× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Brand new RN104, sitting at "Volume data is syncing"

JerkyChew
Aspirant

Brand new RN104, sitting at "Volume data is syncing"

I bought an RN104. Booted it up with one 1TB disk to mess around with. My 4 3TB WD Reds arrived and I powered down, installed the new disks, and powered up. Re-set all my settings and let the volume build as the default RAID 5. The whole time. the front of the unit has said "Volume data is syncing, 2.4%". Even though the RAID build is done, the unit still says that on the front, as does the status section of RAIDar. The power button on the front of the unit doesn't do anything and I can't find anywhere in RAIDar to perform a graceful reboot. What do I do now?
Message 1 of 10
StephenB
Guru

Re: Brand new RN104, sitting at "Volume data is syncing"

Why are you thinking the RAID build is done? How long has it been since you started the 4x3TB install?

A graceful reboot of the NAS can be done from the admin web ui (on the system->overview screen there is a power icon next to the NAS icon. That lets you shut down and/or restart).
Message 2 of 10
JerkyChew
Aspirant

Because under System - Volumes there was a status of how far along the build was, and now it's no longer there and healthy. It took about 20 hours or so.

Thanks for the power info, I never noticed that icon before. Restarting the unit didn't help. Now what?
Message 3 of 10
JerkyChew
Aspirant

Two clarifications I just noticed:

1) The message about volume re-syncing does not appear on the actual RAIDar admin interface. It only appears on the application splash screen.
2) The exact message on the front of the unit is "Re-sync data: 2.64%".
Message 4 of 10
StephenB
Guru

Perhaps look in the logs and see if there is any clue on what triggered the resync.

Also, check the SMART stats for the disks.
Message 5 of 10
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Your system load average is by far the highest I've ever seen:

top - 23:47:09 up 4 days, 9:09, 2 users, load average: 93.94, 93.45, 93.20

Your data volume is 90% full with an iSCSI LUN.

What are the settings for the LUN?

Do you still have issues with a smaller LUN?
Message 6 of 10
JerkyChew
Aspirant

There is absolutely no data on the device at all, and I haven't done anything other than add disks and go through initial setup. I have no idea why the load average would be so high. The only other setting I tried messing with was enabling jumbo frames on the secondary NIC (My network switch is a Cisco SG300 with layer 2 jumbo frames enabled), which failed and I set the MTU back to 1500.

I want the device to be an iscsi target for my vmware cluster and nothing else, so I wanted one big LUN. All settings are the defaults and I've never connected to this unit from anything other than the web admin page. I've also never tried any other size LUNs. What are Netgear's best practices for iscsi LUN setups?

I can do a factory reset on the unit if you think it would help, since there's no data at all on it. But this is a brand new installation so it's a little concerning that it would have these issues right out of the gate.
Message 7 of 10
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

You should create a LUN that is less than 90% of the capacity of the volume. For virtualisation I would create a thick LUN with bitrot protection disabled and snapshots set to never.

Not sure what is causing the terribly high load average.

For virtualisation I would have recommended going with the 300 series or above. iSCSI on the 100 series is suited for light use.

Why are you using iSCSI rather than NFS?
Message 8 of 10
JerkyChew
Aspirant

When I created the LUN I created the maximum possible, as this was the only purpose for this device. It was thick but no bitrot protection. But there is nothing connected to it yet, so there must be an internal issue.

It is light usage - It's my home lab so there's not a lot of client access. Though to be fair it is my Linux DVR which, at roughly 8GB per recorded hour, probably transfers half a TB or so on a busy day. I'm not against using NFS; I just wanted block level access as I expected it to have the least amount of overhead. If I could get the dang thing to actually work I could run some performance tests on the different technologies and see what works best.

On another note, how do I get root SSH access? For some reason I can't find any documentation on these forums other than "you'll void your warranty". I've enabled the SSH server but the unit doesn't appear to be listening on port 22.
Message 9 of 10
StephenB
Guru

All you need to do is enable the ssh in systems->settings->services. So I suspect you did the right thing - not sure why it isn't working.

If you have no data, maybe do a factory reset (again) and create a small LUN. Then do the performance testing.
Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements