× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Can't access ReadyNAS RN104, new IPs or credentials issue?

Cazzbags
Aspirant

Can't access ReadyNAS RN104, new IPs or credentials issue?

Hi

I'm a bit of a novice but had managed to set up my ReadyNAS 104 fine and access it over the last couple of years generally without hassle. A few times when moving towns and changing internet routers etc the IP address of the NAS and computer would change and I would need to add my computer IP to the list of hots on the network share so that I could access it via the mapped drives.

For some reason, as I've moved house and changed routers again, I've lost connection. I've checked the NAS IP and managed to get to the admin login again. I've also checked the computer IPv4 and added that to the list of hosts under each share. But for some reason I still can't get in. I've then, after doing some reading up, tried to edit the info in credentials manager to make sure it is ok. I've deleted the old credentials and done them again. The password is showing too many **** for the number of characters (not sure if that is an issue). Either way, I'm still not able to get in. I click on the mapped drive in windows explorer and it comes up with a password pop-up and won't accept my password.

Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong? How can I get back online?

I've seen someone mention that it's not very secure to add IPs as hosts but it seems to be the only way I've been able to get in through mapped drives. Is there a better way that gets around this constant IP change issue?

Please use small words and full instructions because I don't really know what I'm doing.

Cheers

Model: RN104|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4- Bay
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: Can't access ReadyNAS RN104, new IPs or credentials issue?

@Cazzbags wrote:

I've seen someone mention that it's not very secure to add IPs as hosts but it seems to be the only way I've been able to get in through mapped drives. Is there a better way that gets around this constant IP change issue?

Personally I recommend NOT using IP addresses as hosts at all.

One thing you can do in the router is to reserve an IP address for the NAS.  That would ensure that the IP address doesn't change.  If you give us the manufacturer/model for your router (or better still a link to the user manual) we can help you figure out if your router has that feature.

To the main issue though

• Do you have one or more user account set up in the NAS?
  • Do you have file permissions for each share set up for everyone access?
  • Do you have network access set up for everyone access (though you can disable anonymous access)

You can post screen shots here (or send a private message to me that has them if you don't want to post them publicly).  You send a private message via the envelope icon on the upper right of the forum page.

My own network access and file permissions are shown below.  You can start with these, and potentially tighten up access after you get it working. Ignore the "testgroup" bit, and enable read/write access for any user accounts you might have.

network-access.png

hosts-filter.png

file access.png

@Cazzbags wrote:

The password is showing too many **** for the number of characters (not sure if that is an issue).

That's not an issue, it's a security feature.  If you show the exact number of characters, then that gives a hint to someone trying to guess the password.

@Cazzbags wrote:

(not sure if that is an issue). Either way, I'm still not able to get in. I click on the mapped drive in windows explorer and it comes up with a password pop-up and won't accept my password.

How did you map the drive in windows explorer?

Did you try 

1. editing the credentials
  2. rebooting the PC
  3. entering \\nas-ip-address in the file explorer address bar?

On step three, be careful to use the correct NAS ip address, and also be careful to use the right slash direction.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 6

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@Cazzbags wrote:

Personally I recommend NOT using IP addresses as hosts at all.

One thing you can do in the router is to reserve an IP address for the NAS.  That would ensure that the IP address doesn't change.  If you give us the manufacturer/model for your router (or better still a link to the user manual) we can help you figure out if your router has that feature.

To the main issue though

• Do you have one or more user account set up in the NAS?
  • Do you have file permissions for each share set up for everyone access?
  • Do you have network access set up for everyone access (though you can disable anonymous access)

You can post screen shots here (or send a private message to me that has them if you don't want to post them publicly).  You send a private message via the envelope icon on the upper right of the forum page.

My own network access and file permissions are shown below.  You can start with these, and potentially tighten up access after you get it working. Ignore the "testgroup" bit, and enable read/write access for any user accounts you might have.

network-access.png

hosts-filter.png

file access.png

@Cazzbags wrote:

The password is showing too many **** for the number of characters (not sure if that is an issue).

That's not an issue, it's a security feature.  If you show the exact number of characters, then that gives a hint to someone trying to guess the password.

@Cazzbags wrote:

(not sure if that is an issue). Either way, I'm still not able to get in. I click on the mapped drive in windows explorer and it comes up with a password pop-up and won't accept my password.

How did you map the drive in windows explorer?

Did you try 

1. editing the credentials
  2. rebooting the PC
  3. entering \\nas-ip-address in the file explorer address bar?

On step three, be careful to use the correct NAS ip address, and also be careful to use the right slash direction.

Message 2 of 6
Cazzbags
Aspirant

Thanks so much for taking the time to respond.

• "Do you have one or more user account set up in the NAS?" -- Yes. I had set up admin, my name and my partner's name, then made a household one, and then because it's linked to ReadyCloud, they both show up as users.
  • "Do you have file permissions for each share set up for everyone access?" -- Yes, I had these all ticked and was mostly ok, but what I realised was that the file access folder owner and folder group was set to admin. I've changed it to guest.
  • "Do you have network access set up for everyone access (though you can disable anonymous access)" -- Yes, this section was fine and comparable to yours.

Not sure if the file access folder and group was the issue but changing that, along with removing all IPs seems to have resolved the problem. I have remapped the drives and now am having no trouble getting in.

"How did you map the drive in windows explorer?"  -- I normally go through the Map Network Drive feature and type the NAS name in, not the IP, and then backwards slash for the share name. Enter the password and it's good to go.

Now that I've removed the IP addresses and set to guest, does that open it up for others to easily access it? Or not really as they would still need the password to get in? Sorry if it's a dumb question.

Also, I noticed that in the Network access area you had a lot of tabs active (green light), I only seem to be using SMB and DLNA. I have never understood what the others are. I assume I don't need to worry about that...?

Cheers

Message 3 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@Cazzbags wrote:
  •  
  • "Do you have file permissions for each share set up for everyone access?" -- Yes, I had these all ticked and was mostly ok, but what I realised was that the file access folder owner and folder group was set to admin. I've changed it to guest.

Admin also works fine for the owner and group.  

@Cazzbags wrote:

"How did you map the drive in windows explorer?"  -- I normally go through the Map Network Drive feature and type the NAS name in, not the IP, and then backwards slash for the share name. Enter the password and it's good to go.

Some folks do find that they need to use the IP address instead of the hostname on some of their PCs.

@Cazzbags wrote:

Now that I've removed the IP addresses and set to guest, does that open it up for others to easily access it? 

No it doesn't.  If you've disabled anonymous access in the network settings, then everyone accessing the NAS needs to use a valid username/password to access the files.

@Cazzbags wrote:

Also, I noticed that in the Network access area you had a lot of tabs active (green light), I only seem to be using SMB and DLNA. I have never understood what the others are. I assume I don't need to worry about that...?

Correct, you don't need to worry about them.  Generally you should only enable the services you are using. One reason is that enabling things you don't use can load down the NAS (they need memory even if you aren't using them).  Another aspect is security.  Enabling services you don't use just adds a potential vulnerability.   

SMB is the main file access service for Windows (and Macs).

DLNA is for media streaming (for instance to a smart TV) - and normally should only be on in shares that have media in them that you want to stream (photos, music, and videos). 

HTTP/HTTPS allows you to access files in your web browser. ( https://nasname/sharename ).  Not as convenient as File Explorer, but we have a couple of old iPads still in use - which don't support SMB. 

FTP is a very old file transfer application (it goes back to the 1980s).  Many devices that don't support SMB can use it - including those older tablets we still use. 

AFP and NFS are similar to SMB - used to host network shares.  AFP was developed by Apple (though they have switched to SMB now); NFS is part of Unix/Linux.  Most people should keep them both turned off.  My work laptop won't let me use SMB unless I'm connected to the office VPN (company security policy).  But they will allow NFS, so I keep it enabled on both the NAS  and that laptop.

RSYNC is a backup protocol - which I use to back up my ReadyNAS to other ReadyNAS. It's built into Linux/Unix, but not Windows.  BTW, if you don't have a backup plan in place, you should address that.  RAID isn't enough to keep your data safe.

Message 4 of 6
Cazzbags
Aspirant

Thanks for the explanations. Yep, I have the DLNA for sharing to the smart TV and all others switched off.

And you're right, my backup plan probably isn't the best. But I do have the most important files backed up elsewhere, they just don't get backed up as often with edits. I have got the backup in the NAS system set up as well. Bar getting another device I think it's all I can do. I don't use snapshots, though I've seen that as an option. Is is worthwhile? (Sorry digressing from the original post).

Cheers.

Message 5 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@Cazzbags wrote:

I don't use snapshots, though I've seen that as an option. Is is worthwhile?

Snapshots have their place, but they really aren't a backup.  Snapshots give you some protection against user error (in particular, accidental file deletion). If you have a lot of free space (over 60%) you'd also gain some protection from ransomware.

If you turn them on, then I suggest avoiding the default "smart" snapshots.  With "smart" snapshots, the monthly ones are retained forever, requiring you to manually delete them (to avoid running out of space).  It's better to use "custom" snapshots and explicitly set retention.  Then track the disk usage for a while, and adjust the retention to keep the disk usage under control.  Personally I use 3 months retention on most shares, which keeps the total snapshot usage below 5%.

@Cazzbags wrote:

I have got the backup in the NAS system set up as well. Bar getting another device I think it's all I can do.

Backing up to USB drives is a reasonable (and pretty inexpensive) approach.  It is important to make sure you can read the backups from another device though.  In your case, NTFS-formatted USB drives are probably the best option.

Backing up critical (irreplacable) content is viable, though personally I find it easier just to back up the entire NAS.  Then we don't need segregate critical files from the rest.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements