× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Cannot access Admin page or Files

Lindenrb
Initiate

Cannot access Admin page or Files

Hi All,

I have a Netgear ReadyNAS NV+ v2 that I set up back in 2012. On this drive I have stored a lot of old documents such as backup's of all my Uni notes etc. I havent used the NAS in a few years now, but wanted to look at getting some of these files off.

I've plugged the NAS in, and it seems to boot up OK, it got an IP adress etc. Looking in my network connections on my computer, I can see the ReadyNAS. However I am unable to access anything.

I've tried going through the admin portal. At first I was getting issues with Chrome/Edge/Firefox due to the TLS 1.0 not being supported anymore. I tried following the advice in this similar post, which recommended to try Firefox v94.0.2 (https://community.netgear.com/t5/New-ReadyNAS-Users-General/ReadyNAS-NV-Cannot-access-Files/m-p/2198...)

This got me one step closer, I was able to at least add a security exception and proceed past the security certificate page, but instead of taking me to the admin page, I get a "403 Forbidden - You don't have permission to access /admin/ on this server." page instead now. This is the same as I get when trying to use Internet Explorer. It doesnt pop anything up or ask for my admin credentials

I have tried installing RAIDar and its showing the NAS up and running with status: Healthy. Apparently my firmware is 5.3.10 and it can see my two drives and IP address. The browse buttons just takes me to a generic windows explorer window though.

I have also tried navigating directly to what used to be one of my shares "\\NASname\Sharename\" but all I get is a Network error saying windows cannot access this location.

I'd really like to get access to these files, I dont want to have lost all my old Uni work (along with my Thesis). How screwed am I right now? Any help would be greatly appreciated

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Not sure why you are getting the 403 error.  Is there internet security software running on the PC?

The shares on your NAS use the SMB 1 protocol, which is also being deprecated.  If you are using windows, go into "turn Windows Features on or off", and enable the SMB 1 client on the PC.  You'll get a security warning, but you'll need to proceed anyway.  Then entering \\nas-ip-address in the file explorer address bar (using the the real IP address of course) should give you the share list. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 6

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

Not sure why you are getting the 403 error.  Is there internet security software running on the PC?

The shares on your NAS use the SMB 1 protocol, which is also being deprecated.  If you are using windows, go into "turn Windows Features on or off", and enable the SMB 1 client on the PC.  You'll get a security warning, but you'll need to proceed anyway.  Then entering \\nas-ip-address in the file explorer address bar (using the the real IP address of course) should give you the share list. 

Message 2 of 6
Lindenrb
Initiate

Thanks Stephen,

The only thing I'm running is Windows Defender, so not sure about the 403 error either.

Thanks for your tip on the SMB client. That helped me at least gain access to the shares and retrieve my files. Looks like one of the drives is on its way out too so probably fortuitous timing to get everything off and back up elsewhere. 

Again thanks for your help, I appreciate it!

Message 3 of 6
IanSav
Apprentice

Hi Stephen,

I am now also seeing issues connecting to my older ReadNAS units.  This problem only started recently after updates to the common browsers.  For example Chrome now reports:
This site can’t provide a secure connection

xxx.xxx.com uses an unsupported protocol.

ERR_SSL_VERSION_OR_CIPHER_MISMATCH
Hide details
Unsupported protocol
The client and server don't support a common SSL protocol version or cipher suite.

Edge reports:

The connection for this site is not secure

Hide details
Unsupported protocol
The client and server don't support a common SSL protocol version or cipher suite.

I can successfully connect with Internet Explorer but Microsoft will be disabling this in the next few weeks.  Is there anything that can be done to keep these NAS boxes connected?  I assume that this is just a case of some expired certificates.

My ReadyNAS NVX and Pro 6 are still running fine, even though I need SMB1, and I would like to keep using them for as long as the hardware lasts.  In this day of climate change concerns I think it is unacceptable and ridiculous to throw away perfectly acceptable and working hardware because the manufacturer wants us to buy newer models.  Can you please see if Netgear would consider becoming green and politically correct by granting us some minimal updates to keep these boxes as part of our networks.

Regards,
Ian.

Message 4 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@IanSav wrote:

The connection for this site is not secure

Hide details
Unsupported protocol

My ReadyNAS NVX and Pro 6 are still running fine, even though I need SMB1, and I would like to keep using them for as long as the hardware lasts. 

There's a quite long thread on this issue here: https://community.netgear.com/t5/New-ReadyNAS-Users-General/Workaround-for-ERR-SSL-VERSION-OR-CIPHER...  FWIW, this has nothing to do with certificates.  It has everything to do with the deprecation of TLS 1.0 in the browsers - as the message says, the browser and the ReadyNAS no longer support a common SSL protocol version.

The short answer for 4.2.x systems is to install the free add-on from rnxtras.com ( @WhoCares_ ) here: https://github.com/rdynsxtrs/rn4bin/blob/main/apache2/x86/Apache2_2.2.34-x86-0.2.0.bin That will add the TLS 1.2 protocol to your NAS.

I believe that editing virtual.conf (as described in the main thread) will also work for 4.2.x systems - however I did not test it with that firmware as I have no NAS that are running it.

FWIW, your Pro 6 can be converted to run OS-6 firmware (and I have done that with my own Pro 6).  However, the NVX cannot be converted, as OS-6 requires a 64 bit architecture, and the NVX is only 32 bit.

@IanSav wrote:

My ReadyNAS NVX and Pro 6 are still running fine, Can you please see if Netgear would consider becoming green and politically correct by granting us some minimal updates to keep these boxes as part of our networks.

I don't work for Netgear, and I have no influence there.  They announced that there would be no more updates to 4.2.x firmware in 2016.  Though they did do one more in May 2017, I don't think they will do any more.

@IanSav wrote:
I think it is unacceptable and ridiculous to throw away perfectly acceptable and working hardware because the manufacturer wants us to buy newer models.

Although Netgear hasn't announced anything, as far as I can tell they are exiting the NAS business.  It's been 5 years since they announced the last ReadyNAS platforms (the RN426 and RN428 models).

Message 5 of 6
IanSav
Apprentice

Hi Stephen,

My search abilities failed me and only found this topic.  Thank you for the prompt reply.  I will chase down that patch link.

It is a shame that Netgear bought Infrant and then let the product go through such a long and very undignified death.  My new hope is that if they exit the business they will open the source code to others with an interest and ability to keep these boxes working for as long as the hardware survives.  🙂

Thank you again,

Regards,

Ian.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements