× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Can't access NAS by its name in the network after 6.10 upgrade

schumaku
Guru

So if DNS is fully workable, why should the NAS not being workable using the hostname?

Similar, with NetBIOS and WS-Discovery fully workable, there is no reason that the NAS isn't discovered and not show up in Explorer.

So for discovery, it's double fail safe, for name resolution, there are three independent systems ....it's hard to imagine that none of these all is working.

Message 26 of 30
EKroboter
Apprentice

I was referring to our current AD issues, not this. The NAS always showed up in Explorer. The user credentials is what keeps getting f**cked everytime I try AD integration.

Message 27 of 30
Sandshark
Sensei

My problem (and most I've seen in the forum) has never been discovery, at least as far as I can tell.  The NAS icon is sitting right there in "Network", ready to be double-clicked.  But it's when it's double-clicked that the problems begin -- I am denied access, with Windows saying the NAS can't be found.  Why putting the IP in the HOSTS file solves this is something I don't even understand, as that should be for a discovery issue.  But it works.

When a PC with this problem is freshly booted, the first attempt at accessing the NAS takes a very long time, eventally coming back saying I can't access it.  After that, the response is nearly instantaneous.  What it is trying, but failing, to do during that long pause is unknown to me, but likely a key in all this.

Note that I refuse to put my NAS credentials in the credentials manager and give viruses and ransomware an easier path to get to it.  But it should not be necessary that I do so.  It should ask me for credentials, as it does when the IP is in the Hosts file and sporatically on other PCs after a fresh reboot.

If it matters, my user ID on the computers and NAS are the same, but my passwords are not.

Message 28 of 30
dswhat
Tutor

I'm willing to bet that if you renamed the NAS in the interface, it will fix it, as it did for me.

I'm also pretty certain that something changed in the 6.10 release. I posted above and won't bug you with describing it again, but I got tired of it and just settled on the rename.

I have yet to apply the latest update it is saying I need 6.10.1

Message 29 of 30
StephenB
Guru

@Sandshark wrote:

Why putting the IP in the HOSTS file solves this is something I don't even understand, as that should be for a discovery issue.  But it works.

Well, it has to be that the PC can't resolve the hostname. 

Message 30 of 30
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 29 replies
  • 6 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements