× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Browse disconnected hdd in win7 from RN104 raid

Saiko
Aspirant

Browse disconnected hdd in win7 from RN104 raid

Hi,

I've upgraded my ReadyNAS 104 succesfully from two 1TB drives (raid1) to two 4TB drives. Next I tried browsing this old 1TB on my win7 pc but unfortunately win7 doesn't recognise it. I've tried with DiskInternals linux reader 2.6, it can see it's a btrfs volume. But when I open it says raid array is damaged recovery is possible. But it seems it can only recover when both 1TB hdd are installed. I wanted to test this scenario where the ReadyNAS and 1 HDD of the raid is broken. So if this doesnt work I need to think about a new backup solution.

How can I browse my old 1TB readynas hdd on my pc?

Model: RN10400|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 4
StephenB
Guru

Did you try using a linux live CD boot disk?

You'd need to install mdadm and btrfs and then run a couple of commands to mount the volume.  For instance

# apt-get update
# apt-get install mdadm btrfs-tools
# mdadm --assemble --scan
# cat /proc/mdstat
# mount -t btrfs -o ro /dev/md127 /mnt

Though it's good to test that this works, I suggest you ideally should have a backup of the NAS on another device (for instance an NTFS-formated USB drive).

Message 2 of 4
Saiko
Aspirant

Not yet I will try that right away thank you for the details.

How do you propose backing up a 4TB NAS on an USB stick? 

I know NAS should never be seen as a backup. But I've tried backing up my nas to a webdav service. But the process took longer than 24hours for 1TB of data. And the Internet connection was not the bottleneck.

Message 3 of 4
StephenB
Guru

@Saiko wrote:

How do you propose backing up a 4TB NAS on an USB stick? 

I never said a USB stick.  I meant a USB hard drive.  If you get one larger than 5 TB, I recommend connecting it to a PC, and running the backup job over the network - the larger USB drives (notably Seagate) are SMR drives, which seem to misbehave in linux systems.

Personally I back up my NAS to other NAS, and use CrashPlan for disaster recovery.  In the past I have backed up NAS shares to dedicated internal drives in PCs.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements