× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Can't get itunes to work on 6.2.2

dsm1212
Apprentice

Can't get itunes to work on 6.2.2

I've enabled itunes as a service. Then gone into a share under network settings enabled itunes. I see the conf file looks correct (/data/Music is listed). The forked-daapd.log showed a bunch of lines about scanning thousands of files. But in itunes on my mac when I select the nas it prompts me for the password then shows no files at all. I saw a message that one bad file can mess it up so I stopped the service, created a new share, put a few mp3's in it, deleted /apps/./forked-daapd/songs3.db, applied wide open permissions the files, and restarted itunes. I see it create the new database and appears to be ok but still nothing in itunes. After stopping and starting the service I managed to see an album folder once in itunes for the files, but the songs would not play and then after reconnecting from itunes it didn't show them again. Feels to me like itunes support is broken, but any suggestions?

OSX was just updated a few days ago so this may have just broken, but it's the first time I tried it on os6.

steve
Message 1 of 18
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

If you download the logs do you see any clues in systemd-journal.log?
Message 2 of 18
dsm1212
Apprentice

On the full scan I see some errors about bad playlists, but when I cut back to the share with a couple of files I see nothing obvious. There are these two errors that I think probably happened the one time I got an album to display, but I'm not sure:

Feb 01 00:48:49 warehouse6 forked-daapd[2907]: scan: Bulk library scan completed in 1 sec
Feb 01 00:49:49 warehouse6 forked-daapd[2907]: daap: Could not start query
Feb 01 00:49:49 warehouse6 forked-daapd[2907]: cache: Error building DAAP reply for query: /databases/1/containers/8/items?delta=0&meta=dmap.itemid,dmap.containeritemid
Feb 01 00:49:49 warehouse6 forked-daapd[2907]: daap: Could not start query
Feb 01 00:49:49 warehouse6 forked-daapd[2907]: cache: Error building DAAP reply for query: /databases/1/containers/10/items?delta=0&meta=dmap.itemid,dmap.containeritemid

steve
Message 3 of 18
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Can you send me your logs (see the link in my sig)?
Message 4 of 18
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I guess those log entries must have been pruned from the logs that you sent. If you are willing to try 6.2.3 beta, do a fresh full scan and then send in a fresh set of logs that would be great.
Message 5 of 18
dsm1212
Apprentice

Another data point: I had a windows box running an old version of itunes. The small share I had worked! itunes prompted me to upgrade to itunes 12.1 so I did it and it stopped working. So I think the issue is in fact that something has recently changed in itunes. Can you turn this into a bug submission? It's easy to repro. Install 12.1 itunes and it stops working.

Seems like a known issue with forked-daapd:

https://github.com/ejurgensen/forked-daapd/issues/100
Message 6 of 18
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I have notified product engineering about this issue. There is likely not anything we can do until/unless the developers of forked-daapd come up with a solution.

Considering Firefly on legacy ReadyNAS still works I would think a fix should be possible.
Message 7 of 18
Marcello29
Aspirant

Same problem for me since upgrade itunes 12.1 on OSX Yosemite. I have contact Apple to tell them about this problem. Now waiting for itunes upgrade.
Message 8 of 18
dsm1212
Apprentice

A guy maintaining a fork of forked-daapd at the link I posted above is hot on the trail. He posted a work-around code change already. It appears forked-daapd may not be handling group based requests correctly.

steve
Message 9 of 18
Marcello29
Aspirant

So if i understand i must wait readynas upgrade of Forked-DAAPD.
Message 10 of 18
StephenB
Guru

Marcello29 wrote:
So if i understand i must wait readynas upgrade of Forked-DAAPD.
I'd be very surprised if Apple changes iTunes to resolve a forked-daapd issue. From their point of view, iTunes is their's and they'd just as soon reverse-engineered linux iTunes servers didn't exist.

So I think you will need to wait for a forked-daapd fix.
Message 11 of 18
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Looking at that thread on forked-daapd there's already a second patch. The first one didn't do enough.
Message 12 of 18
dsm1212
Apprentice

Looks like a fix has been posted to the master branch. I don't know if that guy has the fork netgear is using, but please have someone take a look.
Message 13 of 18
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I have asked our product engineering team for an update on this.
Message 14 of 18
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Message 15 of 18
ScottChapman
Apprentice

What's the path to the log file? I've been looking for it and couldn't find it in the obvious (to me anyway) places. Thanks!
Message 16 of 18
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

When you download the logs you can filter systemd-journal.log for forked-daapd. Is that what you mean?

Or do you mean via SSH?:

# journalctl -a | grep forked-daapd
Message 17 of 18
ScottChapman
Apprentice

Actually either (prefer SSH though). I was looking around for a forked-daap.log file anywhere...

Thanks!
Message 18 of 18
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 17 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements