× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Can't access ReadyNAS Duo discs. Need to recover data

Fredso
Aspirant

Can't access ReadyNAS Duo discs. Need to recover data

Help!

I have a ReadyNAS Duo vith two discs configured as mirroring each other. I have not used it for some time, because I had to move eout for some time due to renovation. Now I can't access the data. The NAS starts and shows a steady light. Raidar finds it and reports  its name, status: healthy and it's IP number, but not firmware version or model, and does not show any discs. I do not see it in Windows Explorer and can not access the admin page. When I ping it I get a response but it does not respond to the net view command. I really need to be able to recover the data! I have just bought a new ReadyNAS 212. Can I use this to get something out of the old discs?

Model: RND2000v2|READYNAS DUO v2|EOL
Message 1 of 4
StephenB
Guru

You might try removing the disks, and see if RAIDar shows a no-disks status.  You could also check the seating of the disks (and the memory).

I suspect this won't work, but you could try powering down, pulling disk 1, and see if the system boots with just disk 2 installed.

The simplest way to pull the data is to connect disk 1 to a Windows PC and use r-linux for windows ( http://www.r-tt.com/free_linux_recovery/ ).  If that doesn't see the data volume, try using disk 2.  The disk can be connected with a USB adapter or dock (or of course with SATA).

It is possible to mount your array temporarily in the RN212, but that requires support assistance (and I don't think that is free).  Details are here: https://kb.netgear.com/29876/ReadyNAS-Migrating-disks-from-RAIDiator-4-1-or-RAIDiator-5-3-to-ReadyNA...

Message 2 of 4
Fredso
Aspirant

Thank You for the advice!

I managed to get almost all of the files out of disc 2. Twenty or so files were corrupt, but it does not seem like any important ones. One thing that puzzled me, though, was that the recovery program reported about 620 GB, but after transfer to another disc, the data was about 360 GB. I have not found any files missing, and every file that I have tested has worked fine. During the transfer, the recovery program produced an extra file for almost every file transfered, so the number of files were slightly less than twice the number of files on the original disc. Well, I am  quite happy anyway, even if I do not understand all of this.

Message 3 of 4
StephenB
Guru

I'm glad you got the files you needed. Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements