× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Can I move all my HDD from NAS Ultra4 to NVX pioneer edition keeping existing datas?

nnay07
Aspirant

Can I move all my HDD from NAS Ultra4 to NVX pioneer edition keeping existing datas?

I am owning 2 readynas:

- A Readynas NVX Pioneer Edition, OS4 (latest RAIDiator available 4.2.31) with 4 HDD in X-RAID2 configuration

- A Readynas Ultra 4, OS4 (latest RAIDiator available 4.2.30) with 4 HDD in X-RAID2 configuration

Can I take out the HDD from the Ultra4, keeping the same HDD orders and place them in the NVX, keeping all the existing data on them? Or will I loose my data during the process?

If I am not wrong, both are X86 NAS, both under OS4, which tend to sound good.

However, I think that I read that NVX is 32bits while Ultra4 is 64bits, might this be an issue?

Will the NVX boot normally or will I have to do a FW upgrade (I do not know if the OS is stored on NAS itself or on the HDD)? In this case what is the best step by step procedure to follow (pre-download the FW image, any readynas FW upgrade tool I shall get if I use the https interface, previously activate SSH access (how? ad on which NAS),....?

My target behind, is to easily move all my data from Ultra4 to NVX, in order to be able to migrate Ultra4 to OS6, which will erase all existing information on the Ultra4 HDD. Swapping disks between empty NVX and Ultra4 is the fastest backup operation. It would allow me to crush my existing empty HDD on NVX (putting them on Ultra4) with OS6, while keeping all my existing datas stored today on my Ultra4.

Model: ReadyNAS RNDU4220|ReadyNAS Ultra 4,RNDX400E |ReadyNAS NVX Pioneer Edition|EOL
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: Can I move all my HDD from NAS Ultra4 to NVX pioneer edition keeping existing datas?

@nnay07 wrote:

I guess I have to be very carefull keeping the very same order of my HDD (XRAID2) when moving them from Ultra4 to NVX, right?

Left to right order will be understood in the same way by both NAS?

It's best to keep the order the same.

Left-to-right order matches.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

Re: Can I move all my HDD from NAS Ultra4 to NVX pioneer edition keeping existing datas?

@nnay07 wrote:

I am owning 2 readynas:

- A Readynas NVX Pioneer Edition, OS4 (latest RAIDiator available 4.2.31) with 4 HDD in X-RAID2 configuration

- A Readynas Ultra 4, OS4 (latest RAIDiator available 4.2.30) with 4 HDD in X-RAID2 configuration

Can I take out the HDD from the Ultra4, keeping the same HDD orders and place them in the NVX, keeping all the existing data on them?...

Will the NVX boot normally or will I have to do a FW upgrade (I do not know if the OS is stored on NAS itself or on the HDD)? In this case what is the best step by step procedure to follow (pre-download the FW image, any readynas FW upgrade tool I shall get if I use the https interface, previously activate SSH access (how? ad on which NAS),....?

Yes, you can migrate.  

The OS is in the flash and on the hard disks - but the system boots from the hard disks.  With OS 4.2, if the firmware in the flash doesn't match the disks, then the boot process will reinstall from the flash (even if it is older).  In your case, that would be an upgrade, so it's not a problem.  (BTW 4.2.31 is available for your ultra too).

There's no craziness needed, you can just migrate the disks with both NAS powered down.  If you have third-party apps, it might be prudent to uninstall them first (and reinstall them later), just in case there's a 32/64 bit compatibility issue with them.

Message 2 of 4
nnay07
Aspirant

I guess I have to be very carefull keeping the very same order of my HDD (XRAID2) when moving them from Ultra4 to NVX, right?

Message 3 of 4
StephenB
Guru

@nnay07 wrote:

It's best to keep the order the same.

Left-to-right order matches.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements