× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Can't see shares on frontview but can on windows

Jp1001
Aspirant

Can't see shares on frontview but can on windows

Hello - I've been working through the common issue of windows not wanting to connect to a single server using two different names. I have two users on my laptop, and during the process I set up a number of shares to test various access parameters, some of which I then deleted. I'm now getting the hang of the user permissions. However, on windows now under "network" in windows explorer, I can see and use shares that do NOT appear in the share list on frontview - probably ones i thought i had deleted. And my users can each see different shares in windows. Please can someone explain what's happening?
Thanks a lot
Message 1 of 5
ewok
NETGEAR Expert

Re: Can't see shares on frontview but can on windows

Do you still see these shares after rebooting your PC?
Message 2 of 5
Jp1001
Aspirant

Thanks for your reply - yes I still see them after rebooting. Having lived with it a bit longer I may have spotted something relevant...

The user names i've set up on the readynas are myname and mywifesname. these are the same two user names we have on the W7 laptop. If I'm logged in as myname on the laptop, i have to give windows a user ID of myname and myname's readynas password in order to see readynas shares in windows explorer. The share i can see in windows (which i CAN'T see on the readynas) is also called myname.

Similarly if logged in as mywifesname on laptop and readynas, I can see a share called mywifesname in windows, which again I CAN'T see on the readynas.

the readynas user manual makes some reference to home shares, but doesn't explain what they are - is this what they are?

many thanks
Message 3 of 5
sphardy1
Apprentice

Yes - each user account created on the ReadyNAS also creates a share with the same name as the user. That share is private as it can only be accessed by the associated user and is not even visible to other users. Such shares are referred to as homeshares and do not appear in Frontview as regular shares do - the reasoning is that there is nothing that you need to control as you do for regular shares.
Message 4 of 5
Jp1001
Aspirant

Thanks a lot. Puts my mind at rest.
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements