× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Can't Remove Deleted Files on target

NASklr
Aspirant

Can't Remove Deleted Files on target

I have an RN102, 6.2.5 using the web gui to backup to a usb drive. I have a folder on the usb drive for each share on the RN102. I've created backup jobs for each share so that I can push the backup button and it will backup to the usb drive. When I go to job Settings - Advanced there's a check box to 'Removed deleted files on target'. When I click the box nothing happens. No check appears. How do I enable this feature?

I've been backing up without this feature enabled for over a year. (I didn't know it existed. I presumed it was a default feature.) I recently refreshed my 102 by restoring factory defaults, updating the firmware, restoring the latest saved configuration, then copying all my backed up files to the 102. I did this to clear out tons of stale old snapshots that had filled up all spare drive space (I won't be turning that feature on again). Much to my chagrin, every file that i thought had been deleted last year is now back, with no way to unwind.

The simplicity of the backup button is worthless if I have to manually clean my backup drive each time before running backups.

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

You can set up rsync (even with a local USB drive destination).  Just use 127.0.0.1 as the destination address.

Then the delete files not on source should work.

The other option is to start clean every now and then.  There are some benefits to that - if blocks on the USB drive fail, you might not discover that until you restore the backup.  Rewriting everything from time to time will reduct the odds of that happening.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

You can set up rsync (even with a local USB drive destination).  Just use 127.0.0.1 as the destination address.

Then the delete files not on source should work.

The other option is to start clean every now and then.  There are some benefits to that - if blocks on the USB drive fail, you might not discover that until you restore the backup.  Rewriting everything from time to time will reduct the odds of that happening.

Message 2 of 4
NASklr
Aspirant

That works, although I set 127.0.0.1 as source, not destination. Couldn't find much specific info on how to set up rsync to usb for os6. Toook a little trial and error to set up.

Message 3 of 4
pixel81
Guide

Sounds like you have something that's working.

You can also take a look at these steps to see if any of the information is useful for you - I still use this configuration for a weekly backup to a USB drive.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Backing-up-to-your-ReadyNAS/Backup-ALL-local-shares-to-USB-drive/m-...

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements