× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Can't connect to ReadyNas from MacBook

johaNAS
Aspirant

Can't connect to ReadyNas from MacBook

Hi,

I have a ReadyNAS NV+ with FW version 4.1.7 that I have been working with from a bunch of windows machines in the past. There has been some trouble connecting to the nas from time to time but overall it has worked well.

Now I have moved and I have changed the router. I just connected the NAS to the router (ethernet cable) that my macbook is conencted to (via wifi).

I see the nas mentioned in Finder under Shared (nas-13-... (CIFS)) and I downloaded RAIDar which (most of the times...) also finds the NAS but as I click Admin Page I get a message saying "Your NETGEAR storage is not accessible from this computer. Check your network settings".

I googled it but can't really find what to do. Any help would be most appreciated!

Also, on a slight side note, I think I may have lost my admin password. Is there a way of resetting that without wiping the drives..?

Message 1 of 11
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi johaNAS,

It appears that your ReadyNAS and your computer are on different IP range. Either you change the IP subnet of your router that matches the current IP of the ReadyNAS or perform an OS Reinstall so the IP settings and admin password will be set to default.

Hope this helps!

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 11
StephenB
Guru

@BrianL2 wrote:

It appears that your ReadyNAS and your computer are on different IP range. Either you change the IP subnet of your router that matches the current IP of the ReadyNAS or perform an OS Reinstall so the IP settings and admin password will be set to default.

The default admin password for your NAS is netgear1

Since you need to do the OS reinstall to resolve the password problem anyway, you should probably take that path.

There are instructions in kb articles, but I think the best writeup is in the hardware manual.  The NV+/Duo manual link is here: http://www.readynas.com/download/documentation/HM/Duov1_NV%2Bv1_HW_en_06Dec11.pdf

Message 3 of 11
johaNAS
Aspirant

Thank you so much for your replies. Really appreciate it.

It's funny though, I'm pretty sure I have never actievly changed the IP adress of the nas, but it is on 85.229.something.something while all other devices are on 192.something. Should the NAS too start with 192? And will after I reinstall the OS?

Pretty sure I have changed the admin password though and I might be able to figure out what is is.

But so then it looks like OS reinstall would be the way forward. Before doing so I would just like to confirm that:

* There is no risk of losing anything on the disks? The folders and files will all be there after the reinstall, right?

* I will be able to log in to it with admin/readynas1 username/password.

* It should get the correct IP assigned to it so I can reach it from any computer or device on the same router?

Would much appreciate feedback or confirmation on this.

Message 4 of 11
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello johaNAS,

Welcome to the community!

OS reinstall - Reinstalls the firmware from the system’s internal flash to its disks. Use the OS reinstall boot mode when the system crashes and corrupts some configuration files. OS reinstall boot mode also resets some settings on your system, such as Internet protocol settings and the administrator password, to defaults. 

It does not delete data stored to the disks. Password will be back to its default which is netgear1 and it sets the NAS to DHCP which means if the NAS is using a static IP address, after OS reinstall, NAS will get an IP address from the router automatically.

Regards,

Message 5 of 11
johaNAS
Aspirant

Thank you. Will try this now.

Message 6 of 11
johaNAS
Aspirant

Thank you! This solved those two problems for me!

What i find strange and worrying is that I find all access to the nas crazy slow. When I drill down my photo folders in Finder some of the folders are never populated with files (guess it times out, but there's no feedback) and when I copy stuff back to my computer I get transfer speed less than a megabyte per second. Trying to upload a bunch of files now but it is taking forever.

Is there a setting I should fiddle with?

Message 7 of 11
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello johaNAS,

Do you have any backup job running on the NAS at the same time when copying?

You might also want to consider updating the firmware you have, that is pretty outdated. The latest is already 4.1.14.

It is best if you back up all the data first before updating (just in case since that is using a very old FW), I suggest using a USB disk plugged in straight to the NAS so it won't need to go through the network anymore.

Regards,

Message 8 of 11
johaNAS
Aspirant

Hi,

I upated to .14 and I don't have any scheduled backup jobs at all.

Are there any settings I could tweak or something?

Message 9 of 11
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi johaNAS,

Ensure the following are ticked then reboot the NAS.

1. Jumbo Frames (Network > Interfaces)

2. Optimize for OS X (System > Performance)

3. Disabled journaling / Disable full data journaling (System > Performance)

Hope this helps!

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 10 of 11
johaNAS
Aspirant

Thanks a lot, Brian.

I will try this.

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors