× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Can no longer backup Windows 10 PC to ReadyNAS 102

yahtzee
Tutor

Can no longer backup Windows 10 PC to ReadyNAS 102

I can no longer backup Windows 10 PC to ReadyNAS 102.  I get a 7077010020 error, which is a firewall error when testing the connection.  If I go ahead and run the backup it fails with a 'can not mount the source' error.  I have disabled firewalls. Checked the share permissions on the PC.  Made sure the NAS and PC are in the same workgroup.  Read threads where people had the same issue. Put the PC IP address in the path instead of the PC name.  This is a new PC so I went back to my old PC where all of the backups ran for years with no issue.  All of of sudden it is not working either, same errors.  I am beginning to suspect something got broken with the latest Microsoft updates. 

The path on the old PC worked with just the simple share name ie. "Videos".  I have tried using the full path such as users/rober/videos and still get the same errors.  I downloaded a program called Internet Quick Heal which has a Youtube video on how to fix the 707 firewall error, but their solution did not work either.  I am at my wits end.  Can anyone help?

Message 1 of 7
StephenB
Guru

Re: Can no longer backup Windows 10 PC to ReadyNAS 102

What firmware are you running on the NAS?

Are you using the PC's hostname in the backup job? If you are, try using it's IP address instead.

Message 2 of 7
yahtzee
Tutor

I am using Firmware 6.4.0.  I have not upgraded to 6.5.2 because in the past after I install the upgrade the NAS will hang on reboot.  Then I usually have to call for Tech support so I won't lose any data while trying to fix it.

I have tried using the IP address and still get the same error.  what's strange about this is that my older laptop which always worked fine with the backup, now has the same problem. 

Message 3 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@yahtzee wrote:

I am using Firmware 6.4.0.  I have not upgraded to 6.5.2 because in the past after I install the upgrade the NAS will hang on reboot.  Then I usually have to call for Tech support so I won't lose any data while trying to fix it.

While it's clear there is some risk when doing a firmware upgrade, a better strategy is to have a backup plan in place.  There are lots of security updates made over the past four years, and other software improvements.

And if you use the NAS for primary storage, you need a backup plan anyway. 

@yahtzee wrote:

what's strange about this is that my older laptop which always worked fine with the backup, now has the same problem. 

Can you access the NAS shares from the PC?

If you can't, then what happens if you run CMD on the PC and enter this:

net use * /delete

net use t: \\nas-ip-address\data /user:admin nas-admin-password

using the real IP address and admin password of course.  If you use flexraid, also change "data" to match your volume name.  Be careful on the typing - particularly slash directions and the spaces.

The first command terminates any open SMB sessions.  If it prompts, let it proceed.  If there are none, it will tell you that.

The second command attempts to mount the NAS data volume as drive letter T.  Let us know if this is successful (and if not, what error you get).

@yahtzee wrote:

what's strange about this is that my older laptop which always worked fine with the backup, now has the same problem. 

It's possible that your old firmware is using SMB 1 for the backup.  Microsoft is deprecating this version of the protocol.  You could also run "turn windows features on or off", and see if the SMB 1 server is turned on in your PCs.  If it's not, you could enable it, and see if that solves your problem.

Message 4 of 7
yahtzee
Tutor

I can access all of the NAS Shares from the PC.  I checked to see if SMB 1 server was turned on, and it was not.  Turned it on but still get all of the same errors. ' 7077010020' error when testing the connection, and 'can not mount share' error when running the backup.

Message 5 of 7
StephenB
Guru

Did you try accessing one of the PC shares from another PC?

Message 6 of 7
yahtzee
Tutor

I was able to access the share from another PC.  During this I checked all of the share settings again (numerous ones in Windows 10).  Made some changes and that fixed the issue.  Error was mine on the Windows side, not the NAS.

I do have another issue though, I am unable to delete snapshots and my disk is very full.  Can't describe the difficulty right now, but will do in next post.  But I wanted to let you know right away that the backup problem is fixed.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements