× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Cannot connect Time Machine with SMB only AFP

jbattista
Tutor

Cannot connect Time Machine with SMB only AFP

I have a MB PRO running El Capitan - v10.11.6 and ReadyNAS 212 with firmware 6.9.3.  If this matters, NightHawk R7000 router.  

I'm trying to back up multiple MacOS devices using private Time Machine.  By default, Netgear OS is set to SMB (and warns if switching to AFP).   I am unable to see any partition or share under Time Machine for ReadyNAS user when set to SMB.  I see the ReadyNAS device under the finder and can access the directories.  But, my Time Machine can not see any partitions; no matter what user i login to the volume as. 

I enabled AFP on the ReadyNAS and logged-in with admin.  That seems to bring up a Private Time Machine partition that is usable.  

1. Does anyone have a solution to using SMB for Time Machine instead of AFP?    

2. How do I remotely backup a MacOS computer to Time Machine on ReadyNAS?  Do I really need to setup a VPN or is there another way to see the remote user's Time Machine partition?

Thanks in advance

Model: RN21200|ReadyNAS 212 Series 2-Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 2

Accepted Solutions
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Cannot connect Time Machine with SMB only AFP

1. Update to 10.12 or 10.13. I think the change to have SMB as the protocol of choice for TM Backups was made in 10.12. Or if you want to stay on 10.11.6 you could turn AFP back on.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2

All Replies
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Cannot connect Time Machine with SMB only AFP

1. Update to 10.12 or 10.13. I think the change to have SMB as the protocol of choice for TM Backups was made in 10.12. Or if you want to stay on 10.11.6 you could turn AFP back on.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements