× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Booting Checking FS

SabreDrilling
Aspirant

Booting Checking FS

Hi my name is Clive and this is my first Post

My issue is with ReadyNAS NV+ on a remote Land Rig which experienced power failure to the device.
Now when it tries to reboot the display message = Booting Checking FS
I briefly had a ping return from its IP but now nothing
1.2TB using RAID5 how long with the volume check carry on?
I noted in one ticket some guy said it fixed after 22days.
Message 1 of 10
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Welcome - Please post in here if new here

Did you have the "Disable Journaling" option checked.

If yes, then it could take a long time. Maybe hours.

If no, then it should be faster.

Do you see a percentage on the display?
Message 2 of 10
SabreDrilling
Aspirant

Thanks for getting back so soon

No percentage being reported.
All disk lights are green
ACT light Blank
Network connections lights ok

To my knowledge I did not change the Jouranl from whatever the default was set
Message 3 of 10
arjoseph1
Tutor

Have you try to do skip file system check?

Button to Hold
Power

Time to Hold
5 seconds

LED flashes

Boot Menu Mode
Skip Volume Check
Message 4 of 10
SabreDrilling
Aspirant

Hi, thanks for the info and advice, that was the plan but the NASBox is tuck in this mode Checking FS. Can I pull the plug safely so I can restart? Will the data get corrupted?
Message 5 of 10
maxblack
Aspirant

I'll bump this thread by asking a side question of mdgm or anyone else here: does the NV+ do a File System Consistency checK on any sort of regular basis (fsck)? If yes what are the details?

All I've read about "pulling the plug" is that after you do so it is recommended to do such a check, so I dunno that deliberately bypassing it (the previous post) is a good idea unless there is a way afterward to tell your NV+ "do a FSCK on next boot" or something.
Message 6 of 10
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Every so often when you reboot it will do one as a precaution. It will also do one after an unsafe shutdown.

If you do skip the check on the suggestion of NETGEAR (arjoseph is a L3) you should open a support case and attach your logs zip file so support can look for information on what's going on.
Message 7 of 10
maxblack
Aspirant

mdgm wrote:
Every so often when you reboot it will do one as a precaution. It will also do one after an unsafe shutdown.

Well "every so often" is not very often at all in my case. I looked in my most recently saved-out System_log.zip file from a couple weeks ago and found fs_check.log. It says a check was done in April 2010 due to a dirty dismount, and again in October 2011. Yikes that's not very often! :?
Message 8 of 10
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

How often do you reboot your NAS? If you leave it on 24/7 and never reboot unless you have a problem it will be a very long time between checks.

Backups are important.

Our latest devices use BTRFS which is more resilient against data corruption.
Message 9 of 10
SabreDrilling
Aspirant

Good evening all...I'm now ducking out off this string of posts.....after leaving the NASBox alone for a week it has completed the check and fired up. We have 1.2TB storage running RAID5. The result was Disk2 Dead. I was on the rig 3 days prior to this and changed out disk4. All was working great but the NASBox lost power after the UPS gave up.

So I guess the moral of the story if the "Checking FS" is encountered, leave well alone until it completes.

Thanks all for your contributions.
Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements