× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Browser to nas-ip-address/admin using my real address works but states 'not secure'. Why? How do I

kesch
Aspirant

Browser to nas-ip-address/admin using my real address works but states 'not secure'. Why? How do I

How do get my ReadyNAS Duo to show/be secure in the browser 'nas-ip-address/admin'?  Also is a problem with Sophos PC security sofware.

Model: ReadyNAS RND2220|ReadyNAS Duo
Message 1 of 2

Accepted Solutions
Sandshark
Sensei

Re: Browser to nas-ip-address/admin using my real address works but states 'not secure'. Why? How

It actually is secure because it is on your own Intranet.  And you can't make the web browser like it any better.  You just have to click through it.

Unfortunately, browser programs don't check to see if the device is on your local Home or Work network that's considered private and secure.  And you cannot get what they consider a "secure" certificate for a private IP address.  So, they declare the sky is falling when you try to use HTTPS into a private address.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2

All Replies
Sandshark
Sensei

Re: Browser to nas-ip-address/admin using my real address works but states 'not secure'. Why? How

It actually is secure because it is on your own Intranet.  And you can't make the web browser like it any better.  You just have to click through it.

Unfortunately, browser programs don't check to see if the device is on your local Home or Work network that's considered private and secure.  And you cannot get what they consider a "secure" certificate for a private IP address.  So, they declare the sky is falling when you try to use HTTPS into a private address.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements