× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Can't find Time Machine backups when I browse my ReadyNAS

Cordura
Aspirant

Can't find Time Machine backups when I browse my ReadyNAS

I've just started running Time Machine backups to my ReadyNAS from two different Macs on my network. So far, everything is working fine - the backups will take a few hours to complete so I'll let them run overnight. (I've got a 314 running 6.9.3 software with four 4TB drives.)

However, I want to be able to backup those backups using a Cloud service. When I browse my Shares in the Admin interface, or when I browse them as directories using Finder on my Mac, I don't see any Time Machine backups. I only see the folders I've created for the files I'm storing in the NAS. Where are the TM backups going and how do I get to them to back them up?

Model: RN31400|ReadyNAS 300 Series 4-Bay
Message 1 of 15
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Cordura

This article might help on locating your sparse bundle.

Hope this helps!

Regards

Message 2 of 15
Cordura
Aspirant

Thank you, but I tried that. Note that I'm using SMB, because AFP is deprecated now.

When I try to connect that way, I get the message "There was a problem connecting to the server "[ip address]". I used the same user id ("ReadyNAS") and password that I use in TimeMachine to connect, so that's not the problem.

When I try method #2 (with https://[ip addr]/admin/browse.html#path=%FReadyNAS%2F.timemachine), I get an essentially blank page: the navigation is there but there's no content.

When I log in over SSH to the "ReadyNAS" account, with that same password, I get the message "

Creating directory '/var/lib/timemachine'.

Unable to create and initialize directory '/var/lib/timemachine'." and then "

Could not chdir to home directory /var/lib/timemachine: No such file or directory"

So, no luck with those techniques.

Message 3 of 15
StephenB
Guru

@Cordura wrote:

When I try to connect that way, I get the message "There was a problem connecting to the server "[ip address]". I used the same user id ("ReadyNAS") and password that I use in TimeMachine to connect, so that's not the problem.

Use "admin" for the username, and the NAS admin password.

@Cordura wrote:

When I try method #2 (with https://[ip addr]/admin/browse.html#path=%FReadyNAS%2F.timemachine), I get an essentially blank page: the navigation is there but there's no content.

Method 2 fails with 6.9.3 firmware.  Hopefully Netgear will fix that in 6.9.4.

@Cordura wrote:

When I log in over SSH to the "ReadyNAS" account, with that same password,

Don't do that.  If you log in with SSH, the username should be root, and you use the NAS admin password.

Message 4 of 15
Cordura
Aspirant

Thank you.

I can attach to the drive using Finder and the "admin" account. When I do, I get a list of volumes that include the shares that I have created (no time machine backups in there) plus "home", "admin", and "data". "data" contains those shares I created; "admin" seems to be the "admin" user's home directory and it is empty, and "home" contains the users I set up (no time machine backups in there either).

So where should the time machine backups be stored? How do I find them?

Message 5 of 15
bedlam1
Prodigy

Have you looked in /data/.timemachine ?

important to enter the full stop (point) before timemachine 

Message 6 of 15
StephenB
Guru

@bedlam1 wrote:

Have you looked in /data/.timemachine ?

important to enter the full stop (point) before timemachine 

Also, it is a hidden folder, so you might not see it when you browse /data.  But you should still be able to access it.

Message 7 of 15
Ceyropaiax
Guide

I'm also having this exact problem. I can't find this "data" folder whatsoever. I am using the latest firmware with my 526X.

Message 8 of 15
Ceyropaiax
Guide

1. I received an error message and I had to rebooted my 526X. After reboot it started to resync. Now resync is done and the NAS seems to function properly without a hitch.

2. Under the Backup tab, I found out the time machine setting is now turned off. I have a "shared time machine" for almost a year now but I only backup my MacBook Pro to it.

3. I don't want to simply turn the shared time machine back on because the UI asks me to specify a quota for it and I'm afraid that doing so will wipe out my existing time machine backup.

4. Even with the shared time machine turned off on my NAS, my MBP can still see the backup disk and actually initiate a backup, as bizzare as it sounds.

5. But when I actually use the Time Machine on my MacBook Pro I don't see any previous backups, it's as if I don't have any backups at all.

I want to fully restore time machine functionality. Please advise.

Message 9 of 15
StephenB
Guru

@Ceyropaiax wrote:

I'm also having this exact problem. I can't find this "data" folder whatsoever. I am using the latest firmware with my 526X.

"data" is the default name of the NAS volume.  If you are using flexraid, you might have named it something else.

To access it over SMB, you need to use the NAS admin credentials in finder.  Otherwise you won't see it.

Message 10 of 15
Ceyropaiax
Guide

I just can't find the .timemachine folder whatsoever. I have "Home Folders" and the shares I created. And under "Home Folders" I have "home" and "admin" folders.

I also tried to reset the whole timemachine backup by starting over. But on my MacBook Pro I get the error message that the old backup can't be deleted.

Message 11 of 15
Ceyropaiax
Guide

All of this confusion is compounded by what little documentation there is.

Message 12 of 15
Ceyropaiax
Guide

I tried

smb://(IP address of my NAS)/.timemachine

smb://(IP address of my NAS)/Home Folders/.timemachine

smb://(IP address of my NAS)/Home Folders/admin/.timemachine

And a bunch more. No luck.

Message 13 of 15
StephenB
Guru

Try again using the NAS admin credentials with SMB.  Access smb://(IP address of my NAS)/(data volume name)  

That will give you full access to the data volume, including everything in home.  Note that .timemachine is a hidden folder, so you might not see it.  I'm not a Mac owner, so I don't know how to set up finder to see hidden folders (and I've never used timemachine).

Message 14 of 15
Ceyropaiax
Guide

Thanks. I finally braved into SSH and solved it.

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements