× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Cannot connect to ReadyNAS with windows 10 with new router

mlobrien117
Aspirant

Cannot connect to ReadyNAS with windows 10 with new router

I have a RN31222D. I recently installed a new router on our network. I can access the RN312 through the new router on my MacBook but cannot on my Windows 10 machine. I can access the RN312 through a different router in our building. It seems to be only with the new TP Link Archer C7 I am having the problem

Model: RN31222D|ReadyNAS 300 Series 2- Bay (2x 2TB Desktop)
Message 1 of 18

Accepted Solutions
mlobrien117
Aspirant

Thanks for help. I will continue to use the ip address and not worry about the hostname. 

View solution in original post

Model: RN31222D|ReadyNAS 300 Series 2-Bay
Message 10 of 18

All Replies
JohnCM_S
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi mlobrien117,

Welcome to the Community!

I would like to gather more information to be able to assist you on this.

1. How is the IP address on the NAS configured? Is it static or DHCP?

2. Can you ping the NAS IP address on the Windows 10 computer when you are using the new router?

Regards,

Message 2 of 18
mlobrien117
Aspirant

Hi John,

The IP Address is DHCP

I can ping the NAS IP Address. 

Since my post I have entered the ip address into the windows file explorer (\\192.168....) and I can access the files on the NAS. Interestingly when I am connected via ethernet and other routers in the building the NAS comes up automatically under network and devices.

Message 3 of 18
aks-2
Apprentice

So accessing the NAS via IP address works as expected, meaning you are normally accessing it via a name?

Windows Explorer usually shows several categories: computers, media, storage, etc. Accessing via storage would bring up the NAS dashboard. What do you see?

From a command prompt, you could type 'net use' or Windows Credential Manager and remove old entries.

Message 4 of 18
StephenB
Guru

@mlobrien117 wrote:

Since my post I have entered the ip address into the windows file explorer (\\192.168....) and I can access the files on the NAS. 

Can you also access it using the host name (\\nas-host-name in file explorer)?

If you can, the problem is related to discovery, not access/connection.

Message 5 of 18
mlobrien117
Aspirant

Yes normally access it by name as it normally shows in the Network section of File Explorer.
All I see is Computer and Network Infrastructure
Typed in net use and there are no entries in the list
Message 6 of 18
mlobrien117
Aspirant

I cannot access it by using the host name in windows explorer. I get the message saying network error windows cannot access \\.....
Message 7 of 18
StephenB
Guru

@mlobrien117 wrote:
I cannot access it by using the host name in windows explorer. I get the message saying network error windows cannot access \\.....

Ok.  Does pinging the hostname work?

Message 8 of 18
Sandshark
Sensei

That's not an uncommon problem.  The only solutions I have found are to just use the IP address or put the host name in your Windows hosts file (Google to find out how).  Doing either of those requires the NAS to always have the same IP address.  It is better to reserve an address in your router than to use Static IP within the NAS.

Message 9 of 18
mlobrien117
Aspirant

Thanks for help. I will continue to use the ip address and not worry about the hostname. 

Message 10 of 18
aks-2
Apprentice

I know this might be a bit of a waste of time, but surely we can find out what's causing this problem, come on, we are techies :).

from a command prompt (as administrator) try: nbtstat -RR

Message 11 of 18
Sandshark
Sensei

I have a complete thread elsewhere trying to fiure this out.  Nothing has helped.  The biggest clue is that Windows never even presents a login window.  The first time after reboot that you try to access it, it takes longer, like it's thinking about asking for credentials, then it fails.  Thereafter, it fails immediately.

Oh, and if my dual-boot machine is running Windows 7 when you do the first access, then it works (on the Win10 computers). 

This all began on the 1803 Win10 update.

Note, too, that  I do not and will not consider putting NAS credentials in the Windows Credentials manager.

Message 12 of 18
StephenB
Guru

@Sandshark wrote:

Note, too, that  I do not and will not consider putting NAS credentials in the Windows Credentials manager.

I don't think that would solve the OP's issue anyway, since he can access the NAS by IP address. 

In this case it appears to be "just" a name resolution problem, perhaps because the NAS is on a different subnet.  There is a "legacy windows discovery" control in system->settings->smb, but that's really for Win7 (and earlier).  Still, if the Win10 system has SMB 1.0 installed it might help.

Message 13 of 18
aks-2
Apprentice

Is it possible that Credentials Manager has remembered some credentials somehow?

A quick test to try is map a drive, untick "reconnect at sign-in", and tick "connect using different credentials". This *should* force Windows to show the credential dialog box?

It might also be worth opening a command prompt and typing: ipconfig /all

Check: default gateway, ip address, subnet mask, netbios over tcpip is enabled.

I do realise that you may have already tried some of these, just making suggestions in case you haven't!

Message 14 of 18
Sandshark
Sensei

For me, I've tried all that and more.  Trust me, I'm way ahead of you trying everything.

For the other user, maybe.

Message 15 of 18
rbeidas
Aspirant

Hello, I have a RNDP2000 that is running on a mesh network. My computer is running Windows 10 - 64 bit and Windows 11 - 64 bit.

I can see the drive on Windows 10 but cannot access it.  

I get the error message as in the attached file. 

Appreciate help with thanks 

Message 16 of 18
StephenB
Guru

What firmware are you running?

Can you connect to the NAS admin web interface?

Does the NAS have a static IP address?

Message 17 of 18
Sandshark
Sensei

"Account is disabled" is an odd one, at least to me.

A little more detail will help:

When you say you can "see the drive", you mean the NAS shows up in the Network window?

You are then trying to access it by double-clicking the NAS icon when you see this message?  Or does the NAS window open and you are double-clicking on a share within it?

Are you presented with a request for credentials to the NAS before you see the message?

Are your NAS user name and Windows user name the same?  How about the passwords? 

Is there a chance you are using a user name that's reserved on the NAS?

Message 18 of 18
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 17 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements