× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Camera Magic

Benny2019
Aspirant

Camera Magic

I recently purchased a RN42400 primarly for video surveillance. The product shows thousands of compatible cameras but on close inspection, most, if not all, of the cameras listed are no longer manufactured by the camera companies. I selected a camera from one of the listed manufacturers that is close to the model number of a supported camera according to ReadyNas documentation. I have the camera working on the network (yes it is a wired, not wireless (WiFi) camera) and can access the camera via the camera's provided software. I cannot find a way to get ReadyNas to find and work with the camera. Is there something I'm missing or is there anything (i.e. software configuration on either the camera of surveillance software) that needs to be done to make the camera work with the surveillance software provided with the ReadyNas?

Message 1 of 4
JohnCM_S
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Camera Magic

Hi Benny2019,

Welcome to the Community!

The NAS was using the Milestone Arcus before to integrate video surveillance to the system. This was already discontinued and selling licenses for that software was stopped. Existing users with license activated of that software can still use it.

Regards,

Message 2 of 4
Benny2019
Aspirant

Thank you for your information John. I purchased the unit in the middle of December 2018 and bought licenses for cameras at the same time. It is very disappointing to find that something I just purchased is no longer supported. It is even more troubling that ReadyNas would not respond to a support case that I opened on the product.

I looked at Milestone Arcus' website and it does not look like ReadyNas Surveillance at all. It seems that today some of the ReadyNas Surveillance information has been taken offline and links on the website now point to removed pages. The Smart Video Surveillance Solutions for Small, Medium and Enterprise PDF is still live and talks about ReadyNas Surveillance (https://www.netgear.com/images/pdf/Smart-Video-Surveillance-Solutions-Small-Medium-Enterprises.pdf) . 

What I have found through trial and error is that if I connect to the ReadyNas using Internet Explorer (I prefer to use Chrome or Firefox) that I can almost connect to a camera. I've found that IE is required but I must first use one of the cameras on the list inside the application and ignore the camera compatibility list that includes thousands of cameras that are no longer available. When I try to connect to the camera through the ReadyNas Surveillance application IE downloaded the Windows C++ and several other runtimes. However, the application still crashes when it tries to execute the  application to view the video stream from the camera. It looks like a PHP or JAVA application and the problem might be because Java is not installed on the computer. 

Message 3 of 4
Sandshark
Sensei

I think you have an issue with whoever sold you those licenses.  I don't believe they were still valid (which could explain Netgear not responding).  How Netgear let resellers know that and how they were compensated if they had "inventory" when ReadyNAS Surveillance was discontinued, I have no idea.

FWIW, I think running a surveillance program on a headless device like a NAS is a really bad idea.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements