× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Cannot Access readyNAS shares when connecting from a domain joined computer

mdiehly64
Aspirant

Cannot Access readyNAS shares when connecting from a domain joined computer

Greetings!

I'm tearing my hair out trying to figure this out.  Maybe it just can't be done.

I am on a Windows 7 computer joined to a Windows 2003 domain.  I am logged into the domain.  My readyNAS 202 is setup to use a "local database" for permissions and access.  I have created several shares on the NAS, leaving the default permissions.

I can see the readyNAS if I use the console via HTTP to the admin page.  Everything works fine.

However, when I try to connect to the shares from "Network" on "My Computer", I can't get in now matter what combination of creditials I use.  The password box is pre-populated with my domain name, and expects me to connect from that domain.  I can't.

I use a slash in front to specify that I'm not using a domain "\admin" and enter my password, and it comes back "Incorrect user name or password".  I tried using "\workgroup\admin", and that doesn't work either.  I tried created a user on the readyNAS and tried to use those credentials.  No luck,

However, if I go to another machine on the network, but not joined to a domain, I can get in no problem!

What gives?  Is it that I can't connect to it if I'm joined to a domain?  

I don't want to use Active Directory on the readyNAS because we are switching over to a new Server on a different AD controller.

Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
mdiehly64
Aspirant

Re: Cannot Access readyNAS shares when connecting from a domain joined computer

I enabled a few services on my machine and it seems to be working now.  I've tried so many different things, however, that I don't know which one was the fix.

Thanks for your help.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 3

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

My laptop is joined to my work domain, and I am not seeing this issue.

The general format for a windows logon is domain\username.  But the ReadyNAS ignores the domain portion.

Try opening a command window, and enter

net use * /delete

net use t: \\nas.ip.address\data /user:admin password

where nas.ip.address is the ip address of your nas, and password is the admin password of the NAS.

That should map the NAS data volume to the T drive letter on the PC.  

Let us know if that works for you (and if not, what error you are getting).

Message 2 of 3
mdiehly64
Aspirant

I enabled a few services on my machine and it seems to be working now.  I've tried so many different things, however, that I don't know which one was the fix.

Thanks for your help.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements