× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Bit rot has detected an error and and cannot correct the error.

Blanker-2
Guide

Bit rot has detected an error and and cannot correct the error.

Hey guys,

I had a bad disk on my RAID6 array.  I replaced the disk and after it finished syncing I defragmented the volume.  During th defreg I received the following message:

Bit rot has detected an error within /readynas/86/movies/dvd/SLAP_SHOT/VIDEO_TS/VTS_01_6.VOB and cannot correct the error.  I have a backup which I hope has not been overwritten by the rotten file. 

Is there any way to find out why it could not repair the file?  I tried looking through the logs but I keep seeing the same generic message that looks like the one about without much more info.  Is there a certain log to check?

I think I only did a scub once and that was more than 6 months ago.  Perhaps that is the reason?  

Model: EDA500|ReadyNAS Expansion Chassis 5-Bay,RN102|ReadyNAS 100 Series
Message 1 of 4
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Bit rot has detected an error and and cannot correct the error.

Can you send in your logs (see the Sending Logs link in my sig)?

Message 2 of 4
Blanker-2
Guide

Thank you.  I just sent them.

Message 3 of 4
Blanker-2
Guide

Another problem crept up now.  I cannot run a scrub without the array failing.  Twice I tried to run a scrub.  It never completes.  The system becomes unresponsive, I unplug and it boots up syncing.  It also takes several tries to resync.  Currently, I can't get it to resync. It got to about 60% and just stops responding.  I had to unplug.  Twice already now and it won't resync.  No email alerts about anything.  It's currently saying "Connecting to the ReadyNAS Admin page...."

Model: EDA500|ReadyNAS Expansion Chassis 5-Bay,RN102|ReadyNAS 100 Series
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements