× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Can you back up your Mac to ReadyNas without using TimeMachine?

Lu
Aspirant
Aspirant

Can you back up your Mac to ReadyNas without using TimeMachine?

Can you back up your Mac to ReadyNas without using TimeMachine?

I do not want to use TimeMachine to backup my computer because I do not want TimeMachine to erase my old backs once the drives are full.

Is there another way to backup without using TimeMachine?

Thanks.

Message 1 of 5
StephenB
Guru

Any backup software running on the Mac that can write to network drives will work.

Message 2 of 5
Lu
Aspirant
Aspirant

So I'm not sure how I would do this. Is this something I would need to do through the Admin page of RAIDar?

Message 3 of 5
StephenB
Guru

@Lu wrote:

So I'm not sure how I would do this. Is this something I would need to do through the Admin page of RAIDar?

No - it has nothing to do with the NAS administration.  You'd purchase a third-party backup software package for the Mac that supports network drives, and mount the backup share you want to use on the NAS on the Mac.

For instance, http://store.hermanstreet.com/mac-software-data-backup-3-for-mac-download.  Note I am not a Mac user, so I am not recommending this particular software.  There are several third party backup programs reviewed here: http://mac-backup-software-review.toptenreviews.com/

I do something similar with my Windows systems - back them up to the NAS with Acronis TrueImage.

Message 4 of 5
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Lu,

If ever you just want to backup some files such as spreadsheets, word documents, pdf files, etc. from you MAC computer to the NAS, let me share this link below and it might also help you:

Backup Files from MAC OS X to ReadyNAS using the ReadyNAS Built-in Backup Feature

Hope it helps Smiley Happy

Regards,

DaneA

Netgear Community Team

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements