× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Can Not Access NAS Device on Network

Cornerfield
Aspirant

Can Not Access NAS Device on Network

I turned off my NAS drive and kept it off for a few weeks. When I turned it back on, I no longer have access to the drive. How can I get back access? Thanks for your help in advance!

Model: Ready NAS Ultra 2 RNDU2220

The situation: 

1) I can no longer access the drive

2) I see the "ReadyNAS" icon in the Network section of my file brouser

3) I no longer see a blue screen icon at the top of the brouser designating the device, which I was able to click on to access the files inside

4) When I click on the the "ReadyNAS" icon, my internet brouser opens up and I get an error message saying "This site is not secure"

5) No new device was added to the network before the storage device stopped working

6) RAIDar application does detect the device as everything being normal

Please view the screenshots for your reference. Thanks!

Cornerfield

Model: RNDU2220|ReadyNAS Ultra 2 4TB (2 x 2TB Desktop)
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

@Cornerfield wrote:

Thanks, StephenB, for your attention to my problem. When I enter "nas-C1-A8-0A" on the file brouser, I get a box in MS Edge asking for User Name and Password.

You either left out the \\ altogether or typed // by mistake.  Try again with the correct slash, and it won't open up your browser.

@Cornerfield wrote:

I tried a few user names and passwords but did not work. I can not go any further than that... Shall I put in the Admin user name and password, which I need to look for? 

Yes, that is what it was looking for.  You should make sure you know it.  One option is to write it down and tape it inside the door of the drives.  Purists shudder, but if someone has physical access to the NAS then they can access the files anyway.

Generally speaking a NAS isn't an install-and-forget box.  You do need to log in to the web ui every now and then and keep track of what's going on with it.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 9

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

What happens if you enter \\nas-C1-08-0A in the file explorer address bar?

When the browser gives you the "is not secure" warning, can you click through that and log into Frontview (the NAS admin web ui)?

Message 2 of 9
Sandshark
Sensei

These are probably not associated with any changes made in the NAS.  Does the NAS show up in RAIDar?  Have you made any changes on the network (such as a new router) since the last time you used the NAS?

The the icon you still see that looks like a NAS will open the browser when double-cliocked.  The one you no longer see that looks like a monitor and keyboard will open Windows Explorere for share access.  

The warning you get when it opens your browser has to do with the type of security certificate a NAS must use on a local network.  You just have to click through it, unless you have disabled that capability on your browser.  It is unfortunate that the browser publishers don't allow you to disable that on a local network and make the warning so dire, when it is not under those conditions.

The icon you no longer see may be due to a couple of things.  One is that your older NAS OS (since you didn't mention running OS6, I assume you are still on 4.2.x) can only use SMB1.  That may have been disabled with a Windows update or simply because you've not used it lately.  Check in "Turn Windows Features on and off" to see if it's (still) enabled.  The other is the way network discovery works.  Did you previously have a Windows 7 or earlier also on the network?  That may have served as a "master browser" (different use of "browser than for Internet) that allowed your Win10 computer to see the NAS.  I've had all sorts of issues with Win10 accessing my NAS by name when the other discovery process is used, even under OS6, and have not figured out the real solution to it (though  I normally at least see the icon).  If accessing the NAS as @StephenB suggested, try using the NAS IP address instead of the name.  RAIDar or your router GUI can give you the IP address.  If either of those methods work, there are work-arounds to give you easier access.

Message 3 of 9
Cornerfield
Aspirant

StephenB,

Thanks, StephenB, for your attention to my problem. When I enter "nas-C1-A8-0A" on the file brouser, I get a box in MS Edge asking for User Name and Password. I tried a few user names and passwords but did not work. I can not go any further than that... Shall I put in the Admin user name and password, which I need to look for? 

Cornerfield

Message 4 of 9
Cornerfield
Aspirant

Sandshark, 

Thanks for sharing your wealth of knowledge. RAIDer finds the NAS with no issue and it claims that everything is normal with the storage device... I will look into your ideas one by one and try to find a solution. 

Cornerfield

Message 5 of 9
StephenB
Guru

@Cornerfield wrote:

Thanks, StephenB, for your attention to my problem. When I enter "nas-C1-A8-0A" on the file brouser, I get a box in MS Edge asking for User Name and Password.

You either left out the \\ altogether or typed // by mistake.  Try again with the correct slash, and it won't open up your browser.

@Cornerfield wrote:

I tried a few user names and passwords but did not work. I can not go any further than that... Shall I put in the Admin user name and password, which I need to look for? 

Yes, that is what it was looking for.  You should make sure you know it.  One option is to write it down and tape it inside the door of the drives.  Purists shudder, but if someone has physical access to the NAS then they can access the files anyway.

Generally speaking a NAS isn't an install-and-forget box.  You do need to log in to the web ui every now and then and keep track of what's going on with it.

Message 6 of 9
Cornerfield
Aspirant

Hi StephenB, 

The "nas-C1-A8-0A" trick worked on the second try! I must have left out the two backslashes as you pointed out on my first try. Now I have access to all my files back! 

Thank you for your advice. You and the other guy saved my day. 

Cornerfield

Message 7 of 9
StephenB
Guru

@Cornerfield wrote:

The "nas-C1-A8-0A" trick worked on the second try!

I'm glad we could help.

You can just get used to entering it (or changing the hostname to something easier).  It's also possible to create a shortcut on the desktop.

Message 8 of 9
Cornerfield
Aspirant

I like your shortcut idea. Thanks for the additional tip!

Cornerfield

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements