× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Can you change the time that ReadyNAS deletes old snapshots?

jay2jay99
Aspirant

Can you change the time that ReadyNAS deletes old snapshots?

Can you change the time that ReadyNAS deletes old snapshots? I found my Plex dropped out at around the same time every day, I thought it was Plex but then I just noticed that at the same time the ReadyNAS is deleting snapshots. Is there anyway to change the time so it's like 4-5am?

Many thanks,

Jason.

Model: RN31400|ReadyNAS 300 Series 4- Bay
Message 1 of 8
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Can you send me your logs (see the Sending Logs link in my sig)?

Message 2 of 8
jay2jay99
Aspirant

Many thanks, I've sent them. I deleted a few of the snapshots to see if freeing up space would help but it didn't, every day at some point between 12:30 & 2am Plex is unresponsive and I can't manage it for an hour or two.

Message 3 of 8
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

There are a lot of snapshots on this system and a lot of fragmentation as a result.

15GiB of metadata on an 8.17TiB volume is a huge amount.

Also, I see you last did a factory default (wipes all data, settings, everything) back on 6.0.8.

You could try deleting a lot more snapshots and see if that helps.

When a snapshot is deleted all the newer ones have to be updated recursively. When you have a lot of snapshots in some cases this can put a high load on the system.

Message 4 of 8
jay2jay99
Aspirant

I did see while I was digging around that the Snapshots are huge, about 3.5TB, I'm not overly bothered about them, is there anyway to limit how many GB they use or is it easier just to disable them all togetger? I've never had to role back to a snapshot.

Also, you mention a factory default was done, I don't really remember doing that but are you saying that needs doing? Although you said it deletes data which doesn't sound good.

Many thanks for your help.

Message 5 of 8
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Well then if you've never done a factory reset manually that would mean your box shipped with 6.0.8.

With the next firmware release (6.5.0) there is the ability to control how many snapshots to keep if you disable smart snapshots.

A factory reset does destroy the data, so you would need to backup your data first. It gives you a clean setup with a clean filesystem, so it does have its advantages.

Message 6 of 8
jay2jay99
Aspirant

That sounds about right (shipping with 6.0.8). I'll see if there's a way to shrink down my snapstots, I've deleted the majority, yet still over 4TB is assigned to snapshots apparently..... and when I look at the snapshot (only one) for my Picture share it is consuming 16million TB, now in a few years that may be possible 😄 but right now I don't even know what that unit is....Exabyte maybe. It's sounding like a factory restore is needed, just need to find drives that can hold the data.

Message 7 of 8
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I have sent you a PM.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements