× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Can I backup nas config, take out disks, reset, restore backup and insert disk back to avoid dat

itwinston
Aspirant

Can I backup nas config, take out disks, reset, restore backup and insert disk back to avoid data lo

My NAS keeps hanging after running for a while, day or days.

I can't find any clue so plan to reset it, but I like to keep the data on the disks (raid5)

If I take them out, backup config, reset, restore config and insert them in, will I loss the data, or it should be there as it was?

Thanks

Message 1 of 10
StephenB
Guru

Re: Can I backup nas config, take out disks, reset, restore backup and insert disk back to avoid dat

@itwinston wrote:

If I take them out, backup config, reset, restore config and insert them in, will I loss the data, or it should be there as it was?

The OS and the configuration is on the disks, and the system boots from the disks. A reset formats the disks and does a fresh factory install of the OS onto the disks.  It does nothing to the rest of the chassis.

Therefore it is impossible to reset the NAS with no disks installed.

@itwinston wrote:

My NAS keeps hanging after running for a while, day or days.

I can't find any clue

What NAS model do you have? 

Have you downloaded the full log zip file (shortly after a hang)?

Message 2 of 10
itwinston
Aspirant

Thanks. That really helps.

The NAS is used for backup so it is easy to reset after copy data out. I put a new disk in for a week now and it runs well, so I guess it is a software issue. I will try to copy and reset today to save troubleshooting time.

May I know where to find full log? From the admin web portal I found logs of not much helpful details.

Message 3 of 10
StephenB
Guru

@itwinston wrote:

May I know where to find full log? From the admin web portal I found logs of not much helpful details.

If you look at that log screen, you'll see a download control that will download the full zip file - which has a lot more info than you'll see on the screen.

Message 4 of 10
itwinston
Aspirant

I found that btrfs-transaction consumes almost 100% cpu time when I am rm some large files. Wil this be the reason that the system hangs?

Now the file deletion is completed, the process still consumes over 90% cpu. Btrfs quota is disabled.

Firmware: 6.10.7

Model READYNAS 314

Model: RN31400|ReadyNAS 300 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 5 of 10
StephenB
Guru

@itwinston wrote:

I found that btrfs-transaction consumes almost 100% cpu time when I am rm some large files. Wil this be the reason that the system hangs?

Now the file deletion is completed, the process still consumes over 90% cpu. Btrfs quota is disabled.

Firmware: 6.10.7

Model READYNAS 314

How full is the data volume?

Do you have snapshots enabled?  If so, are you using smart snapshots?

Have you looked at the log zip?  Disk_info.log will give you some of the SMART stats.  You can also look in system.log, kernel.log, and systemd-journal.log for btrfs and disk errors.  Though you can also search the log directly from ssh with journalctl, and check the smart stats with smartctl -x

Message 6 of 10
itwinston
Aspirant

Less than half space is used.

Snapshot is not enabled, but it is used to store snapshots from main NAS

smartctl -x looks all good. 4th faulty disk is taken out.

I haven't read through journal, it takes too much effort to find root cause.

Message 7 of 10
StephenB
Guru

@itwinston wrote:

smartctl -x looks all good. 4th faulty disk is taken out.

Did you just remove this disk?  Or has the volume been degraded for a while?

Message 8 of 10
itwinston
Aspirant

The issue happened before I removed the disk. After removing it still happens. I have got a new one already. Do you suggest me to insert it and see the result?

Thanks

Message 9 of 10
StephenB
Guru

@itwinston wrote:

The issue happened before I removed the disk. After removing it still happens. I have got a new one already. Do you suggest me to insert it and see the result?

A failing disk could result in a hang - particularly if the failure afftected the SATA  interface. But of course removal of that disk would have eliminated the hang, and that didn't happen.  FWIW, the system will be slower if the disk is removed, because it needs to reconstruct the data blocks on the missing disks on the fly as you access them.  But it will also be slower if you have a failing disk.

If you haven't managed to back everything up, then that should be the priority.  Then I'd suggest doing a factory default with all disks in place (including the new one), and restore the data from the backup.  Hopefully that will end the hangs.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements