× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Can not install any application

skrangel
Aspirant

Can not install any application

Hi,

I am running OS6.10.8 on my RN104. I am not able to install any applications on the ReadyNAS.

I have never had any applications installed and launched, as far as I can recall.

Now I want to upload iDrive and it stops at step 2 of 13. When trying to install any of the already provided application as Available Apps, they do not install.

Anyone having any idea on what might resolve the situation?

Skrangel

Message 1 of 5
StephenB
Guru

@skrangel wrote:

Anyone having any idea on what might resolve the situation?

See this (rather long) thread:

Netgear fixed the repo issue described in the thread, so you don't actually need to upgrade to 6.10.9.  Still, I would recommend doing that.

@Sandshark provided download links in post 37 that you likely will find helpful.

Message 2 of 5
skrangel
Aspirant

Thanks StephenB!

The resolution is perhaps slightly advanced to me, but I will go for it if I need to. Are there any risks with doing this, such as bricking the NAS or risking the data on the discs?

There has been some development since yesterday. After one more power off and reboot of the NAS it worked fine to install another application, the Plex Media Server. But it is the iDrive application I want to install and use.

I learnt from iDrive support that iDrive needs PHP5+ and browser functionality from the NAS. 

With this new information, is the suggested solution still my best option?

Btw, is this normal for ReadyNAS with this OS or did something happen to my NAS?

skrangel

Message 3 of 5
StephenB
Guru

@skrangel wrote:

Btw, is this normal for ReadyNAS with this OS or did something happen to my NAS?

This affects all ReadyNAS that run OS-6.  OS-6 uses Debian 8 Linux (Jessie).  That is quite old (the current stable release is Debian 12), and the Debian community archived it a few months ago.  So they moved the various repositories (including the various Debian libraries) to the archive.  One of the files (sources.list) has the new locations.  The other changes (apt.conf) allows libraries to be downloaded insecurely (also required due to the Debian archival).

@skrangel wrote:

There has been some development since yesterday. After one more power off and reboot of the NAS it worked fine to install another application, the Plex Media Server. But it is the iDrive application I want to install and use.

Some applications might not need new libraries to be installed, but others will.  So I do recommend applying the patches.  Hopefully Netgear will include them in a future OS-6 update.

Message 4 of 5
Sandshark
Sensei

@StephenB wrote:
Hopefully Netgear will include them in a future OS-6 update.  

I rather doubt it because of the requirement to allow insecure updates.  Netgear will likely see that as a potential liability.

The alternative would be for them to mirror the repository and apply their own signature.  But that could also be seen by them as risky.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements