× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Can't connect to ReadyNAS folders after Windows update

Ctaylor518
Aspirant

Can't connect to ReadyNAS folders after Windows update

After 2020-01 Windows 10 update, ReadyNAS is not accepting folder level credentials for any of the Shares.  This device is used for office-wide backup, and was working well in mid-December.  I can see the device, and all the Shares, in Windows Explorer, but I am unable to open any folders ubder any credentials. Any suggestions?

Model: RN626X|ReadyNAS 626X – 6 Bays with Intel® Xeon® Quad-Core Server Processor
Message 1 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@Ctaylor518 wrote:

I can see the device, and all the Shares, in Windows Explorer, but I am unable to open any folders ubder any credentials. 

Have you tried the NAS admin credentials?

Also, have you tried using both the IP address and the hostname in the explorer address bar (\\hostname or \\ipaddress).

Message 2 of 7
Ctaylor518
Aspirant

Tried both of those. Also deleted and recreated accounts, tried other account credentials for other shares (each share is for a different user), made sure SMB-1 is turned on in Windows, rebooted both HAS and computer multiple times.  Plus, accounts that worked previously are no longer working since 2020-01 Windows update.  They worked in mid December.

Message 3 of 7
Ctaylor518
Aspirant

Yes.  And I can see the device and all the shares in Windows Explorer, but I can't open any of the folders.  So I'm thinking that the credentials are working at the network level,  but not the folder level. 

Message 4 of 7
Sandshark
Sensei

It may be unrelated to the Windows update and the folder permissions just need to be reset.

Message 5 of 7
Ctaylor518
Aspirant

I tried that,  too.  If it's  not related to the update,  why would the existing connections have stopped working?   I am however,  open to any suggestions as to something else that I could do to try to fix the problem. 

Message 6 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@Ctaylor518 wrote:

I am however,  open to any suggestions as to something else that I could do to try to fix the problem. 

What firmware are you running on the NAS? 

BTW, OS-6 NAS support SMB 3, so you don't need to enable the SMB 1 client on the PC.  That's only needed for legacy ReadyNAS (running 4.x or 5.x firmware).

Can you try running this from CMD?

net use * /delete /y
net use t: \\nas-ip-address\data /user:admin nas-admin-password

using the real IP address and admin password of course.  If your volume isn't named data, then substitute your actual volume name.  Be careful on the typing - particularly spaces and the slash directions.

The first command terminates any open SMB sessions, the second attempts to map the NAS data volume to drive letter T.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements