× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Can't access C and home - need help

Bacelo
Aspirant

Can't access C and home - need help

Hi Guys :wink:

I have the problem that I'm not able to access "C" and "home" which is shown in the network area of windows.
I remember that I was able to access the C root and also home at the beginning when the DUO was brand new
with the default admin user (user: admin & pass: netgear1). (I had changed the password)

- When trying to access "home" or "C" I have to enter user login data - I can't login with my account :shock:

What can I do do login again with admin / root account to access this?

Many thanks in advance for any help.

Cheers, Oliver
Message 1 of 15
ewok
NETGEAR Expert

You'll need to access the C volume using the admin login credentials (the username and password you used to access Frontview).
Message 2 of 15
Bacelo
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply.

ewok wrote:
You'll need to access the C volume using the admin login credentials (the username and password you used to access Frontview).
I know, and that's what I'm trying, but I can't access C and home using the same login data from the frontview. :cry:
Message 3 of 15
ewok
NETGEAR Expert

Are you able to access the other shares when you log in as admin?
Message 4 of 15
Bacelo
Aspirant

i can access the folders which are configured in the frontview:
backup, media, website
-> these are accessible with their permissions

Any Ideas? FW is the latest 4.1.3-T136
Message 5 of 15
ewok
NETGEAR Expert

If you access one of these shares and create a file, is the resulting file owned by admin? Maybe the NAS is seeing you as another user.
Message 6 of 15
Bacelo
Aspirant

I createt a test txt file and had a look at the security settings for the file:
-> goups & users:
-> anyone
-> nobody
-> nogroup

admin does not show up :?
Message 7 of 15
Bacelo
Aspirant

For some reason it's working again ... :wiggle:

I don't get it ... I deleted an user which I had entered a while ago (which
was not used and cofigured yet with any shares). Now I have non user -
only the default admin accountand I can access C and Home again with
the admin login.

Strange :?
Message 8 of 15
MaximG
Aspirant

Hello everyone!

I have to get into BT temp directory ("\\nas_ipaddress\c\.bittorrent") on my ReadyNAS Duo.
I'm trying to connect to "\\nas_ipaddress\c" as admin user with default password (i don't have yet changed) from my Windows XP Pro SP2, but the nas gives me an "Error password".
I have tried to map a drive to c using windows commands:

net use t: \\nas_ipaddress\c /user:admin

but the response is already "Access Denied".

Then i created a test txt file in media/BitTorrent directory. The security settings for the file are (groups & users):
- anyone
- nobody
- nogroup

Admin user does not exists!

Is there a setting I need to change to gain access to this folder? :cry:
Message 9 of 15
ewok
NETGEAR Expert

You'll need to change the admin password in Frontview before the admin user account will work.
Message 10 of 15
MaximG
Aspirant

ewok wrote:
You'll need to change the admin password in Frontview before the admin user account will work.

Thanks! Problem solved! :wink:
Message 11 of 15
skins
Aspirant

MaximG wrote:
Hello everyone!

I have to get into BT temp directory ("\\nas_ipaddress\c\.bittorrent") on my ReadyNAS Duo.
I'm trying to connect to "\\nas_ipaddress\c" as admin user with default password (i don't have yet changed) from my Windows XP Pro SP2, but the nas gives me an "Error password".
I have tried to map a drive to c using windows commands:

net use t: \\nas_ipaddress\c /user:admin

but the response is already "Access Denied".

Then i created a test txt file in media/BitTorrent directory. The security settings for the file are (groups & users):
- anyone
- nobody
- nogroup

Admin user does not exists!

Is there a setting I need to change to gain access to this folder? :cry:

I'm getting the above problem but I *have* changed the admin password (no other user accounts) and I get "the local device name is already in use" when trying to map the drive as above using cmd. (running 4.1.7 on a duo).

I'm having trouble accessing the BT manager and would like to clear the hidden files out. BTW I have never been able to access the \c or \home folders.

Please can someone help before I throw this useless thing at the wall and dig out my old Synology.
Message 12 of 15
ewok
NETGEAR Expert

skins wrote:

I'm getting the above problem but I *have* changed the admin password (no other user accounts) and I get "the local device name is already in use" when trying to map the drive as above using cmd. (running 4.1.7 on a duo).

It sounds like whatever drive name you're trying to use is already in use.
Message 13 of 15
sbiko
Aspirant

I am having the same problems as Bacelo who started this thread

No share access to C,nor to Home and any folders under it that a mounted when a domain user logs into my NAS. funny thing is when a make the home shares available by FTP, when i FTP a domain users sees the entire home share folder structure but on files.

Anyone with bright ideas on how to go round this.
Message 14 of 15
fruktan
Aspirant

I have a similar problem:

When I connect to my readynas with win7 and admin user I can see all the shares including "c" and "home".

But when I try to open them up I get the login popup. When trying to type in my admin credentials I get access denied.

I have changed my default admin password.

Another thing I am trying to solve is:

I have a share that two users have read/write to. But if "user1" have created something on the share "user2" can't rename or move it(only delete works). It says that user2 needs user1's permission to change it.
Is there a way to make that work without allowing read/write to the "everyone" group?
Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements