× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973
Reply

Cannot register RN104 to ReadyNAS Replicate

_frantic_
Aspirant

Cannot register RN104 to ReadyNAS Replicate

I had to rearrange disks and so I did a Factory Default on my RN104.

OS version is 6.8.1 (same es before FD).

Everything seems to work fine, but when I try to log the device into Replicate, I only get a message: "User name or password is invalid."

...which obviously is not the real problem, since credentials did not change. They do work on the Replicate web site. Also my RN312 runs on same network and is connected to the Replicate service.

 

I know, DNS settings are important. I am on DHCP, IPv4 only.

Any ideas, what is causing this? Are there any error log or setting fies I should check?

 

Best regards, frantic

Message 1 of 6
_frantic_
Aspirant

Re: Cannot register RN104 to ReadyNAS Replicate

...I could go to the ReadyNAS Replicate website, delete the device and then try to register it again.

Of course I would loose all jobs. Perhaps this is the only way to get a device back online after factory defaulting it. Not sure, if this would be the right procedure...

Message 2 of 6
StephenB
Guru

Re: Cannot register RN104 to ReadyNAS Replicate

Replicate is going away fairly soon, so I suggest switching to rsync over ssh anyway.  That would lose your existing backups.

Message 3 of 6
_frantic_
Aspirant

Re: Cannot register RN104 to ReadyNAS Replicate

I removed the device (lost all jobs), reassigned it and recreated all jobs. Everything is fine again.

Seems to be the way to go after Factory Default.

 


@StephenB wrote:

Replicate is going away fairly soon, so I suggest switching to rsync over ssh anyway.  


Now that is bad news.

rsync is not suitable for backing up a ReadyNAS device to another ReadyNAS. It lacks generations. And, it can either add stuff until the target overflows (i. e., it has to be wiped from time to time, loosing everything), or make an exact copy (like mirror). Not good at all.

 

I see only one alternative, which is ReadyDR.

...which is not an option on a RN104. I would have to buy another box. I don't like this idea too much.

Message 4 of 6
StephenB
Guru

Re: Cannot register RN104 to ReadyNAS Replicate


@_frantic_ wrote:

 

rsync is not suitable for backing up a ReadyNAS device to another ReadyNAS. It lacks generations. And, it can either add stuff until the target overflows (i. e., it has to be wiped from time to time, loosing everything), or make an exact copy (like mirror). Not good at all.


It's true that it isn't versioned.  However, if you have snapshots enabled on the backup NAS, then the backup will have previous versions that you can restore (both modified and deleted files/folders).  So it isn't exactly a mirror, the snapshots function similarly to versions.

 


@_frantic_ wrote:

 

... ReadyDR. ...which is not an option on a RN104. 


Correct. Note both the source and destination NAS need be support ReadyDR.

Message 5 of 6
_frantic_
Aspirant

Re: Cannot register RN104 to ReadyNAS Replicate

Sorry for answering late.

 


StephenB wrote:

However, if you have snapshots enabled on the backup NAS, then the backup will have previous versions that you can restore (both modified and deleted files/folders).  So it isn't exactly a mirror, the snapshots function similarly to versions.

 


You are right. I overlooked that option. In the past I have had some trouble with rsync. Therefore I have changed everything from rsync to Replicate some time ago.

Now, rsync can do backup jobs as well, if not better.

 

Also, I could solve my problems with Replicate. The solution was as expected:

  • got to ReadyNAS Replicate website
  • delete the device which had been reset to factory defaults
  • and then register it again
  • recreate all backup jobs using screenshots (there is no option to backup/restore job settings)

 

Best regards, frantic

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1232 views
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements