× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Booting Spinning Up

KellyGaddes
Aspirant

Booting Spinning Up

Hi

Sorry for the lack of detail however I think I am on the last release of RAIDar.

My ReadyNAS Duo+ is booting spinning up constantly although I am sure when I went on holiday two weeks ago it said it was spinning down.

As I have no access to RAIDar - although this does tell me the system is starting up - I can't turn it off. The power button doesn't respond and I don't know what to do as I can't seem to access it at all.

It's not good telling me it's not a back up solution as that's what I thought I had bought it for.  I have 2 disks in RAID mirroring each other but otherwise no back up of that data which includes very precious photos.

Can anyone tell me

a) How do I do a reset and if I do then does that lose data from the disks?

b) I was unaware that I had set it to do this so I don't understand why it has suddenly just started doing this when I have had the system for years

c) I don't have a continuous power supply - what would happen if I just turn the power off - would the machine reboot or is that likely to corrupt the disks.

Thanks for any assistance

Kind regards

Kelly

IMG_20170516_112951.jpg

Model: ReadyNASRND4000v2|ReadyNAS NV+ v2 Chassis only
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: Booting Spinning Up

Based on the photo you have an NV+ v2, not a duo.

If the system isn't responding to the power button, you really have no other option but to pull the plug.  There is some risk (and of course something is clearly wrong anyway).  First try pressing the power button twice - that is the method to do a graceful shutdown of your NAS. See page 23 here: http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/RND2110/ReadyNAS_Duov2_NV+v2_HW_en_23-Mar-12.pdf

Your best option is to contact Netgear support - you can ask for per-incident support, which is less expensive than a full support contract.  They'll likely want you to boot the system into tech support mode, so they can access it remotely.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 6

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

Based on the photo you have an NV+ v2, not a duo.

If the system isn't responding to the power button, you really have no other option but to pull the plug.  There is some risk (and of course something is clearly wrong anyway).  First try pressing the power button twice - that is the method to do a graceful shutdown of your NAS. See page 23 here: http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/RND2110/ReadyNAS_Duov2_NV+v2_HW_en_23-Mar-12.pdf

Your best option is to contact Netgear support - you can ask for per-incident support, which is less expensive than a full support contract.  They'll likely want you to boot the system into tech support mode, so they can access it remotely.

Message 2 of 6
KellyGaddes
Aspirant

Hi Stephen

Thanks for your quick reply.  According to my product registration I have an ReadyNASRND4000v2.  Also I took a couple of shots from the RAIDar screen and of the NAS which now says spinning down not up.

Just to say that the box is not hot to touch at all - it's not even warm.  Will it ever stop spinning so that I can access the NAS?  I don't know why it is spinning given that the setting says that it is not turned on.  I have attached a screen shot showing this as I can enter the Admin mode on the NAS by going in through the IP address even though it tells me that the NAS is offline, if I ignore this then it lets me look through the config. although I am still not sure if it will save any changes I might make.

Any advice on how I can turn off the spinning configuration given it is not even showing as on?  Should I do a reset - if so how and what is the impact of doing this?

How do I access Tech Support Mode?

thanks for any help

Spin down not enabled.pnghanks for any help

Kelly

RAIDar system starting up 29-7-17.jpgReadyNas Spinning down 29-7-17.JPGIP address shows system is offline.png

Message 3 of 6
aks
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hold up... I have an NV+ v2 and I have seen this mesage on the LCD display - it was not a real problem, the display update seemed to have got stuck (crashed).

To power down you need two presses of the power button within a few seconds. Press once to initiate it, press again to start the power down process. If nothing happens, press again (third time) in case it didn't register :)!

After reboot, the display will work fine again, everything will be ok.

Hope this works for you.

Message 4 of 6
KellyGaddes
Aspirant

OK so I pulled the plug and the machine powered up again and is working perfectly.

Thanks for the assistance

cheers

Kelly

Model: ReadyNAS RND2000v2|ReadyNAS Duo v2 Chassis only
Message 5 of 6
aks
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I recommend you run a disk check and confirm the integrity of the volume. It may have done this already, check in the logs.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements