× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Cannot add a hard drive to ReadyNAS NV+ v1

caddy512
Aspirant

Cannot add a hard drive to ReadyNAS NV+ v1

I have a ReadyNAS NV+ V1 system.  It has 2 1TB hard drives (SAMSUNG HD204UI) under X-RAID which have been working great for some time.  I recently needed to add storage so i purchased a new Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1TB, which is approved from the Netgear Hard Drive Compatibility list.  

When I go to add the drive the system faults out telling me "The disk attached to channel 1 could not be initialized.  The most common reasons are RAID resync in progress, faulty drives, and disks that are too small to be added to the arrray."  I have tried updating the frimware to the latest (4.1.14) and still cannot get the drive to integrate with the array.  

Whats wrong?  What do I need to do?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Cannot add a hard drive to ReadyNAS NV+ v1

Thanks for the logs. The logs show that the disks you have installed are 2TB disks. So the 1TB disk you added would have been rejected as too small. You would need to add 2TB disks to expand this volume.

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 8

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

Try testing the new drive with seatools (in a windows PC).  

What slot is the new disk in?

Message 2 of 8
caddy512
Aspirant

The two current drives are in 2-3.  I have tried adding this drive to bays 1 and 4.

I dont have a windows PC to test the hard drive with sadly.  I can tell you that the drive does start spinning and doesnt have any funny noises/sounds upon powerup.

Message 3 of 8
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The HD204UI is a 2TB disk. Are the existing disks in the NAS 1TB or 2TB disks?

Message 4 of 8
caddy512
Aspirant

They existing disks are 1TB.  Also the one I purchased was 1TB.  Model ST1000DM003.

Message 5 of 8
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Can you send me your logs (see the Sending Logs link in my sig).

Message 6 of 8
caddy512
Aspirant

Sent you an email.

Message 7 of 8
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Thanks for the logs. The logs show that the disks you have installed are 2TB disks. So the 1TB disk you added would have been rejected as too small. You would need to add 2TB disks to expand this volume.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements