× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Can't delete folder on RN314

jguerdat
Guru

Can't delete folder on RN314

I have a folder that can't be deleted. I've tried mobile apps as well as the computer. On some devices it shows permission denied while others (computer on W10) seem to complete the operation without complaint but it's still there. Trying to use the browse feature in the web interface doesn't show the root folder since it starts with a "." (it's ".Nexus 6") so I can't do anything from there. Is there a way to telnet in so I can use the commandline?

Message 1 of 5
StephenB
Guru

Is this a share or a folder?

Is this something you created?  If not, what is the name of the hidden folder?

Message 2 of 5
jguerdat
Guru

It's a folder. However, the need is gone for the moment. I'm guessing a failed copy process was holding the folder open so couldn't be deleted. Just tried again and it's gone.

Any reason hidden files/folders wouldn't be seen in the web interface? ALso, is there a way to telnet/ssh in?

Message 3 of 5
StephenB
Guru

@jguerdat wrote:

Any reason hidden files/folders wouldn't be seen in the web interface?

Netgear does have some folders hidden in the root (.apps is one, as is a folder for time machine backups).  Likely they don't want those to be routinely navigated into (or modified).

@jguerdat wrote:

Any reason hidden files/folders wouldn't be seen in the web interface? ALso, is there a way to telnet/ssh in?

Yes.  You can enable ssh from the settings->services in the main ui.  Then use something like putty on a Windows PC (using root as the username, and the NAS admin password).  WinSCP can also be used to connect (either to the shell, or to access normally unavailable files/folders with SFTP).

https://kb.netgear.com/30068/ReadyNAS-OS-6-SSH-access-support-and-configuration-guides

Message 4 of 5
jguerdat
Guru

Thanks for that. I had tried a couple of apps on the NAS and it kept bombing out on logging in, apparently because I was using "admin" as the user. It's all working now although now I don't need it.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements