× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Cannot enter boot menu or access my NAS RND 2110 v2 (ReadyNas Duo v2)

tioy
Follower

Cannot enter boot menu or access my NAS RND 2110 v2 (ReadyNas Duo v2)

Hi, I hope someone can help me.

My NAS has be unplugged for sometime (years) and I just hade to get some files and videos from it when I discovered that it seems to not be working anymore.

I only have one hard drive inserted i no. 1.

First symptom was that the power led was blinking 3 times and avtivity led pulsated on the power leds third blink. Then the sequence continues for ever and the device is not accessable. RAIDar show the NAS and everythin is green except the UPS (which is off since do not have one) and the led by the mac-address which is blue (lenghty ongoing background process.....). File System controll is 100%. Se attached pictures. Also the soft shut-down (pressing power twice), doesn't work so I have to unplug it everytime.

I have tried everything that I have found in this community and also in the manuals.

1. Removing hard drives and starting up and then inserting again.

I also tried to enter boot menu to try OS reinstall, by following the instructions below:

To access the boot menu:

1. Power off your unit.
  2. Using a straightened paper clip, press and hold the Reset button.
  3. Press the Power button to power on the unit.
  4. Continue to press the Reset button until the Power button LED, USB and backup status LED, disk 1 LED, and disk 2 LED illuminate.
  5. Press the Backup button to scroll through boot mode options.

All leds never light up. I only see disk led 1 and 2 flash at the same time and again after approx 30 sec. If I continue holding down the reset longer then only Disk led 2 is lit (no matter how long I hold it). This is not the pattern discibed above, so I have no idea what is happening. I stubbled upon a site that said that NAS duos bought in Europe do not have the same way to enter boot mode (I am in Europe and bought mine there). He discribed the disk 1, 2 led blinking and howto do factory reset. However, I do not want to lose my data.

After all my tries, the power led no longer has the 3-blinking sequenc as before. Now it is constantly blinking and the fan is running alla the time.

1. Does anyone recognize this problem or knows what is wrong? HELP
  2. Is there a way to save my data if the NAS is corrupted (SATA)? Please instruct me how to do this.
  3. Is it possible that it is not the disk that is the problem, that it is instead the NAS-case (do not know the English word, but I think you understand)?
  4. Tips on how to enter boot menu, since my NAS does not act as describe in the manual (see above)?

Thankful for all the help I can get.

readyNasblink.jpegraidarShowwhenPowerblinks.jpgreadyNasblink.jpeg

Model: RND2110v2|READYNAS DUO v2 (1TB: 1 X 1TB)|EOL
Message 1 of 5
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Cannot enter boot menu or access my NAS RND 2110 v2 (ReadyNas Duo v2)

@tioy

Welcome to the Community!

The NAS seems to be okay on RAIDar, have you tried accessing the NAS under file explorer using the IP Address?

Also what firmware is the NAS running? RAIDar is saying you have a Duo V1 which has a different procedure when it comes to accessing the Boot menu

You can determine what Duo you have with this link.

Just to set your expectation, if you have used the procedure for V2 on a V1 there might be a chance that you have triggered a Factory reset and in if this happened chances of data to be intact or recoverable will be slim to none.

Message 2 of 5
StephenB
Guru

@tioy wrote:

I have tried everything that I have found in this community and also in the manuals.

1. Removing hard drives and starting up and then inserting again.

Not sure where you saw this, but it was a really bad idea.  With your NAS, hot-inserting a disk normally will trigger a reformat of the drive, which in your case will lose all your data.  The blinking after 30 seconds was also very dangerous - that is initiating the factory default procedure, which also reformats the disk(s).

One thing you could try is connecting the disk to a Windows PC (using either SATA or a USB adapter/dock).  Then use R-linux for Windows - which is a free utility that would let you off-load the data on the hard drive (assuming it is still intact).  https://www.r-studio.com/free-linux-recovery/

@tioy wrote:

I stubbled upon a site that said that NAS duos bought in Europe do not have the same way to enter boot mode

No, that is incorrect.  As @Marc_V says, there are two Duo platforms - the original (called v1 here), and the Duo v2.  Both were sold world-wide.

They are very different, and the boot menu is not the same.  Unfortunately many users don't really know which platform they have, and that can result in very bad outcomes when they run into problems.

Message 3 of 5
mdgm
Virtuoso

Stuck on 100% file system check if that status doesn't change does suggest there could be a problem with the filesystem.

A Data Recovery attempt using R-Linux is certainly one approach that could be taken.

Message 4 of 5
Sandshark
Sensei

You have a Duo V1, not a V2, as shown in the RAIDar display you posted.  As @StephenB said, it's an easy mistake to make.  Netgear re-used the "V2" designation for an entirely different NAS after they had sold V1's with a minor modification as V2's.  In addition to what RAIDar indicates, if your NAS does not say "V2" on the front and have a fan that is the full width of the chassis, then it's a V1 and you are following the wrong procedure.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements