× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Can't stream on LAN when internet goes out

Blanker-2
Guide

Can't stream on LAN when internet goes out

Hi guys.  Whenever my internet goes out I am unable to stream to my dune media player.  The Dune can't find the network share.  The files reside on my ReadyNAS so it should not require internet access.  

In the LAN setup page, I assign (in the router) static IPs to almost every device.  I am using my router as DHCP server with starting IP at 192.168.1.100 and it ends at .254.  I use the 1-99 to assign to specific devices. 

Any ideas what may be the problem?

router1.JPGrouter2.JPG

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 18
Blanker-2
Guide

Re: Can't stream on LAN when internet goes out

Can anyone offer any advice?  I wonder if I need to assign a static ip on the dune streamer (like in the dune itself)?  

Message 2 of 18
IrvSp
Master

Assuming the ReadyNAS is the problem, you might be better off asking HERE?

Message 3 of 18
Blanker-2
Guide

I think it is the way my network or dhcp is configured at the router? Ill post over there if no one can help here.
Thanks
Message 4 of 18
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Hi @Blanker-2, from your screenshot I cannot see what your default gateway on your local network is. There need to be a such a gateway on the local network otherwise the clients on your LAN cannot find each other (if there is no other gateway conducting this task). So, with no internet you do not seem to have such a gateway and all clients are blinded locally. Normally for this local gateway you specify the ip-address of the router and all is fine.

I do not know that nighthawk router you have, but would look into the LAN-configuration area, where you hopefully can specify the same ip-address of your router as the ip-address for the local gateway.

Good luck with fixing and kind regards

Message 5 of 18
Blanker-2
Guide

Thanks!  So I'll a little bit confused.  Screen shots below.  Are you saying that I should put the address of #2 into #3?2018-12-05 19_07_40-NETGEAR Router R7000.png2018-12-05 19_02_38-Snipping Tool.png

Message 6 of 18
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Sorry, @Blanker-2, I only see two triangle symbols instead of the screenshots. Dear netgear mods, can you help to make this visible or advise how the objects need to be pasted to appear visible? Thanks.

Message 7 of 18
IrvSp
Master

@Retired_Member, unfortunately that is how this forum works. A moderator has to approve the included picture. It can take some time for that to happen (they are available now). Some users have special rights and bypass the approval process (I think that with SENSI icon's).

Message 8 of 18
Sandshark
Sensei

I have a different Netgear router and ReadyNAS, but have no similar issue with my Mede8er player.  So, perhaps the issue is with the Dune player.

Message 9 of 18
IrvSp
Master

@Blanker-2, no, your router is set correctly.

It is the DEVICE that is not right. I thought I saw somewhere else you had shown the W10 IPCONFIG output and there was NO Gateway IP Address on it? That means you are NOT using the AUTO part for the Network Properties and MANUALLY set it, but did not put in a Gateway IP Address.

On my wired W10 PC the shortened cmd output:

Ethernet adapter Ethernet:
   Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
   Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::58bf:9e27:bf45:87e8%7
   IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.30
   Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

That last line on the one you posted, Default Gateway was BLANK... Needs to have the router IP Address in it.

Message 10 of 18
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@IrvSp, is absolutely right. Without a default gateway (your local router's ip address) specified in the client's config it will definitely not work.

Thanks and regards

Message 11 of 18
StephenB
Guru

@IrvSp wrote:

@Blanker-2, no, your router is set correctly.

It is the DEVICE that is not right. I thought I saw somewhere else you had shown the W10 IPCONFIG output and there was NO Gateway IP Address on it? That means you are NOT using the AUTO part for the Network Properties and MANUALLY set it, but did not put in a Gateway IP Address.

I am not seeing the ipconfig screen shot on this thread, but I agree that the router is set up correctly.

Any truly static IP address (not reserved in the router) does need to have the subnet mask set to 255.255.255.0 and the gateway address set to 192.168.1.1.  If you do that, then the streaming should work even if the internet is off. 

If you are connecting to the NAS via it's hostname, then try connecting with it's IP address instead.  Also, if ipv6 is enabled on the NAS, I suggest disabling it.

If the issue still happens after you've done all the things above, then please try disconnecting the router from the internet, and see if you can still access the NAS from the W10 PC.  If you can, then the issue is specific to the Dune player.

@IrvSp wrote:

@RolandWausE, ... A moderator has to approve the included picture. ... Some users have special rights and bypass the approval process.

Yes, all images need to be approved.

I can approve images also, so if you run into a situation where you can't see an image you can PM me with a link to the post.  I might not realize that you can't see it, since the forum software always shows me the images (which no hint that they aren't approved). 

Message 12 of 18
Blanker-2
Guide

ipconfig via cmd on my wired win10 machine:

IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.51
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

My dune is congured to access the share via ip address.  The dune is set to optabin ip address automatically, I will try to assign a static ip to it (in the dune itself) now that I know what gateway and subnet mask to put in there.  Should I also remove it from the static assignment from within my router, or it doesn't matter?

I still don't understand why this would work.  Why would losing internet cause any of this to not work?  Getting this to work is paramount to understanding it and I don't expect people here to spell it out for me when there's tons of info on the web.  

Thanks again for the help.  I'll report back to see if it worked.

Message 13 of 18
IrvSp
Master

There are two types of IP Addresses, actually 3:

• DHCP ones handed out by the router that can/will change on each device power up...
  • Fixed IP Address set in the device to always get that IP Address.
  • Reserved IP Addresses set in the Router by device MAC Address.

The 2nd one can cause a problem is that requested IP Address is within the range the router's DHCP server will hand out (although in your case this wouldn't happen.

The main reason for having a fixed IP address is to know what device is where. I used it so I can tell in the router LOG (which only shows IP Address and MAC addresses :

[DHCP IP: (192.168.1.30)] to MAC address F8:B1:56:DD:6A:5B, Thursday, Dec 06,2018 06:28:06
[DHCP IP: (192.168.1.4)] to MAC address 10:AE:60:57:25:06, Thursday, Dec 06,2018 06:24:23

This allows me to know for the ones I'm interested in what is going on. In the above the first is my wired PC with the IP Address of 192.168.1.30 assigned in the Advanced LAN Setup screen. The 2nd I really don't care about and it is set by the DHCP server's pool (.1 - .29 in my case).

I used the set known ones so I can easily connect to the device I want to without having to try and figure out where they are at that specific time each time I want to connect to them.

Usually though the NETBIOS name is enough, but with the latest W10, that isn't always the case.

Message 14 of 18
StephenB
Guru

@IrvSp wrote:

• DHCP ones handed out by the router that can/will change on each device power up...
  • Fixed IP Address set in the device to always get that IP Address.
  • Reserved IP Addresses set in the Router by device MAC Address.

The 2nd one can cause a problem is that requested IP Address is within the range the router's DHCP server will hand out (although in your case this wouldn't happen.

I always recommend reserving IP addresses in the router over manually configuring addresses in the devices.  It has the same effect as manually configured addresses, but it fails more gracefully.  If you were to get a router that used a different subnet (not 192.168.1.x), then all your manually configured devices would be unreachable.  In the case of ReadyNAS (or other devices w/o screens), this can be tricky to fix. 

Also, it is harder to manage your IP addresses when they are manually configured (leading to duplicate IP addresses, which can cause a lot of headaches).

@Blanker-2 wrote:

I still don't understand why this would work.  Why would losing internet cause any of this to not work?  Getting this to work is paramount to understanding it and I don't expect people here to spell it out for me when there's tons of info on the web.  

I don't think we know exactly what isn't working yet.  What we do know is that you can't stream with the router is disconnected from the internet.  But the idea that this is somehow related to IP addresses is just speculation (and I think is very unlikely to be the cause).  If static IP addresses were mis-configured, you almost certainly wouldn't be able to stream even when the internet is available.

You can put the IP address part of this to bed by pinging the various devices (NAS, media player, etc) when the internet cable is disconnected from your router.  My guess is that you will find that you can ping all of them.

Personally I think the more likely cause is that something is relying on an internet service.  That is more likely to be in the player than anywhere else.  For instance, if the media player were set up to dynamically download cover art, then that of course would fail when the internet wasn't available. 

Using the IP address to access the ReadyNAS in the player (instead of the hostname) is intended to rule out any possibility that the DNS service is somehow involved.  So I'd do that (after I tried the ping test).  Both are easy to do, and would rule out several possibilities that are now in play.

Message 15 of 18
Blanker-2
Guide

I don't want to be misunderstood.  I just didn't want to waste anyone's time.  Appreciate the help here.  Stephen I hope Netgear is paying you 🙂

@IrvSp thanks, that makes sense.  I just assumed that assigning a static ip in the router was the same as doing it in the actual device, but without the pitfalls that Stephen mentioned.

So, the dune was not assigned a static IP.  It fell into the 100-254 range that I blocked off for the devices that use the router as DHCP service.  I use 2-99 for my static assignments.  So I assiged the dune an ip of 192.168.1.2 (in the dune itself) and voila, it worked! I unplugged the internet cable coming out of my modem and the dune was able to access the share.

I put the dune back on auto and assigned the dune the same ip but in the router this time and that worked too.  As Stephen mentioned, I'd rather do all assignments in the router.

So the logic here is that when the dune had an "auto" ip address - it was set to use dhcp, it was then looking to the router for its ip address.  I still can't grasp why not having internet would cause a problem here.

I just checked the other dunes in my house.  One was already assigned 66 by the router (forgot I did that) and the other was not assigned.  With the internet cable disconnected - they were both able to connect (!?!)  Not sure what's going on here.

Anyway, thanks for the help.  Maybe this was caused by a bug that netgear fixed in one of the recent firmware updates and I didn't need to do anything at all!

Message 16 of 18
StephenB
Guru

@Blanker-2 wrote:

So the logic here is that when the dune had an "auto" ip address - it was set to use dhcp, it was then looking to the router for its ip address.  I still can't grasp why not having internet would cause a problem here.

Me either, so that is a mystery.  The good news is that the issue isn't happening now.

@Blanker-2 wrote:

Appreciate the help here.  Stephen I hope Netgear is paying you 🙂

I'm glad we could help Smiley Happy

Netgear doesn't pay superusers, I just like to help folks out where I can.

Message 17 of 18
Blanker-2
Guide

Thanks again!
Message 18 of 18
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 17 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements