× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Can't access shares

ImPatman
Aspirant

Can't access shares

Hi All,

I've had a reasonably lengthy search over the internet and couldn't solve my issue. I have had this readyNas NV+ V2 for several years now. The only problems I've had prior to this was that it would stall transferring large volume photos to it and needed a reboot but I lived with it. Initially it had 2x 2TB drives in it and I added another when they grew to capacity. It worked fine for some time but now I can't seem to access my shared drives. Admittedly I'm a low level home user, not in IT but I am capable of following technical instructions.

From Raidar I click "Browse" which shows me my shared folders via Win explorer. When I try to access a shared folder it asks for credentials but gives me an error Windows cannot access \\192.168.1.xxx\[sharedFolder]. Picture attached. I can log into the home page with admin credentials and thats what I used to do to access my shares.

- I tried an OS reinstall as suggested in another thread that seemed to have similar issue to mine, but no improvement afterwards.
- Raidar says firmware is 5.3.13 and Status: Healthy
- I can access the dashboard which gives my the temp and fan speed as well as the bays which are loaded but the Configure > Overview > Hardware section doesn't load Model, Serial, Firmware info;
- I don't know what firmware I'm running as per above. If necessary, any other way to find out?
- Network DNS setting is DNS1: 192.168.0.xxx but the IP address is 192.168.1.xxx. Not sure if relevant but I couldn't figure out how to change it.
- From the webpage I navigate to Shares > Create a New Share > call it "test" but it fails giving me a "The share name you entered contains invalid characters". I don't understand this as it's all alpha-numeric name. Can't seem to get past this.
- Using Windows 10 pro, workgroup name is identical.
- The systems log shows some errors and I've downloaded the logs but there's probably too many files to attach here but if they're useful I'll host them somewhere:
-- Red dot: "Unable to access source path /[shareName]. [Job xxxxxNAS Backup 20160126]. I guess its a failure to backup one of my shares probably because it's not accessible?
-- Green dot: "The paths for the shares listed below could not be found. Typically, this occurs when the ReadyNAS is unable to access the data volume" > then lists all my shares
- There are no add-ons.

Hope this is in the right section. I'm happy to work through any other suggestions available to retrieve my data.

Regards,
Patrick.

Model: RND4000v2|ReadyNAS NV+ v2 Chassis only
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Since you only want to offload data, you might consider enabling another file protocol.

For instance, enable FTP and then use FileZilla on the PC to access the files you want.

Then circle back to getting SMB to work if it is still of interest.

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 9

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@ImPatman wrote:

- Raidar says firmware is 5.3.13 and Status: Healthy

- I don't know what firmware I'm running as per above. If necessary, any other way to find out?

You do know the firmware, as RAIDar told you that you are running 5.3.13.  That is the most recent (and final) firmware version for your NAS.

@ImPatman wrote:

- Network DNS setting is DNS1: 192.168.0.xxx but the IP address is 192.168.1.xxx. Not sure if relevant but I couldn't figure out how to change it.

Click on the icon immediately to the right of the DNS settings label.  See page 68 in the software manual here: http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/READYNAS%20ARM-PLATFORM%20(DUO%20V2,%20NV+%20V2)/RAIDiato...

@ImPatman wrote:

- Using Windows 10 pro, workgroup name is identical.

Your old NAS only supports SMB 1.  Microsoft is deprecating SMB 1 (using SMB 3 instead).  So go into "turn windows features on and off" in the PC, and see if the SMB 1 client is enabled.  If it isn't, then enable it by checking the checkbox, and then reboot the PC.

I can't tell from your post if you are trying to back up the PC in the backup job or not.  But if you are, you will either need to also enable the SMB 1 server on the PC, or you will need to switch to a PC-based backup tool  - such are Acronis TrueImage (not free) or FreeFileSync (which is free).  I suggest switching to a PC backup tool.

Message 2 of 9
ImPatman
Aspirant

Hi @StephenB ,

Thanks for your informative reply. SMB1 was already enabled unfortunately, darn.

I'm just trying to recover the contents in the NAS to save me some inconvenience. I will investigate the backup options you suggested as I am keen on finding better ways to store my digital media moving forward.

If there's any other course you can suggest to troubleshoot my issues I'd appreciate it, otherwise I guess I'll start preparing myself to reformat the HDD's later.

Message 3 of 9
StephenB
Guru

Maybe try running CMD on a windows PC and enter

net use * /delete /y

net use t: \\192.168.1.115\C /user:admin nas-admin-password

using the real NAS admin password of course.

The first command terminates any open SMB sessions in the PC.

The second attempts to map the NAS data volume to drive letter T in the PC.

Message 4 of 9
ImPatman
Aspirant

Hi @StephenB ,

Thanks once again. I tried the net use * /delete /y command and it returned "There are no entries in the list."

Followed up with net use t: \\192.168.1.1xx\C /user:admin nas-admin-password  returned:

"System error 53 has occurred.

The network path was not found."

I replaced \C with a few of my shared folder names and only 1 returned a different error:

"System error 5 has occurred.

Access is denied."

This was with a brand new user and new password I created just a few minutes earlier too so I'm certain the credentials are good.

I went ahead and deleted all my user accounts to hopefully bypass the password entry screen but it still asks me for the user/password. All permissions are set to Everyone:read/write. I noticed too that the dashboard would allow me to delete shares but I can't add new ones. Is there any way to relax the security further?

Message 5 of 9
StephenB
Guru

@ImPatman wrote:

I tried the net use * /delete /y command and it returned "There are no entries in the list."

That is a normal status - it's just telling you that there are no sessions to close.

@ImPatman wrote:

Followed up with net use t: \\192.168.1.1xx\C /user:admin nas-admin-password  returned:

"System error 53 has occurred.

The network path was not found."

I replaced \C with a few of my shared folder names and only 1 returned a different error:

"System error 5 has occurred.

Access is denied."

This was with a brand new user and new password I created just a few minutes earlier too so I'm certain the credentials are good.

The command for C will only work if the user name is admin.  It also will fail if you are using the default NAS admin password.

Is there any internet security software running on the PC?

It might be worth rebooting the PC if you haven't done that already.

Message 6 of 9
ImPatman
Aspirant

Hi @StephenB ,

Yep tried that with the \C drive and admin credentials first time around and returned the System error 53. There's no AV and firewalls have all been temporarily disabled. I tried to break it down a little and just tried the "net use t: \\192.168.1.xxx\[share]" command without the /user password option but only 1 of my shares (including the C drive) responded with a prompt to enter the user name and when admin credentials were entered it also returned System error 53.

Message 7 of 9
StephenB
Guru

Since you only want to offload data, you might consider enabling another file protocol.

For instance, enable FTP and then use FileZilla on the PC to access the files you want.

Then circle back to getting SMB to work if it is still of interest.

Message 8 of 9
ImPatman
Aspirant

Thanks @StephenB ,
Downloaded FileZilla and was able to FTP into the NAS under admin account. I can see the share folders but there's nothing under them. They're all empty. Sigh. Thanks for your help in all this I think enough time has been spent poking at it. There's nothing that I can't afford to lose on them or haven't already backed up elsewhere so I'll go ahead and repurpose the drives.

Have a great new year and appreciate all the advice!

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements