× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Cannot delete old snapshot FOLDER

Steedvlx600
Luminary

Cannot delete old snapshot FOLDER

New setup with 6 4TB WD Reds.

Managed to migrate all the data. A Few days later, noticed that "snapshots" were on by default.

So, I figured out how to disable snapshots, and deleted them all manually.

I now have a "snapshot" folder sitting in my home folder that I cannot delete no matter what I have tried.

Permissions are (shockingly) totally unavailable to admin in the home folder. there are not even menu selections to properly manage permissions at or below the the home folder level. I have more control over the default folders that I DON'T use.

Can this be right? No permissions utility for the "home" folders? If i am just missing something, how do I access them to take ownership of that folder and delete it?

Lots of quirks in these boxes, I am noticing.

Model: RN31600|ReadyNAS 300 Series 6- Bay
Message 1 of 7
aks
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

From the admin web interface you can reset all the permissions for the whole share, however, the easiest method for this (I think) is to ssh to the NAS and change whatever you need from the command line. You need to install add-on "Enable SSH", then use a terminal shell (on Windows I use PuTTY and on Mac I just open Terminal).

Message 2 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@Steedvlx600 wrote:

Permissions are (shockingly) totally unavailable to admin in the home folder. there are not even menu selections to properly manage permissions at or below the the home folder level. I have more control over the default folders that I DON'T use.

That is correct.  "private" folders are set up for each used in home, and you cannot set up network permissions to share those folders.  They are available to the user and the NAS admin.  File permissions can't be set from the GUI but they can be set from the user's PC.

You'll also find that these private folders are more difficult to restore from backup.

Personally I've chosen not to use them, and keep all my files in ordinary shares.

FWIW you can delete the default shares if you like.

@Steedvlx600 wrote:

I now have a "snapshot" folder sitting in my home folder that I cannot delete no matter what I have tried. 

I have no snapshots in mine (and of course am not using the folders there anyway).  Since you just purchased, you have 90 day phone support - you could use it (or chat/email support) and let Netgear troubleshoot.

Normally I delete snapshots by going into the "recover" option in the admin gui, selecting the snapshot(s), then right-clicking and chosing delete.

Snapshots are a handy feature (though sometimes aren't suitable).  I have them turned on in most shares, using the custom snapshot mode to control retention. 

Message 3 of 7
Steedvlx600
Luminary

Well, I need to use private user folders. And, I would be incredibly irritated should I not be able to restore from backup... But, so far, everything about this box has been far more complicated than necessary. It often seems intentional.

But.... The question is... how can I get rid of the stuck snapshot folder?

Especially, if I cannot access permissions to take ownership of a simple folder... What system is so badly behaved that it creates folders with system or root ownership... INSIDE the private home folder - and then disallows access to permissions to deal with the problem? It's like a bad joke. 

Well, it seems the answer is the same as with a blown lightbulb when you walk into a room.... keep switching it on and off until something new happens... I went back into the share settings for snapshots and kept toggling the file access parameters there... It finally shook something loose... And, the folder was deleted by the system. seems like the "snapshot access" parameter was the key.

After this experience, I will never allow this snapshot nonsense to operate on my systems again. If something THIS basic is such a hassle, I can only imagine what REAL problems it could cause.

Message 4 of 7
Steedvlx600
Luminary

Thanks for that ray of hope. However,  SSH is just some mysterious realm to me. I COULD go there.... But, I wouldn't know what to do when I got there. <LOL>

Time to do some studying I guess.

I did manage to get the permissions to "shake loose" using the snapshot access settings. So, for now, things appear to be under control.

Thanks for the tip.

Message 5 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@Steedvlx600 wrote:

Well, I need to use private user folders.

Another option might be to create restricted shares, where you have more control over access.

@Steedvlx600 wrote:

But.... The question is... how can I get rid of the stuck snapshot folder?

You have 90 day phone support from the date of purchase.  If you are still within that window, the easiest way to solve your problem is to use it.

Message 6 of 7
Steedvlx600
Luminary

@StephenB wrote:

Another option might be to create restricted shares, where you have more control over access.

I think you are right. Although it is a shame to have to circumvent what is, otherwise, a reasonable standard hierarchy system. This might actually be the only way to get it working as intended. One more challenge with the system. And, I believe manually creating restrictive shares is exactly what will have to happen.

You have 90 day phone support from the date of purchase.  If you are still within that window, the easiest way to solve your problem is to use it. 

These systems are all within the 90days. But, I have pretty much given up on direct Netgear support... Long, sad story. I have no further trust in that sad system. 
This community is the best front-line for actually solving problems that I have found. And, that is a pretty good thing.

Thank you for the great suggestion. It may just go that way if there are any further problems.

Model: RN31600|ReadyNAS 300 Series 6- Bay
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements