× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: CIFS needs to be restarted or ReadyNAS needs to be rebooted

Limerick_fr
Guide

CIFS needs to be restarted or ReadyNAS needs to be rebooted

Hi all,

For many months now, I have been using SyncBackPro to backup files (mirroring) from computer to my ReadyNAS Ultra 2 with no issues.

Since few days, without any change anywhere, automatic backup cannot access the folders without me having to turn OFF then ON the CIFS service, or to simply reboot the ReadyNAS.

Once done, the backup runs perfectly.

What might have changed to suddenly request such restart/reboot?

Thanks for your help,

Lim.

Model: RNDU2000|ReadyNAS Ultra 2 Chassis only
Message 1 of 24
StephenB
Guru

What firmware are you running?

It sounds like the SAMBA service in the NAS is crashing.  You should download the log zip file, and look in there for errors that might be causing this. 

If you can't make sense of the logs, you can ask the mods ( @JohnCM_S or @Marc_V ) to analyze them for you.  The way you do this is to

1. upload the log zip file to a cloud service (dropbox, google drive, etc).
  2. Send a private message (PM) to the mods, asking them to analyze.  Include a download link to your logs, and also a link to this thread in the forum.  

You send a PM using the envelope icon on the upper right of the forum page.  DON'T post the download link publically.

Message 2 of 24
Limerick_fr
Guide

Hi StephenB,

Thank you for your help.

The firmware is RAIDiator 4.2.31 which is said to be the last curent one by the auto-update feature.

Something I forgot to mention is that the NAS is setup for a turn off at night and turn on in the morning. But it was already the case when everything was running without trouble. No change on that point.

I'll follow your advice to decrypt the log.

Thanks,

Lim.

Message 3 of 24
StephenB
Guru

@Limerick_fr wrote:

The firmware is RAIDiator 4.2.31 which is said to be the last curent one by the auto-update feature.

Yes, it was the final firmware release for the Ultra.

But it is possible to convert the Ultra to run OS 6 (currently 6.10.3) firmware, and many people here have done that. 

Message 4 of 24
Limerick_fr
Guide

Oh! didn't know about this OS...

I'll look how to perform that change.

Or maybe is there a tuto somewhere for that ?

Message 5 of 24
Limerick_fr
Guide

Sorry I cannot Edit my previous message anymore and have to post an other one... Smiley Frustrated

So I found a tuto here

But it deals with RAID recovery. As this part is still working fine for me, should I just upgrade with the OS6 file downloaded on my computer and then uploaded to the ULTRA 2?

Is that simple? Or is there any step to perfom before as it seems to be a major change for the readyNAS and a functionning Raid 1?

Message 6 of 24
Sandshark
Sensei

Conversion to OS6 wipes the drives, so you lose your configuration, data, and any apps.  You cannot restore a saved RAIDiator configuration to an OS6 NAS. so write down anything you need to.  Same with apps, write down anything you'll need to duplicate.  And, of course, back up your data for restoration after conversion.

Message 7 of 24
Limerick_fr
Guide

Ok, thanks Sandshark for the info.

So upgrading to OS6 means starting from scratch again... Even to rebuild the Raid 1 again I believe.

As I am not a super geek and I did this setup few years back (and lost a bit of brain cells and memory in the meantime), I will propbably postponed this upgrade, at least until I solve this CIFS daily issue.

Message 8 of 24
bedlam1
Prodigy

@Limerick_fr 

You may find this thread more helpful

LINK 

Message 9 of 24
Limerick_fr
Guide

Thank you bedlam1.

I had found this tuto form StephenB, but the links to the files are dead... especially PREPR4TOR6_0.1-x86.bin

And 4 years after this thread, I believe I should use ReadyNASOS-6.10.3-x86_64.img instead of R4toR6_6.9.3.bin?

Perhaps will I go for that upgrade but not before I fix this CIFS issue (or if it is part of the solution...)

Message 10 of 24
StephenB
Guru

@Limerick_fr wrote:

Thank you bedlam1.

I had found this tuto form StephenB, but the links to the files are dead... especially PREPR4TOR6_0.1-x86.bin

I can send you the instructions later on (with working links).  

But the main thing right now is to get the NAS running again.

Message 11 of 24
Limerick_fr
Guide

@StephenB wrote:

But the main thing right now is to get the NAS running again.

Yes absolutely.

Well it's running, but the CIFS doesn't work anymore after a nightly shutdown and daily startup. Like this morning for example. I sometimes have to turn CIFS OFF then ON. But not this morning... Smiley Surprised

This morning I symply had to run the process again and it worked...

Very weird...

However as you advised yesterday, I dropped the log.zip to Mark. Standing by for his feedback.

And for the upgrade to OS6, I think I have found everything here, from you StephenB. Thanks !

Message 12 of 24
StephenB
Guru

If you don't have a backup of the NAS, then I suggest making a backup of the NAS while you are waiting. 

One thing I now suggest for people converting their 4.2.x systems is increasing the RAM.  Some folks have run into out-of-memory issues post-conversion, as the memory requirements have crept up some over the years.

You can upgrade your Ultra 2 to 2 GB (it has one memory slot).  That will match the memory in the OS-6 equivalent (the RN312).  The Crucial CT25664BC1067 and the Kingston KVR1333D3S8S9 modules are both reported as working by other forum members, and both are inexpensive.  You can do this upgrade either before or after conversion.  I'd do it first myself (but after your CIFS problem is resolved, as upgrading the RAM likely will result in Netgear denying support).

Also, if you want to ensure your bios is up-to-date, it is easier to update it before you convert.  The latest BIOS for the Ultra 2 is from the 2nd of November 2011. You can see the bios version looking at bios_ver.log in your log zip.  If you want to update it (OS-6 conversion doesn't require it), you install http://www.readynas.com/download/addons/x86/4.2/BIOS_Update_Package_0.5-x86.bin as an add-on. 

Message 13 of 24
Limerick_fr
Guide

Thank you again StephenB for all these valuable information.

I will follow each of your advices as soon as I have the feedback from Mark regarding the logs.

I am afraid he might not see a lot because I discovered yesterday that it seems to be a random issue, despite it has been the same behaviour for the last 2 or 3 weeks.

Standing by then for the moment.

Message 14 of 24
Limerick_fr
Guide

Hi @StephenB,

So, I followed your advice!

1- Made a full backup on attached USB3 drive. Took almost one full day for only 300Gb! (From few Kb/s to a maximum 5Mb/s)

2- Upgraded the RAM to 2Gb with the Crucial CT25664BC1067

3- Updated the BIOS (from v1.4 to v1.8) with BIOS_Update_Package_0.5-x86.bin as an add-on

4- Installed PREP4TOR6_0.1-x86. bin as an add-on

5- Upgraded the OS to R4toR6_6.9.5.bin with the GUI upgrade feature

6- Updated the OS to ReadyNASOS-6.10.3-x86_64 using the automatic upgrade feature.

Everything went well and I am happy to discover a 21st century GUI... 😄

A bit surprise however to see how long it will take to Sync: about 60 hours for a 1Tb RAID1! Don't remember that it was so long when I initially confirgured it 6 or 7 years ago.

I wonder if I have to wait until it is finished before putting the data back in place in the share folders...

Something I can't manage to do is to have a successful test for the outgoing email using Gmail.

I used the default setup which is said to be OK and also tried with 587 as smtp server with TLS enabled. No joy.

It was the same with OS4.

Regarding the initial issue with CIFS, I haven't received any feedback from Marc for the logs, however, I told him that after 2 or 3 weeks with this problem, evrything went back to normal without changing anything...

Thank you for your valuable input to upgrade to OS6 !

Lim.

Model: ReadyNAS-OS6|, RNDP200U|ReadyNAS Ultra 2 Plus Chassis only
Message 15 of 24
Limerick_fr
Guide

EDIT previous message: I have found the solution regarding the Alert emails => allow less secure apps in google

Message 16 of 24
StephenB
Guru

I'm glad it worked out.

@Limerick_fr wrote:

A bit surprise however to see how long it will take to Sync: about 60 hours for a 1Tb RAID1! Don't remember that it was so long when I initially confirgured it 6 or 7 years ago.

I wonder if I have to wait until it is finished before putting the data back in place in the share folders...

It shouldn't be taking that long.  You might want to download the log zip file, and look at the smart stats in disk_info.log.  Though the estimates aren't always correct.

You can use the NAS during sync, but it will slow things down.

Message 17 of 24
Limerick_fr
Guide

It seems that I am not allowed to post anymore.

I have been trying to answer @StephenB at least 10 times, including the log he mentionned as a code, and despite my post is displayed in the thread as 18 of 18 (before the current 18, of course Smiley Wink), it is removed as soon as I go back to the forum...Smiley Frustrated

Don't know what's going on. Never had this in any other forums I have been using. Could it be because I copy the log report in code </> ???

EDIT: this post is accepted. Why my previous is being displayed at first in that current thread then deleted once I am back in the forrum ???

A try to copy the log report below:

Device:             sda
Controller:         0
Channel:            0
Model:              WDC WD10EZRX-00A8LB0
Serial:             WD-WMC1U6975282
Firmware:           01.01A01W
Class:              SATA
Sectors:            1953525168
Pool:               data
PoolType:           RAID 1
PoolState:          1
PoolHostId:         5e24a8c0
Health data 
  ATA Error Count:                0
  Reallocated Sectors:            0
  Reallocation Events:            0
  Spin Retry Count:               0
  Current Pending Sector Count:   0
  Uncorrectable Sector Count:     0
  Temperature:                    34
  Start/Stop Count:               19726
  Power-On Hours:                 45374
  Power Cycle Count:              2810
  Load Cycle Count:               219847

Device:             sdb
Channel:            1
Serial:             WD-WMC1U6973907
Health data 
  Temperature:                    32
  Start/Stop Count:               19731
  Load Cycle Count:               219886
Message 18 of 24
StephenB
Guru

@Limerick_fr wrote:

Never had this in any other forums I have been using. Could it be because I copy the log report in code </> ???

EDIT: this post is accepted. Why my previous is being displayed at first in that current thread then deleted once I am back in the forrum ???

Likely something in the post triggered the spam filter.

@Limerick_fr wrote:

A try to copy the log report below:

Device:             sda
Channel:            0
Serial:             WD-WMC1U6975282
Health data 
  Temperature:                    34
  Start/Stop Count:               19726
  Load Cycle Count:               219847

Device:             sdb
Channel:            1
Serial:             WD-WMC1U6973907
Health data 
  Temperature:                    32
  Start/Stop Count:               19731
  Load Cycle Count:               219886

The disks look healthy.  Is the sync still going slowly?

Message 19 of 24
Sandshark
Sensei

I have seen cases where drive caching is turned off during sync.  Another user reported it here, and I observed it during an experiment (for something else).  I have no idea why, and it seems to uniquely happen for RAID1.

From SSH you can use hdparm -i  /dev/sda and hdparm -i  /dev/sdb and see if you see DriveCache=enabled.  If it's not, there are some warnings about turning it on "on the fly", but the other user and I did so successfully.  Use hdparm -W  /dev/sda and hdparm -W  /dev/sdb.

Message 20 of 24
Limerick_fr
Guide

Thank you Sandshark for your help but I will have to make some search as I am not used to SSH and don't how to use it.

In the mean time here is where I am with syncing. The good thing is that I am over 50% now Smiley Very Happy

Message 21 of 24
Sandshark
Sensei

Sometimes the original estimate is wrong and it shortens as the process progresses.  Hopefully, that's the case with yours.

Message 22 of 24
Limerick_fr
Guide

@Sandshark wrote:

Sometimes the original estimate is wrong and it shortens as the process progresses.  Hopefully, that's the case with yours.

Well in fact I started the Syncing yesteray morning. So we are at a bit of over 30 hours non stop running.

Yes it is a bit unreliable as it has just decrease to 28 hours remaining...

Message 23 of 24
Limerick_fr
Guide

Hi All,

So a little wrap up to conclude this thread.

No more CIFS problem, even before upgrading to OS6. Strange issue during 3 weeks that disappeared by itself.

Very nice idea to upgrade to OS6 with increasing the RAM from 1 to 2Gb.

Syncing estimation is finally quite reliable. 60 hours estimated, started on Monday 8am, finished on Wednesday 6pm : 58 hours.

I did not use SSH as I was not sure of how to proceed. It was just a matter of patience letting the NAS running 24H a day.

Also backing up and restoring data was very long: over 24 hours for 300GB, each way...

But everything seems to run nicely now and very happy of the move.

Best to all,

Lim.

Message 24 of 24
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 23 replies
  • 10 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements