× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Boot up gets stuck on same file, tried booting into read only and stuck on different file.

michaelsammler
Aspirant

Boot up gets stuck on same file, tried booting into read only and stuck on different file.

Hello. There was an update, then I had a drive fail. I hot swapped it and everything seemed to work fine. Later when the nas shut down it would not boot up again. 

Raid X
Netgear RAIDar shows my nas.
Image 002 48.png

Boot up gets hung on a file called upnp.httpd.service everytime. Sometimes it is %90, sometimes %98 booted when it gets stuck.Left it on for a few days and no change. Tried a few times with same result. Tried to boot into readonly and boot gets hung on another file.

NAS is several years old and when I try to use the single service option for help it says "Not in my country". I am in USA.

I tried the OS instal boot, and it instals the os, then same boot issue of hung on unpn.httpd.service file.

I have not tried the USB method yet.

I can do a factory reset. I don't need old backups, just need to start backing up again. I am hesitant though, because I have a lot movies (with needed language subtitles) that will take a lot of time to put together again. So that is a final option after a week of trying things or so.

Suggestions?  Can I provide more info?

Michael Sammler

Model: RN104|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4- Bay
Message 1 of 8
JeraldM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Boot up gets stuck on same file, tried booting into read only and stuck on different file.

@michaelsammler,

Welcome to the community! 

I removed the dropbox link for your system logs since it contains risk of information leakage.

Upon checking disk_info.log, it seems that sdd (S/N: S301F6ZB) wasn't added to the RAID 5 and sda (S/N: S301EEYH) also has a high count of reallocated sectors despite being replaced couple months ago.

What we can do for now is to check the affected disks using their diagnostic tools.

Regards, 

JeraldM

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 8
michaelsammler
Aspirant

Hello,

I have used the built in TEST DISK boot menu option and all the disks have shown no issues.

Are you suggesting a seagate test?

Michael

Message 3 of 8
StephenB
Guru

@michaelsammler wrote:

Are you suggesting a seagate test?

Sounds like he is suggesting Seatools.

@michaelsammler wrote:

I have used the built in TEST DISK boot menu option and all the disks have shown no issues.

Netgear's threshold for bad sectors is higher than mine - I suggest also downloading the log zip file, and looking in disk-info.log.

Message 4 of 8
rn_enthusiast
Virtuoso

Yes the disk-info.log log is good to look at.

You can get it by downloading the logs from the NAS via RAIDar here and then open the zip file and find the disk-info.log

Message 5 of 8
michaelsammler
Aspirant

Here is the DISK INFO LOG from the RAIDar downloaded logs. I made it a pdf file so I could attach. Hope that works.

Thanks for the clarification.

Model: RN104|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4- Bay
Message 6 of 8
StephenB
Guru

sda (serial S301EEYH) doesn't look healthy. 

Try powering down the NAS, and removing that drive.  Then try booting read-only and see if anything changes.

It looks like it's in bay 4, though the numbering is a bit unusual (normally sda is bay 0).  So make sure you check the serial number when you pull the drive.

Message 7 of 8
michaelsammler
Aspirant

Thank you for your reply. The serial number did match up with bay 4's drive. I pulled it and booted as Volume Read Only. Still got stuck on upnphttp.service. 

I have tried pulling each drive one at a time to see if it would boot (regular, not read only) and it always got stuck on that same file.

Good to know that drive in bay 4 is not looking good. Thanks.

Michael

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements