× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Bit rot protection has detected a silent error, now what?

john51
Aspirant

Bit rot protection has detected a silent error, now what?

My ReadyNAS with OS 6.2.2 has sent me the following notification:

Bit rot protection has detected a silent error within /data/.timemachine/MacBook Pro.sparsebundle/bands/200 on /dev/sdc3 and cannot correct the error.

Of course I am disappointed that it could not correct the error, but what am I supposed to do about it?

The affected file is a system file from Apple Time Machine, no idea of its purpose, or how essential it is.

Can I ignore this message? Should I delete the file?
Message 1 of 4
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Bit rot protection has detected a silent error, now what

Can you send in your logs (see the Sending Logs link in my sig)?
Message 2 of 4
john51
Aspirant

I am also not able to make Time Machine backups, after preparing for a long time Time Machine eventually gives an error message that there is insufficient space.

My hard dksi is 1000 GB of which about 600 GB is used, I have set the Time Machine volume to 1500 GB. I would like to reset it, but I cannot find a way to do it through the web interface. I have tried reducing the volume to 1 GB, and applying, but it has no effect. The web interface also does not show how much capacity is used. I am now considering logging in through SSH and emptying the volume from there.
Message 3 of 4
john51
Aspirant

I emptied the Time Machine backup volume through the terminal and started with a fresh backup, this has resolved the problem for now. Time Machine is working again.
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements