file system got corrupted when the NAS died.

But I did a proper shutdown via frontview...it just was never able to boot back up.
Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements