× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Can no longer get to web interface after firmware update 6.5.2

Andy_L
Aspirant

Can no longer get to web interface after firmware update 6.5.2

Hi all,
I’ve owned a ReadyNAS 102 since 2015 but not used it for quite some time. This week I’ve powered it back on and it was using firmware version 6.2.4 (I think). I backed up the data to an external device and attempted to perform the automatic update. This said it was installing 6.5.2 but on each reboot it was still showing the old firmware version.

I then tried to perform a manual firmware update by downloading the 6.5.2 file and the same result:
https://kb.netgear.com/31116/ReadyNAS-OS-Version-6-5-2

At this point the NAS is still functional and all services seemed to be working including the web interface but it will not upgrade the firmware.

I then tried to perform a “factory default” to see if this would resolve the issue but after this step the device boots with the power light flashing and doesn’t have a web interface. Performing a port scan against it can see that only telnet port 23 is open:
https://kb.netgear.com/22892/How-do-I-access-the-boot-menu-on-my-ReadyNAS-102-202-212-or-312

RAIDar has the status as “Corrupt Root”. So I then try to perform the OS reinstall. This gives me the same result. At this point device still shows as the old firmware version.

I do a little digging and find this article:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS-in-Business/Ready-NAS-102-in-accessible-corrupt...

Following the process and perform the USB firmware update and this seems to work as now the RADar app shows firmware 6.5.2. The problem is it still shows as “Corrupt Root” and no web interface to the device.

I’ve tried all the above with and without the disks in the device and get the same results. When the disks are in on the reboot RAIDar says “disks are dirty and need formatting” but this doesn’t seem to resolve even if left for 4-6 hours.

Anyone else got any advice to resolve this?

Model: RN102|ReadyNAS 100 Series 2- Bay
Message 1 of 11

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: Can no longer get to web interface after firmware update 6.5.2

"Corrupt Root" normally just means that the system can't boot from the OS partition on the disks.  It's unusual to see that error with the disks removed.

Try connecting the disk to a PC, and either zero it with vendor tooks (seagate or lifeguard), or remove the partitions with (windows disk manager will do this if you are running windows).  Then reinsert the disk (with the NAS powered down), and then turn it on.  The NAS should do a fresh factory install.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 11

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

"Corrupt Root" normally just means that the system can't boot from the OS partition on the disks.  It's unusual to see that error with the disks removed.

Try connecting the disk to a PC, and either zero it with vendor tooks (seagate or lifeguard), or remove the partitions with (windows disk manager will do this if you are running windows).  Then reinsert the disk (with the NAS powered down), and then turn it on.  The NAS should do a fresh factory install.

Message 2 of 11
Andy_L
Aspirant

Thanks StephenB,

Sorry to expand when the disks were out RAIDar status mentioned "no disks" not the "corrupt root" error. Sayinig that I still can't get to the web interface and only port 23 is open.

I'll check the disks out in the next few hours and clean them up.  Thanks for the advise.

Message 3 of 11
StephenB
Guru

@Andy_L wrote:

Sayinig that I still can't get to the web interface and only port 23 is open.

The OS is installed on the disks (and the system normally boots from the disks).  So this is normal.

Message 4 of 11
Andy_L
Aspirant

Just thought I'd update.  The two disks in the NAS were WD so went through the disk clean up process as recommended.  Even with virgin disks this gave me the same result.

So I then started to split the disks up and managed to get it to perform an OS install with just one disk to get it up and running.  Added the second disk and after it sync up seemed to work ok.  I then had a prompt for another firmware 6.10 but this would not install via the GUI or manual process.  Had to update via the USB mem stick method.

I'm going to run it over the weekend without putting all my data on it to make sure its all working before I trust it but I think I'm out of the issue now so thanks for your help StephenB.

The other strange thing which is why I want to test is after all these factory resets and OS installs I could still see my old accounts on the device including accounts for services no longer installed on it.  Is this normal after trying to fully reset a device things like this should still show up?

Message 5 of 11
Sandshark
Sensei

Inability to do an OS update via the GUI tells me you are not out of the woods, though I don't have any ideas as to the nature of the problem.

Assuming you are at 6.10.3, going backwards to 6.10.2 as a test via manual update in the GUI is safe.  I suggest giving that a try and if it works, then try going back to 6.10.3.  If either of those fail, there may be clues in the logs.  If it works, then it looks like the latest update did cure all ills.

Message 6 of 11
Andy_L
Aspirant

Thanks,

Its on 6.10.3 so will leave it like that for a bit and test what I can.  Just means with each update I need to perform via USB.

Message 7 of 11
Sandshark
Sensei

@Andy_L wrote:

Just means with each update I need to perform via USB.

That is really not a good plan.  Something is wrong.  USB recovery is not intended to be used that way.

Message 8 of 11
Andy_L
Aspirant

I'll try to roll back then I think some time on Sunday to try the process again.  Will keep everyone posted.

Message 9 of 11
Andy_L
Aspirant

Ok so went back one firmware and this let me then perform the latest from the GUI.

I then hit another issue where apps like Plex won't install so I think I need to perform yet another factory/OS reset which I'll try in the next few weeks.  I'll close this thread as the orginal issue is resolved but these units seem to really need a lot of TLC.

Thanks for everyone who has helped me on this thread.

Message 10 of 11
Sandshark
Sensei

One possibility is that your OS partition is too full.  A factory default will clear that up (OS re-install will not, and can make it worse), but you will need to find what is filling that partition or the same thing will eventually happen.

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements