× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Can't upgrade firmware over GUI or USB #27886772

nickface
Tutor

Can't upgrade firmware over GUI or USB #27886772

Hi all; I've actually been trying to upgrade the firmware for about 2 years, and have just got round to setting it up again on a new network, now that I've moved house.

So, to clarify:

- current firmware is 6.2.4.

- as per the instructions online, I'm trying to upgrade to 6.5.2 and then to [whatever the newest one is].

- logging in via ReadyCloud gives me a prompt to update the firmware. Clicking on it seems to download a file, try to install it and reboot the NAS. After that, I get exactly the same message when I log back in to ReadyCloud.

- I've tried using the USB Recovery Tool with three different USB flash drives. None of them have worked; both blue lights stay blinking indefinitely until you pull the power cord. It then reboots and nothing has changed.

I'm open to suggestions. I've lost most of a day trying to do this now, and I'm reaching the end of my tether.

Model: RN10200|ReadyNAS 100 Series 2- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 12

Accepted Solutions
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Can't upgrade firmware over GUI or USB #27886772

Try ReadyNAS OS 6: RN100/RN2120 cannot update due to invalid checksum

You can update direct from ReadyNAS OS 6.2.4 to ReadyNAS OS 6.6.1 which was just released yesterday. Unlike the update to 6.6.0 from 6.2.4 it doesn't require an intermediate update.

Edit: Sounds like you've already followed the required upgrade path for 6.6.0 by updating first to 6.5.2 using the above workaround then updating to 6.6.0 normally.

As for USB Boot Recovery not working either you formatted the USB key incorrectly or it's an incompatible one or the process to boot off USB was not followed correctly. You can have to try a number of USB keys before finding one that works.

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 12

All Replies
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello nickface,

Try logging in to http:// followed by the LAN IP of the NAS then check if the firmware version really updated under System > Overview. If it does not show it updated to the last version you installed, close it then clear browser cache then log in again. You may also check if you get the same results using another web browser. If same results, try loading the firmware manually by download the firmware from the download site then go to System > Settings > Manual install firmware.

Also, do you have full backup of the data?

Regards,

Message 2 of 12
nickface
Tutor

Hi JennC; thanks for the quick response.

I've done everything you suggested (I've actually done them before, numerous times, but have done them again just now). Still nothing - firmware is still 6.2.4. Any more suggestions?

I don't have a full backup of the data, and I'd like to try everything possible before wiping it. I don't mind risking it (ie when updating firmware), but backing everything up would be an enormous pain.

nick

Message 3 of 12
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello nickface,

What is the model number of the NAS again?

You might need to contact support for fixing this from the backend. I strongly suggest to back up your data too.

Regards,

Message 4 of 12
nickface
Tutor

Hi JennC; it's an RN10200. And yes, I probably should backup the data, but I'm using it as a media server, and part of the point of having a RAID drive was that I wouldn't need to have multiple copies of thing clogging everything up. 

How do I go about contacting support, then?

n

Model: RN10200|ReadyNAS 100 Series 2- Bay (Diskless)
Message 5 of 12
StephenB
Guru

@nickface wrote:

How do I go about contacting support, then?

n

my.netgear.com.  They will probably charge, so you might ask about per-incident support.

Message 6 of 12
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello nickface,

We always recommend to backup important data, anyway, storing important data to just one device is not a good idea. The RAID 1's purpose is if one disk fails you will still get the data, however, remember that these 2 disks are inserted to the NAS and whatever changes made on the settings of the NAS are saved to RAID volume, problems with OS, etc sometimes affect the volume which means the 2 disks as one copies the other.

To contact support, like StephenB mentioned, it is through my.netgear.com.

Regards,

Message 7 of 12
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Try ReadyNAS OS 6: RN100/RN2120 cannot update due to invalid checksum

You can update direct from ReadyNAS OS 6.2.4 to ReadyNAS OS 6.6.1 which was just released yesterday. Unlike the update to 6.6.0 from 6.2.4 it doesn't require an intermediate update.

Edit: Sounds like you've already followed the required upgrade path for 6.6.0 by updating first to 6.5.2 using the above workaround then updating to 6.6.0 normally.

As for USB Boot Recovery not working either you formatted the USB key incorrectly or it's an incompatible one or the process to boot off USB was not followed correctly. You can have to try a number of USB keys before finding one that works.

Message 8 of 12
nickface
Tutor

Thanks for all the advice - just so others who are having the same issue have something to read, I can say the issue is now solved -

- to their credit, Netgear phone support didn't charge me for their advice, so that's good to know.

- updated firmware using the 'workaround' - http://kb.netgear.com/29974/

- At that point, the automatic update worked, and it's now happy at 6.6.0.

- for reference, I tried 5 different USB flash drives, none of which worked. Yes, I followed the instructions: FAT32 formatted, between the two relevant sizes, etc etc. And, also for reference, it's not particularly helpful to say 'only some flash drives will work' and not offer any way to find out which ones will. What are people supposed to do? Keep buying flash drives until one works? Is that really the official solution?

Thanks for your help, all.

nick

Message 9 of 12
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Well I think a lot of people would already have a range of flash keys at home.

There are way too many models out there for us to have been able to keep track of them all.

Using the MBR partitioning scheme with the FAT32 partition the first partition on the key is important too.

Message 10 of 12
nickface
Tutor

The instructions are pretty comprehensive, I agree, and easy enough to follow. But if only some USB drives work, there must be a reason, right? And that reason could be communicated to people, to give them more of a chance of finding one that works, no? 

As I said, I have five USB drives at home, of varying size and manufacture date, and none of them worked. Mind you, given that it was a checksum error, they probably wouldn't have worked even if they were the right sort of drive...

Message 11 of 12
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

That checksum error issue is completely irrelevant to USB Boot Recovery. That error on e.g. 6.2.5 was caused by something specific to some firmware releases.

USB manufacturers don't promote whether their keys are compatible. The only way to verify if they are is to test them.

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements