× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Cannot connect with NV+ not even with CIFS or NFS

Bluemoonin65
Aspirant

Cannot connect with NV+ not even with CIFS or NFS

I know there is an issue with AFP and that an update is due from Netgear sometime in the future, but I have my iTunes library on my ReadyNAS and under Snow Leopard I accessed the files usuing CIFS, but under Lion my Mac is refusing to connect in any way at all regardless of what protocol I try.

Under the workgroup connection and CIFS I get the message "The server may not exist or it is unavailable at this time. Check the server IP address, check your network connection, and then try again."

The NAS is running fine, I can stream media over a DLNA connection, the connection is fine ( I still have internet connection and when I turn the various protocols on and off on the ReadyNAS the status in finder changes ) but I just cannot connect.

I have checked all user names and passwords and they are all as they should be.

Can anyone give me an idea of what I might be doing wrong or if there is a work around?

Cheers

Product: NV+
RAIDiator Version: RAIDiator 4.1.7 [1.00a043]
RAID Info: X-RAID
Hard Disk Brand, Model & Capacity: 4 x Seagate ST31500341AS [1397 GB]
ReadyNAS Security Mode: Share
No. Hard Disk currently installed: 4
Network Router/Switch Info: Netgear WNR3500
Message 1 of 8
ChrisMc73
Aspirant

Re: Cannot connect with NV+ not even with CIFS or NFS

I was using CIFS before Lion as well, because AFP would never connect. But now after Lion CIFS doesn't connect, like you are seeing, but AFP does connect, when I hit it from the Finder, the shares show up and I can access them. However Time Machine doesn't work to connect to it.

I'm confused why before CIFS worked, now it doesn't and vice versa, before AFP didn't work and now it does?

Very lost here. Not an expert on network protocols either.
Message 2 of 8
Skywalker
NETGEAR Expert

You may need to switch over to User security mode. Share mode requires use of an older authentication method which is not supported by modern OSes.
Message 3 of 8
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Take a look at this unofficial guide on making the switch to user mode: http://sphardy.com/web/usermode
Message 4 of 8
Skywalker
NETGEAR Expert

Okay, I think Apple may have changed some other behavior that I wasn't aware of. To connect using CIFS, are you able to use Cmd+K, and type in smb://[ip_of_nas] to connect?
Message 5 of 8
ChrisMc73
Aspirant

Skywalker wrote:
Okay, I think Apple may have changed some other behavior that I wasn't aware of. To connect using CIFS, are you able to use Cmd+K, and type in smb://[ip_of_nas] to connect?

Yes, I was able to do that. Without going over my head with technical talk, which one is better for me to use? CIFS or AFP? I use the two shares on my NAS for

1)iTunes Music Library
2)My RAW Photo Storage

Which one of the protocols should I use? CIFS or AFP? One perform better than another?
Having never used the AFP for my shares, today using it for the first time, it seems to load the songs and movies faster...maybe I'm crazy?

Thanks
Message 6 of 8
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

If just using Mac OS X, use AFP. Apple Filing Protocol is a native Mac OS X protocol so should work better with Macs.

CIFS (aka SMB aka Windows File Sharing) is more useful if you have both Windows machines and Macs and want to keep things simple using one protocol.
Message 7 of 8
ChrisMc73
Aspirant

mdgm wrote:
If just using Mac OS X, use AFP. Apple Filing Protocol is a native Mac OS X protocol so should work better with Macs.

CIFS (aka SMB aka Windows File Sharing) is more useful if you have both Windows machines and Macs and want to keep things simple using one protocol.

Ahh, well now that we are all Mac in the house, I guess AFP is the way to go! Thanks for all your help, I won't worry about the CIFS stuff, AFP is my friend!
Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements