× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Boot-failure on a ReadyNas Pro 6

Joesaar
Tutor

Boot-failure on a ReadyNas Pro 6

I have been reading in the forum regarding this kind of problem and found that multiple users had a bit of luck when recieving a helping hand. My problem is from what I can tell the same, and was hoping if you somehow could point me in the direction of any kind of solution?

Sounds like bad EEPROM?

This is my current status:

• The Pro 6 had been running OS 6.10.0 for approx a week post upgrade from OS 4.2.31 without issue
  • I then shutdown the Pro from the front Power-button.
  • I then powered on and was unable to boot - the screen was stuck on "ReadyNAS"
  • I then power off and attempted to access the boot menu by pressing the reset button with a paperclip, powering on and holding it pressed until waiting for boot menu to appear.
  • I repeated the last step several times, holding the paperclip in for 15s, then 30s, then 1 minute..., however the screen would only display "ReadyNAS"
  • I have tried replacing the PSU but with the same result.
  • Tried to make an USB Recovery but could not get any respons from the LCD other that "ReadyNAS"
  • No activity on the NIC-lights, and RAID:ar finds nothing on the network.
  • I have removed all HDD:s and replaced them with just one 1TB dummy-disc.

If there could be any kind of help in this matter I would be very grateful.

Kind Regards

Mikael J 

Model: RNDU6000 (ReadyNAS Ultra 6)|READYNAS ULTRA 6 (DISKLESS)|EOL
Message 1 of 7
Sandshark
Sensei

It only takes +5V power for the NAS to display "ReadyNAS".  So, while the power supply is the usual first suspect, there are plenty of other things that can have gone wrong, most non-repairable.  But before you panic, go in and make sure you seated all the connections correctly when replacing the power supply and didn't knock the memory loose in the process.

Installing a VGA connector to the internal header and watching the boot on a monitor is a good debugging tool if none of the above suggestions help.

Message 2 of 7
Joesaar
Tutor

I´m currently looking for a way to connect the NAS to a display so I can get some more information at the startup sequence.

So going through all the old stuff for a cable to match the internal header as suggested.

Will update further regarding the state I get when I have a monitor connected.

Thanks.

Message 3 of 7
Joesaar
Tutor

Finally been able to connect a monitor to the internal display header.

I am getting a "MBR H" error.

Also fully able to enter the BIOS and all those settings.

What would the next step be?

Message 4 of 7
Sandshark
Sensei

Sounds like a corrupted internal boot flash.  If you can't boot to USB recovery, I don't know how to repair it.  Maybe try booting with a gparted or other boot disk/flash (after changing the boot option in the BIOS, of course).  I don't know if you can change the boot option in the BIOS to make it boot a USB recovery flash, but that's worth a try, too.

Message 5 of 7
Joesaar
Tutor

So, I have now tried a LinuxLive USB and successfully booted that.

I have full network action and all other functions of the hardware.

I can see all the drives including the 128MB USB-drive that ìm guessing the readynas OS supposed to be running on?

Also found this thread that seems to have had the same issue and been able to use a "image" from another unit to have it restored?

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS-in-Business/Readynas-Pro-6-won-t-boot/td-p/1033...

Message 6 of 7
Sandshark
Sensei

That does, indead, seem to echo your situation.  And, if so, and assuming your flash memory is not damaged, that method will probably get you back up and running.  The problem is getting an image that doesn't contain somebody else's serial number, now that mdgm is retired.  Hopefully, another moderator can provide you with a usable image.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements