× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Cannot create new share and all existing shares inaccessible

markwhitmarsh
Aspirant

Cannot create new share and all existing shares inaccessible

Hi,

We have two ReadyNAS 4220s (NAS01 and NAS03).

NAS01 has filled up so I created a new share on NAS03 and copied folders and files over from NAS01.

The copy went fine and I was able to browse the new share to compare the files and folders before deleting them from NAS01.

However, when I went to access another share on NAS03 from another computer I was unable to browse for it.

I then lost access from my PC and now no computers on our network can access any shares on NAS03. NAS01 is unaffected.

The admin page is available on NAS03 and looking through the logs I see the following message:

Volume: System volume root's usage is 90%. This condition should not occur in normal conditions. Contact technical support.

When I tried to create another new share I got an error message with the following details:

Failed DB Query for cifs 'DELETE FROM user_acl'. Internal DB error. (312:11database disk image is malformed)

I tried to connect via SSH but the login fails with a timeout.

Any help gratefully received,

Mark.

Model: RN422X124|ReadyNAS 4220 10Gbase-T
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
markwhitmarsh
Aspirant

Re: Cannot create new share and all existing shares inaccessible

The final piece in the puzzle to get the NAS working again was to manually restart Samba and Winbind.

Once those two services were restarted all my AD permissions came back, shares were accessible and the admin page works.

Luckily these devices will be de-commissioned by the end of the year.

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 9

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

Your best option is to follow the advice, and contact technical support (my.netgear.com).  There are two things that need to happen (at least) - the OS partition needs to be cleaned, and the corrupt ReadyNAS database needs to be repaired.

Message 2 of 9
markwhitmarsh
Aspirant

Unfortunately I don't think we have support with Netgear for those NAS boxes.

I tried using the support chat but after 20 minutes of waiting to be connected to an agent I gave up.

Message 3 of 9
StephenB
Guru

Unfortunately you can wait a long time - I was in the phone queue myself for well over an hour last week (a switch issue, not the NAS).

If you are comfortable with shell access, you can enable ssh and then take a look at what's on the OS partition.  But that might not clear the database corruption error.  https://kb.netgear.com/30068/ReadyNAS-OS-6-SSH-access-support-and-configuration-guides

If everything is backed up, you can of course do a factory default, rebuild the NAS, and reload from backup.

Message 4 of 9
markwhitmarsh
Aspirant

SSH access isn't working either. At least yesterday it asked me for a password and then timed out but today it rejects the connection immediately.

The admin page has stopped working too so the unit is completely inaccessible. I'll have to take a walk over to the box and check out the display.

Is it possible to do a clean shutdown at the unit itself or will I just have to pull the power out?

Thanks for your help so far,

Mark.

Message 5 of 9
StephenB
Guru

@markwhitmarsh wrote:

Is it possible to do a clean shutdown at the unit itself or will I just have to pull the power out?

My ReadyNAS are all desktop models, but the hardware manual for rackmounts says you can. http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/RN2120/ReadyNAS_OS6_Rackmount_HWM_EN.pdf

To gracefully shut down your system using the Power button:

1. Press the Power button on the front panel of the system. The Power LED blinks, prompting you to confirm the shutdown.
  2. Press the Power button again.

The system shuts down gracefully

Of course yours isn't acting normally, and you might end up pulling the plug.

Message 6 of 9
markwhitmarsh
Aspirant

Well, after a hard power off we're back in business - almost...

The controlled shutdown using the power button isn't an option on the 4220 so I had to just push and hold the button until it shutdown.

After the reboot I could SSH onto the box and found the 4GB system volume only had a few hundred Kb free space. I'd made a mistake either with my scp or rsync command when I was trying to copy files from one NAS to the other. The offending file was deleted and now the admin page is accessible again.

However, all my AD permissions have vanished and MPNAS03 can't sync to AD any more to retrieve users and groups. MPNAS01 is fine so I made sure all the parameters were the same on both NAS boxes but no dice.

I downloaded the logs and in the ads.log file I see this error message:

Fail to insert $home_folder/$user/$group/$group_has_user: Internal DB error. (2410:11:database disk image is malformed)

Also, I can't make any changes to the authentication settings because of this error:

Backup tables failed

I'm losing my patience with this thing!

Message 7 of 9
markwhitmarsh
Aspirant

The final piece in the puzzle to get the NAS working again was to manually restart Samba and Winbind.

Once those two services were restarted all my AD permissions came back, shares were accessible and the admin page works.

Luckily these devices will be de-commissioned by the end of the year.

Message 8 of 9
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello markwhitmarsh,

Thank you for updating the topic you started with what resolved it.

To close the topic, mark the post that has the solution as accepted solution.

Feel free to post any questions, comments or suggestion. Thank you for your contribution to the community!

Regards,

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements