× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Can I swap disks between two ReadyNAS Pro 6 units.

kimbiel
Aspirant

Can I swap disks between two ReadyNAS Pro 6 units.

One of my old ReadyNAS Pro 6 units died on me. It is totally unresponsive - I think that the powersupply died. I have 6x4 Tb of data which I need to save. I have an identical second unit which is working fine. I see two ways to proceed. 

1. swap the power supply between the units - 

2. swap the disks from the failed unit to the working unit. 

I have purchased a new ReadyNAS 528x with 96Tb of disk - so my plan isto copy the contents of the working unit to the ne NAS - then swap the PSU or disks and then copy the contents of the second unit. 

Does this seem to be an ok plan?

Model: RNDP6000-200 (ReadyNAS Pro 6)|ReadyNAS® Pro 6 System Diskless|EOL
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Can I swap disks between two ReadyNAS Pro 6 units.

@kimbiel

Welcome to the Community!

Your plan should be okay specially if you have drives to spare using on the RN528X to be initialized. You can then replace the drives of your working Pro 6 with drives of the one that died and be able to boot it normally  provided that  both are using the default OS4.2

You can also follow the procedure on ,igrating disk from 4.2 to OS6 if you want but IMO your plan would be fine.

https://kb.netgear.com/29957/ReadyNAS-Migrating-disks-from-RAIDiator-4-2-to-ReadyNAS-OS-6-x86

HTH

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@kimbiel

Welcome to the Community!

Your plan should be okay specially if you have drives to spare using on the RN528X to be initialized. You can then replace the drives of your working Pro 6 with drives of the one that died and be able to boot it normally  provided that  both are using the default OS4.2

You can also follow the procedure on ,igrating disk from 4.2 to OS6 if you want but IMO your plan would be fine.

https://kb.netgear.com/29957/ReadyNAS-Migrating-disks-from-RAIDiator-4-2-to-ReadyNAS-OS-6-x86

HTH

Message 2 of 4
Sandshark
Sensei

The NAS configuration is completely strored on the drives.  So, assuming you have not updated just one to OS6, you can swap the drives and the second NAS will even report itself as the other one.  The only thing that will follow the chassis is any IP reservation on your router, since that's linked to the hardware MAC address, not the software.

Message 3 of 4
kimbiel
Aspirant

Thanks for the help. I swapped the drives from the dead unit to the living - it booted just fine and my data is safe. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements