× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Bios Update for ReadyNAS NVX Pioneer Edition

buriedpast
Guide

Bios Update for ReadyNAS NVX Pioneer Edition

Hi all,

Just wondering where I can determine the most recent BIOS version for my ReadyNAS NVX and where to download it from.  I've trolled the discussions before for updated BIOS for my Ultra 6 Plus, finding a link posted by Chirpa.  But, I've come up with nada for the NVX.

My current BIOS is 11/17/2008 ReadyNAS-NVX v1.3, running 4.2.30.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  And since I'm not a Linux guy, something that updates through the add-on section, if available, would helo.

Thanks!

Model: ReadyNASRNDX400E|ReadyNAS NVX Pioneer Chassis only
Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
buriedpast
Guide

Re: Bios Update for ReadyNAS NVX Pioneer Edition

That's good enough for me ... Thanks to everyone for the assistance. 

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 10

All Replies
buriedpast
Guide

I see now I posted this in the wrong area and can't figure out how to delete.  My apologies, still finding my way around.

Message 2 of 10
bedlam1
Prodigy

If you download this file from Netgear http://www.readynas.com/download/addons/x86/4.2/BIOS_Update_Package_0.5-x86.bin

then upload it as a firmware updateapp to your NAS it will update the Bios for you if an update is relevant.

It is alledgedly idiot proof !!!

Oooops Wrong info edited out as post below thanks to @StephenB

Message 3 of 10
StephenB
Guru

@bedlam1 wrote:

That solution refers to a Readynas Ultra but is equally relevant to all legacy X86 NAS

I think the bios part is, but you can't convert an NVX to OS-6, because the NVX is a 32 bit platform.

Message 4 of 10
buriedpast
Guide

Thanks both for the information.  I was acutally responding with my understanding that the OS upgrade wouldn't apply due to the 32 bit situation when StephenB chimed in, my thoughts being based upon information I received from the wiki page.  It's there that I downloaded the files necessary for OS6 upgrading my two Ultra 6 + units.

Information regarding the bios update file is sort of sparse ... I know it's for x86 units and am aware that's what the NVX is.  Just wasn't certain whether the 32 vs 64 condition applied to the BIOS update.  Thanks for confirming that it's applicable.

Now, the kicker ... anyone have the date of the current BIOS?  Just wondering how that date compares to mine.

Message 5 of 10
StephenB
Guru

@buriedpast wrote:

Now, the kicker ... anyone have the date of the current BIOS?  Just wondering how that date compares to mine. 

Best to check that first.  Hopefully @mdgm-ntgr will chime in (and he can also confirm that the add-on applies to the NVX).

Message 6 of 10
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The BIOS update add-on doesn't include one for the NVX.

In any case as mentioned OS6 won't run on the NVX as it is a legacy 32-bit x86 ReadyNAS.

Furthermore installing a BIOS update is not necessary for running OS6 anyway. It's just easier to install the BIOS update for systems for which there is one before updating to OS6.

Message 7 of 10
buriedpast
Guide

Thanks for all the input on my post.  Note that I wasn't interested in upgrading the NVX to OS6 since I was already aware that wasn't a possibility.

It's just that I've been in the habit of updating BIOS on my computers when desirable features became available and I figured I may want to apply that logic to the NVX (my brother's, actually).  Don't know exactly what those features may be for the NVX, but if some such as what I've read for other BIOS updates (sequential powering up of drives to avoid excessive load on the power supply when starting up comes to mind) were available, it might be worth the effort.

Still haven't heard whether it's possible to update the NVX BIOS, whether the installed BIOS version is current or where one can obtain an updated BIOS file if desired, so I'll assume info for the NVX is pretty much unavailable.  If that's the case, let me know and I'll close this topic as resolved.

Thanks again.

Message 8 of 10
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I think that's as new as I've seen for the NVX.

Message 9 of 10
buriedpast
Guide

That's good enough for me ... Thanks to everyone for the assistance. 

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements