× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Can't get remote Wake On Lan working on ReadyNAS Ultra2Plus with OS6

uffgnu14
Luminary

Can't get remote Wake On Lan working on ReadyNAS Ultra2Plus with OS6

Hi,

I have problem with setting up remote WOL to my RN Ultra2Plus running OS 6.7.4 connected to a Netgear R6400 router.
It's the first time I'm trying WOL with my RN and so did not tried with the original OS 4.

I have tested with both PC(Windows) and Mobile phone(Android) WOL clients, various settings in router and clients,
rebooting, different networks, all ending in failing or bad reliability.

The closest to get it working is with these settings:

Router settings:
  Enabled dynamic DNS in router.
  Port forwarding port 9 (external=internal), TCP/UDP, fixed RN-IP.
  UPNP disabled

WOL client settings:
  Port 9, RN MAC-address, DDNS

Tested over network:
 1. direct phone LTE(4G)
 2. mobile broadband WiFi/LTE(4G) hotspot with PC and phone.

RN-settings:
 Fixed IP
 WOL enabled
 Power schedule disabled

This setup is working at first (evening) but not the next day (morning time).
In both these cases there is a entry in router log saying
"[LAN access from remote] from xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx to 192.168.1.5:9 date and time".

I have also tested the same setup with a PC instead of the RN and that is working all the time.
Pure WOL with local network also works fine, even in the case of the "morning time" failure.

Something wrong with Ultra2 and/or OS 6 ?

Someone have a solution to this?

Best regards,
Ulf

Model: ReadyNAS RNDP200U|ReadyNAS Ultra 2 Plus Chassis only
Message 1 of 13
StephenB
Guru

I don't see how this can be the NAS, since it has no idea if the WoL packet is coming from the internet or coming from the local LAN.

But it's also clear that the packet is arriving at the router.  It's possible that the router has lost track of which ethernet port the NAS is connected to, so it doesn't know how to deliver the packet.  Is the router on a power schedule?

You could try reserving the IP address in the router, instead of configuring a static address in the NAS.  Not sure if that will help or not, but it does no harm (and in my opinion address reservation is a better way to manage IP addresses).

But you might need to go with a power schedule on the NAS (either instead of or in addition to the WoL).  If the router turns on for an hour perhaps 2x a day, then the router might not lose track of it.

Message 2 of 13
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Are you able to send me your logs (see the Sending Logs link in my sig)?

Message 3 of 13
uffgnu14
Luminary

Hi StephenB,

Thank's for your suggestions.
I changed to RN-DHCP and executed a WOL after about 6 hours RN downtime. Not working.

Best regards,
Ulf

Message 4 of 13
uffgnu14
Luminary

Hi mdgm,

Logs sent.

Best regards,

Ulf

Message 5 of 13
sotrack
Luminary

1. Try to get local Wake On Lan first inside local net. If your local WOL doesn't work then remote WOL will not work also.

2. Turned off NAS haven't got local IP address even if NAS IP is fixed in your router. And forwarding port 9 to fixed RN-IP does not make a sense. You need forward port 9 to specific broadband address 192.168.1.255 or 192.168.1.254 or 192.168.1.* This mean WOL package will be sent to all devices in local net including devices without IP.  This address is dependent of router. My router Mikrotik use 192.168.1.254, for example. A lot of routers doesn't allow use broadband address and can not be used for remote WOL.

3.Port 9 forwarding use UDP protocol. TCP is not required.

4 For remote WOL you need use router external IP address not local RN IP

Message 6 of 13
StephenB
Guru

@sotrack wrote:

And forwarding port 9 to fixed RN-IP does not make a sense. You need forward port 9 to specific broadband address 192.168.1.255...

I think that depends.  If the packet reaches the NAS in the first place, the NAS should wake up no matter what IP address in the the IP destination field of the packet.

The problem is whether the router can figure out how to deliver the packet in the first place.  The fact that it sometimes works suggests that the router will deliver the packet in at least some situations.  The NAS can't respond to ARP when it is powered off, but if the IP address / mac address association is in the ARP cache the router should still be able to deliver the packet to the correct ethernet port.

That said, I've never gotten this to work with my ISP and routers.  There's a handy add-on for OS 4.2 NAS that will send WoL packets when you give it an HTTP request that includes the mac address.  My pro-6 is on 24-7, and I have used it to wake up other devices on my network when I'm away.  Unfortunately there is no OS 6 equivalent.

Message 7 of 13
Sandshark
Sensei

When it won't wake up, are the switch and NAS network LED's showing a connection?  It'll be a 10M one, but they should show something.  If they are not, you are probably experiencing a problem caused by a "green" switch turning down the power too much.  A better cable might fix it, but probably not.

Message 8 of 13
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The logs show that WOL is enabled.

Message 9 of 13
StephenB
Guru

@Sandshark wrote:

you are probably experiencing a problem caused by a "green" switch turning down the power too much.

The OP's first post says that WoL is working reliably on the local LAN.   His problem is getting it to work remotely (over the internet).

Message 10 of 13
uffgnu14
Luminary

Hi,

Short summary.

LAN WOL:
  Working fine for RN and PC.

Remote WOL (Port forwarding port 9):
  Working fine for PC.
  Working for RN for a while but NOT after a RN downtime (time not tested, for now 6 hours noticed).
  Also strange that despite events in the router log RN is not responding.

Best regards,
Ulf

Message 11 of 13
sotrack
Luminary

StephenB wrote:

I think that depends.  If the packet reaches the NAS in the first place, the NAS should wake up no matter what IP address in the the IP destination field of the packet.

The IP address in the the IP destination field of the WOL packet is not used. You are correct here. But IP address from port forwarding table is independent of IP inside WOL packet. If NAS IP address is not registered by DHCP server or doesn't exist in temporary ARP table then port 9 will not be forwarded by router to NAS and WOL packet doesn't reach NAS. This is why broadband request should be used in port forwarding for WOL packet.

LAN WOL use broadband request and it is working.

Message 12 of 13
StephenB
Guru

@sotrack wrote:

...or doesn't exist in temporary ARP table then port 9 will not be forwarded by router to NAS and WOL packet doesn't reach NAS.

We completely agree, and that's what I tried to say in my earlier post.  It can work if the binding is in the ARP cache, otherwise it won't.

Last time I checked, Netgear routers didn't allow forwarding a packet to a broadcast IP address.

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements