× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Cannot access USB disk; nwk password required

PerBKWine
Tutor

Cannot access USB disk; nwk password required

I have had a possible disk failure on a hard disk attached to the Netgear Readynas server. After having swapped the possibly failing HD with a new one I can no longer access the USB drive.

If I try and access it (using Windows Explorer) I get a "login" request from a "Windows Security" panel: "Enter Network Password".

There has never been a network password on this network.

This is the setup:

NAS:
A Netgear ReadyNAS NV+ with 4 x 2TB disk in a RAID1
Two USB disks (2 x 2TB) attached to the NAS, EXT3 formatted

Network:
Local LAN. No passwords. "Work network", using "workgroup".

Computer:
Windows 7.

The computer and the network has never had any passwords defined. The computer has only one user (admin) that does not require login. There are no credentials defined (and have never been) on the Windows machine.

I replace the failing disk and format it, using Frontview.

The result:

I can still access the old attached USB disk but if I try and access the new attached USB disk I get prompted for a "Network Password" that does not exist. So I cannot access the new disk.

(I tried using the NAS user and password but that did not work.)

If instead I put back the old faulty disk (it sometimes gives a write error) then I CAN access that.

What's happening? Why can I not access the new disk?

What do I need to do to be able to access the new USB disk?
Message 1 of 15
StephenB
Guru

Re: Cannot access USB disk; nwk password required

Did you look at the USB settings for the new disk volume in Frontview?
Message 2 of 15
PerBKWine
Tutor

Well, yes. There's not much there to see. Or I am missing something?

Under Volumes > USB Storage there are no settings, just the status, that looks fine. The new is identical to the old, apart from "Description" being different.

Under Shares > Shares Listing > Shares on USB Storage Devices both look almost identical (apart from Description being different), with one exception:

--Password is blank

--CIFS:
Default Access: Read/Write
Share Access Restrictions and the following options: not ticked

--AFP:
Default access: Read/Write

--HTTP/S:
Default access: Read/Write
No other restrictions

--Advanced Options:
Share folder owner: "root" on the NEW HD, but it is "USB_HDD_5", = the share name, on the OLD, accessible drive
Share folder group: root
The three "rights" are all Read/write (the first one is greyed out)
"Set ownership and permissions....": not ticked
"Grant rename and delete privileges...": ticked

In the advanced options I changed root to USB_HDD_14 (=the share name) for the new disk but it changed nothing.

Also, forgot:
Running radiator version 4.1.13 on the ReadyNas NV+
Message 3 of 15
PerBKWine
Tutor

Have also checked that the new disk is compatible. It is on the hw compatibility list for the NV+. (It's a Seagate Barracuda, ST2000DM001)

Am accessing the two USB disks over a 2 slot disk docking station. Thought that maybe the docking station could be causing a problem with two different disk in it. So I tested using a different docking station for one of the disk, thus avoiding having two different disks in the dual docking station.

No luck. Still the same problem. Can access the old disk without a problem (as well as the NAS itself) but the new disk is not accessible: Windows asks for a "network password" that does not exist....
Message 4 of 15
StephenB
Guru

- is "guest access" checked for the new drive?
-Did you also change the group to "nogroup"? when you changed to owner?
-After you changed the owner/group of the share, did you also check the "Set ownership and permission" box and click apply?
Message 5 of 15
PerBKWine
Tutor

What do you mean? Where is that configuration?

I can't find any such parameter in Volume or Shares settings.

-Did you also change the group to "nogroup"? when you changed to owner?

No, I did not. It is still "root" as it was by default. The accessible (old) disk has "Share folder group" set to "root" so I did not think that I should change it.

I will try deleting that group and set it to blank.

did you also check the "Set ownership and permission" box and click apply?

No, I did not. Same reason as above, the functioning old disk does not have it.

But I will try that too.

Thanks for the suggestions!

I will report back when I have tried it (tomorrow morning).
Message 6 of 15
StephenB
Guru

PerBKWine wrote:

What do you mean? Where is that configuration?

I can't find any such parameter in Volume or Shares settings.
Its in the "Share Access Restrictions" section on the CIFS tab.
Message 7 of 15
PerBKWine
Tutor

Stephen,

Guest access

There is no such setting in my Frontview.

Here's what I have:
- Share Access Restrictions, which has only one setting: "Host allowed access" to restrict access to certain hosts. It is not ticked. No mention of "guest" here.
- Share Display Option. To hide the share
- Recycle bin (not ticked)
- Opportunistic Locking (not ticked)

Change group to "nogroup"

I tried with "nogroup". Made no change. Still asks for network password.

I also tried with having nothing in that field (i.e. leaving it blank). Was not accepted. Was reset to root.

"Set ownership and permission"

Ticked the box and clicked "apply". No change. Still not accessible.

It is very strange how one USB disk is accessible without any problem but the other, that is configured identically, is not.

Also interesting to note that the NAS itself can access the USB disk. I run a backup from the NAS disks with the USB disks as destination and that backup did run as it should, writing to the USB disk.
Message 8 of 15
StephenB
Guru

What firmware are you running on the NAS?

What is the security mode configured as (user or share)?
Message 9 of 15
PerBKWine
Tutor

Running RAIDiator 4.1.13 [1.00a043]

Security mode: Share, with Workgroup defined as "WORKGROUP". Which is the same workgroup as My Computer has.

More oddities:

I thought that maybe there was a problem with the docking station. So instead of having the drive in a dual-slot USB docking station I put the inaccessible drive first in a separate, single-slot, dock and then I tried with a classic hard drive enclosure that I had available. I tried attaching it to the back-side USB port (normal) and to the front USB port. All gave the same thing. Not accessible. (or rather, requiring the not existing network password)

I then tried attaching the inaccessible USB drive to something else than the ReadyNas NV+:

To a Windows XP machine (that can read EXT drives): drive is accessible.

To another NAS that I have, a ReadyNas NV+ V2: drive is accessible. No password required. This other NAS is attached to the network in the same way as the one that is giving me problems, over the LAN.

But on the Netgear ReadyNas NV+ it is still not accessible... 😮
Message 10 of 15
StephenB
Guru

Try setting a password for the share on the USB drive, and then clearing it.
Message 11 of 15
PerBKWine
Tutor

INCREDIBLE. That worked!

First I changed the password & _restarted_ the NAS. That did not help. In fact, when the NAS had restarted there was no longer any password set for that share. (Or did I forget to click 'apply'? No, I think I did click 'apply')

Then I simply change the password and clicked apply. The password was registered. Then I deleted the password and clicked 'apply'.

It worked. It still works after having restarted both the Nas and the pc.

All the other parameters are back to their default setting (e.g. folder owner and group is back to 'root').

Wonderful.

Do you think that is a bug in the RAIDiator sw? Or do you have any clue what might be wrong? (Something must be wrong. Can't be like that it's supposed to work.)

MANY, MANY thanks for you help and your patience!
Message 12 of 15
StephenB
Guru

Other folks who use share mode also reported that they need to set a password on a new share and then clear it. Mine is set up for user mode, so it didn't immediately occur to me.

Certainly its a Raidiator bug, but since Netgear has phased out the share security mode it won't be fixed.
Message 13 of 15
PerBKWine
Tutor

Many thanks again!
Message 14 of 15
KFjr
Aspirant

I spent hours looking for the solution.  I had previously had drives working and then updated them.

Many thanks!!!!

Such an easy fix.

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements