× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Bonding/VLAN bug in 6.6.0

simath
Aspirant

Bonding/VLAN bug in 6.6.0

I have found a UI bug (IMO anyway) with the Network/Bonding/VLAN setup in 6.6.0.

First the disclaimer (caveat):  This is running on a modified, unsupported (ancient) Pro Pioneer, upgraded with a 3.0 GHz E7600, 2GBytes 1333MHz DDR2, VGA connector, fan mods., etc.  The only non-factory build APP installed is linux-dash.  None of this has anything to do with the bug, but I don't want to be accused of leaving anything potentially important out, so...  Note: Full details below, FYI only.

Attached is a pic. that should say it all!  While playing around with various bonding modes (lots of reboots with a single NIC attached to recover admin control), I now have lingering "bonds" with a single NIC (eth0 or eth1 ONLY).  I can't delete them, change the settings, add a VLAN to them, or in any way modify them (just want them to go away!)  Anything I try results in a crash dialog popup.  The correctly bonded "bond0" works fine, as do VLANs added to it with higher IDs than the stuck 1-NIC "bonds".

Bonding Bug?

BTW:  If anyone is curious, the E7600 is pretty fast!  Even running maxed-out at a fairly well sustained 110MBytes/sec. I never see CPU throughput hit over 50%.  I'm pretty sure the old Seagate 1TB ES drives (7200 RPM, built like tanks!) aren't the bottle neck either.  In my case it's clear (again IMO) the NICs are the limiting element.  As has been explained before, due to the way bonding/teaming is implemented (even with LACP, 802.3ad thru 2+3 mode), it's hard to see increased net throughput via bonding, even with static LAGs, VLANs, a fast external network (4 teamed, i350 server NICs on a Windows Server 2016 TP5 server box, Z170 chipset, 6x 4TB WD Red/5200 RPM "NAS" SATA-III, 6Gbit, overclocked i3-6300), and a fast Layer 2+ smart switch ( NG M4100-D12G).  It is especially diappointing that LACP mode 3+4 (supposed to load balance on xmit from a single client) doesn't appear to work in 6.6.0.  I see the following in dmesg.log:

bond0: Setting xmit hash policy to layer3+4 (1)
bond0: option primary: mode dependency failed, not supported in mode 802.3ad(4)

Kernel log FYI on E7600:

Oct 07 12:08:31 SIMATH_NAS kernel: smpboot: CPU0: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU     E7600  @ 3.06GHz (fam: 06, model: 17, stepping: 0a)
Oct 07 12:08:31 SIMATH_NAS kernel: Performance Events: PEBS fmt0+, 4-deep LBR, Core2 events, Intel PMU driver.
Oct 07 12:08:31 SIMATH_NAS kernel: ... version:                2
Oct 07 12:08:31 SIMATH_NAS kernel: ... bit width:              40
Oct 07 12:08:31 SIMATH_NAS kernel: ... generic registers:      2
Oct 07 12:08:31 SIMATH_NAS kernel: ... value mask:             000000ffffffffff
Oct 07 12:08:31 SIMATH_NAS kernel: ... max period:             000000007fffffff
Oct 07 12:08:31 SIMATH_NAS kernel: ... fixed-purpose events:   3
Oct 07 12:08:31 SIMATH_NAS kernel: ... event mask:             0000000700000003
Oct 07 12:08:31 SIMATH_NAS kernel: x86: Booting SMP configuration:
Oct 07 12:08:31 SIMATH_NAS kernel: .... node  #0, CPUs:      #1
Oct 07 12:08:31 SIMATH_NAS kernel: x86: Booted up 1 node, 2 CPUs
Oct 07 12:08:31 SIMATH_NAS kernel: smpboot: Total of 2 processors activated (12235.88 BogoMIPS)

Model: ReadyNASRNDP6610|ReadyNAS Pro 6
Message 1 of 18
evan2
NETGEAR Expert

Hi Simath,

Could you please delete your web browser's cache, then try again?

Bond & VLAN is working OK on My RN626X GUI, please see the following picture,

Bonding_VLAN.png

For the VLAN function to work you need to also configure VLAN settings on your Switch,

VLAN Setting on Switch.png

Message 2 of 18
simath
Aspirant

Guess my post was too long to actually read and comprehend???  First, I stated that both bonding and VLANs do WORK, but there is a persistent non-valid batch of false "bonds" with only 1 NIC (which clearlly isn't a "bond" and should never happen).  What in the world would my browser cache have to do with this???  Do you think my browser has suddenly developed so much AI that it can autonomously generate kernel CRASH popups when I click on active elements of the GUI???  This is a software bug in 6.6.0....

Message 3 of 18
StephenB
Guru

I agree that the stale bonds that can't be removed looks like a bug in 6.6.0

@simath wrote:

...It is especially diappointing that LACP mode 3+4 (supposed to load balance on xmit from a single client) doesn't appear to work in 6.6.0.  I see the following in dmesg.log:

bond0: Setting xmit hash policy to layer3+4 (1)
bond0: option primary: mode dependency failed, not supported in mode 802.3ad(4)

It would load balance on xmit to a single client, not from a single client. 

This mode has never been fully LACP compliant, since it allows > 1 gbit of traffic to be sent to a 1 gbit client.  Another issue is that fragmented packets can stripe both interfaces, which creates issues on reassembly.  So I suspect  Debian 8 / Jesse removed support from its drivers.

Message 4 of 18
simath
Aspirant

Sage,

Thanks for your knowledgeable reply.  I guess I'll just wait until the next firmware update and see if those false bonds go away.  In any case I know exactly what steps to take to cause them to happen, if the NG s/w team is interested.

I was all set to upgrade to another ReadyNAS system, but started looking at the costs (this is for a small business).  For significantly less $$$ (compared to a new ReadyNAS 5-series) I was able to put together a couple of i3 servers (running Windows Server 2016) where NIC teaming works (it doesn't yet on Win10).  I've fully tested it and am able to get a sustained max. transfer rate of nearly 4Gbps.  That means the old Ultra6/Pioneer is a bit of a bottleneck, but I'll simply use it in a purely backup role, rather than as a file server as I'd planned.  As has often been stated on this forum, teaming/bonding is really more for reliability, rather than speed, and thus for most users not really useful.

I could have opted to go the 10G route, but unfortunately EVERYTHING related to 10G networking is still way to pricey for me.

Message 5 of 18
JasonQ13
Aspirant

I've seen a similar issue in a stock ReadyNAS.

What happens when you try to delete the VLANS?

14002089999?

Message 6 of 18
Kalle13
Tutor

Hi folks,

I`ll get the same error. After I click on delete to remove VLAN on my RN214 I get a cryptic long error number. Jut like JasonQ13. After that nothing changed.

Best regards
Kalle

Message 7 of 18
FramerV
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Kalle13,

Would it be okay if you can also post a screen capture of the error message. The community might have more inputs regarding your concern.

Regards,

Message 8 of 18
Kalle13
Tutor

Hi FramerV,

sure, no problem.

1.png

2.png

3.png

I hope you see everything.

Best

regards

Kalle

Message 9 of 18
FramerV
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Kalle13,

I am yet to try this out myself. Our LAB is being transferred as we speak, I will be trying to replicate this as soon as I can.

You could also try checking with NETGEAR support but I think you would be needing at least a per incident support for phone assistance.

Contact NETGEAR Support

Regards,

Message 10 of 18
evan2
NETGEAR Expert

Hi Kalle 13,

I reproduced the issue in local,

If create VLAN on bond, I saw the issue after reboot unit.

Issue only happen on bonding mode.

and will report to developer.

Message 11 of 18
Kalle13
Tutor

Thank you evan2 for your effort! I hope they will fix this in the next update. Best regards Kalle
Message 12 of 18
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@evan2 any update from devs on a fix?

Message 13 of 18
evan2
NETGEAR Expert

Hi Mutant_Tractor,

6.6.1 doesn't fix the issue,

the issue has been fixed on 6.7.0 Internal build.

Message 14 of 18
EasyBob
Aspirant

We are seeing the same problem on two new 3138s. Thank you for the update evan2, do you know when the 6.7.0 build is likely to be released?

Message 15 of 18
evan2
NETGEAR Expert

Message 16 of 18
EasyBob
Aspirant

Thanks evan2. When I get a chance to look at them I'll try the Beta firmware and post my results. Regards.

Message 17 of 18
EasyBob
Aspirant

Applied the 6.7.0 beta and that fixed the issue on both NAS. Thanks for the heads-up. 

Message 18 of 18
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 17 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 8 in conversation
Announcements