× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Cannot perform reset to factory defaults on a ReadyNAS pro/Ultra 2

AVoelp
Tutor

Cannot perform reset to factory defaults on a ReadyNAS pro/Ultra 2

I have a ReadyNAS Pro 2 with two disks installed that runs under RAIDiator 4.2.31. I would like to perform a reset to the factory defaults (including erasing the disks) since I want to sell the unit.

I tried to perform the reset from Frontview (System -> Update -> Factory Defaults), and I also tried using the reset switch on the back of the unit following the instructions provided here, but it does not work. After starting the reset process as described, the system re-boots,  both disk LEDs start blinking, and the unit remains in this state indefinitely. After shutting down and re-starting the unit, everything is still there as before.

Am I doing anything wrong? Is there another way of re-setting the unit?

Thank you,

Andreas

Model: RNDP2000|ReadyNAS Pro 2 Chassis only
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: Cannot perform reset to factory defaults on a ReadyNAS pro/Ultra 2

@AVoelp wrote:

Thanks very much. I have now removed the disks from the unit, and I have erased them using the diskpart -> clean all command on my PC running under Windows 10. Then I have re-inserted one of the disks into the ReadyNAS and have re-installed the OS using the reset button on tha back panel.

Did you use the OS reinstall procedure?  Or did you try a factory default?  I'm not sure what would happen if you tried to do an OS reinstall on a blank disk.  It is possible that the reinstall won't create the data volume.

Since you are in frontview, I suggest trying another factory default using the web ui.57-System.Update.FactoryDefault.png

FWIW, All you needed to do is power up the NAS with the disk installed (no need to use the reset if the disk is unformatted). 

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 6

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

Perhaps you didn't wait long enough.

After you do the factory reset, the system will wait for about 10 minutes after you reboot before it does anything.  That is to give you a chance to switch the system to FlexRAID mode before it proceeds.  After that, it will spend some time formatting the disks and installing the OS onto them.  During this window of time it is unreachable.  It will automatically create the RAID-1 array after that - the NAS should be reachable during that time, but it won't be very fast to respond.

If you are planning to sell the disks with the NAS, then you hopefully do realize that a factory reset doesn't erase them.  The formatting process won't totally destroy the files, so it would be possible for the buyer to reconstruct at least some of the data if they use the correct tools.

A better strategy is to connect the disks to a PC (either with SATA or USB), and erase the disks there.  In a Windows PC, this can be done with vendor tools - Seatools for Seagate disks; Lifeguard for Western Digital.  I believe you'd need different tools for a Mac.

Once the disks are erased, you can insert them into the NAS and power it up.  It will do a factory install (again, there is the same window of time when the NAS isn't reachable)

Message 2 of 6
AVoelp
Tutor

I waited for more than an hour but nothing happened. 

I am aware that formating does not really erase a disk. Planning to do this with my Windows PC. 

Message 3 of 6
Sandshark
Sensei

If you plan to erase the drives with a PC, there is no need for a reset.  The data that gets reset is all on the drives.

Message 4 of 6
AVoelp
Tutor

Thanks very much. I have now removed the disks from the unit, and I have erased them using the diskpart -> clean all command on my PC running under Windows 10. Then I have re-inserted one of the disks into the ReadyNAS and have re-installed the OS using the reset button on tha back panel.

I can reach Frontview from my web browser using the unit's IP address. On the volume configuration page I can see the disk, and the 'LED' shines green. However, the same page also tells me that the disk capacity has been fully used (100% in use), and when I try to create a new share on the disk, Frontview issues a message that no file system is available for creating the share. Moreover, when I go to the Frontview home page, the status of drive C is 'offline'.

I assume that I have of format the disk before using it (right?). How do I do this?

Thanks, Andreas

Message 5 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@AVoelp wrote:

Did you use the OS reinstall procedure?  Or did you try a factory default?  I'm not sure what would happen if you tried to do an OS reinstall on a blank disk.  It is possible that the reinstall won't create the data volume.

Since you are in frontview, I suggest trying another factory default using the web ui.57-System.Update.FactoryDefault.png

FWIW, All you needed to do is power up the NAS with the disk installed (no need to use the reset if the disk is unformatted). 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements